Wilbur Is Wasting Away

Guest Adrianne

Since Fuzzy is on antibiotics right now, I have been giving him Pepcid AC and Milk Thistle. Can you try this, too? I am very worried about your boy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IrskasMom

More Prayers and Hugs for your sweet Wilbur. I am all for it , that you seek the Care of another Vet or at least another Opinion.It seems like your other Vet did not be straight Forward with you or maybe he is stumped about all of it. Praying,Praying and Praying for many Good Days for Wilbur :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest dancewkathylee

We're still struggling with Wilbur, and I want to take him back to the vet. He's lost so much weight that you would probably be shocked if I showed you a current photo. In fact, I've quit taking photos of him because he looks so bad, and this isn't how I want to remember him.

He's eating and drinking fine. He doesn't always eat all his food at one time like he used to, but by bedtime he has cleaned his bowl. We feed him twice a day and have been giving him extra. His bathroom breaks are normal--urine color is normal, and he goes out about the same number of times a day as he always has. I check his poops for color and consistency, and they look the way they always have. No straining, no diarrhea, no vomiting. His tummy isn't distended, no rapid heartbeat, nothing.

He is not in any pain that I can see, and I've taken a good hard look these last few days thinking maybe I was just missing the signs. There is no shaking, no panting, no crying. He whines a little when he lies down, but he has a hard time manuevering that broken leg. If I do anything with his broken leg while he's lying down, his nose will start dripping. If I do anything with his broken leg while he's standing, he will either immediately move away or go limp on the other side of his back end. He doesn't cry or show any other signs that it hurts him; I think it just stresses him. He didn't get his Deramaxx last night because I give it to him after he eats, but he didn't eat until bedtime and I forgot to give him the pill. There's been not a bit of difference in him; he's calm and quiet today. I honestly do not believe I am missing any signals that he's in pain.

But he's wasting away. It's been 8.5 weeks since he broke his leg. If it is cancer, is it possible that the pain of it hasn't set in yet?

I've been on the internet this morning trying to do a little research, but I have so little to go on. The only thing I found that seemed to fit was an article on depression in dogs. Could depression be the explanation? We don't see any joy in his eyes, and it's been weeks since we got a tail wag. He sleeps most of the day, getting up to move to another spot, eat, or take a bathroom break.

When I take him to the vet, what do I have them check? What tests should I ask for? What should we be looking at?

I'm at such a loss, and every time I think there can't possibly be any more tears to cry, the well overflows again. We are almost to the point of conceding that Wilbur has the Bridge in his sights.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

I'm jumping in here late but, if he were human and just shedding weight without any other symptoms, I'd have his thyroid checked. Hyperactive thyroid=lots of weight loss. I'd think dogs would be the same. I also agree with the others more frequent food high in smaller doses. Easier to accomplish if you're not feeling 100% Good luck I'm sorry for your tears.

Guest EmilyandSioux

We are praying for you and Wilbur. At this point feed that boy whatever he wants as long as it is not spicey and give him free choice of when he wants to eat. I was wondering if you tried the canned pumpkin and if he liked it?

Guest Adrianne

Good news! (whew...it's about time.)

Friday was the best day Wilbur has had since he broke his leg December 10th. No pee-fest this morning, just out once for a quick business break. He had no trouble getting settled for his morning nap. He wasn't up and down and moving around trying to find a comfortable position. When he was up, he seemed to have a much easier time getting back down--less whimpering with his leg. He hasn't required any Tramadol today and hasn't had even a moment when I thought he might need it. He ate a little bit this morning, but this afternoon he received a care package from Wonder and Burpdog and what a happy boy he was! (See my thread and photos in Everything Else Greyhound). The enthusiastic eater was back! I was overjoyed! He went out in the snow and walked around a bit. It's been a happy, relaxed day for him, and he's felt good. And when Wilbur feels good, I feel good. tongue.gif

It doesn't sound at all like Wilbur's being picky about eating. This little boy is very, very ill, and barely able to eat. I suspect his leg is the least of his problems right now.

I have to respectfully disagree on him not being picky about eating. Thursday night he had green beans added in with his dog food. He picked out and ate every single green bean and left every single piece of kibble. He eagerly ate the piece of bread that was wrapped around his antibiotic pill. Plus, he has put some weight back on in the last few days since adding in more high-calorie food. Not a lot, but I can see a difference.

Guest Energy11

NOW, THIS IS GOOD NEWS!! I know you got more snow over there than we. We have three inches, I think you guys got six, right?

I am soooooooooooooooooo happy to hear about your good day with Wilbur!! Keep up the good work, both of you, and let me know if you need ANYTHING!

Many hugs! Dee

Wonderful! yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif Keep up the good appetite, Wilbur!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Greyt news...keep it up Wilbur :clap

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Just sending some good thoughts and scritchies to you and Wilbur this morning. (The scritchies are for Wilbur only, please! :wub: )

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Just checking in on you and Wilbur and wishing him a happy playdate today! :) I'm glad he's had a good few days and I know how relieved you must be Adrianne. I'll be anxious to hear how he does at his next appt. BIG hugs to Wilbur!!!

Guest Adrianne

Sadly, Wilbur's playdate had to be cancelled. Yesterday, he developed two large painful lumps on the inside of his leg. They're sandwiched between his legs, draining, and painful to the touch. The only way I can see them is by lying on the floor underneath him when he's standing. He doesn't like this and won't hold still long enough for me to investigate. I'm trying to get a flat, warm compress on them by working it up from his foot, but he's not happy with me. We may be making a run to the e-vet.

This is the one I can see by lying on the floor. The other one is behind this and in the crook of his leg where it joins his belly.

IMG_4104.jpg

Thankfully, he's still eating.

(The scritchies are for Wilbur only, please! wub.gif )

Darn, I could really use a scritchie right about now. lol.gif

OK, here are some scritchies for you too! :lol

Do you think he could have an infection? E-vet might be a good idea if only to get some antibiotics on board.

Dear God,

Please can you let Wilbur catch some luck? Even just a little?

Thank you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest eaglflyt

My thoughts are either infection that has drained down to the lowest point, or possibly some bleeding around the rod from the soft tissues that has accumulated at the lowest point. Does he have fever? Are the areas warmer than normal to touch?

I think I'd go to the Evet, too. Hopefully it's something that can be treated with some antibiotics or maybe even a simple incision and drainage ... followed by antibiotics.

Hugs to Wilbur and you, too!

Edited by eaglflyt