Wilbur Is Wasting Away

Guest Adrianne

Looks like the high calorie food might be helping. I hope things turn around quickly for sweet Wilbur. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest adriahna

Hang in there - just reading this, and I'm glad that Wilbur seems to be feeling and looking a bit better today. Lots of prayers for him, and for you.

Guest Energy11

It's amazing what a good night's sleep can do for your outlook. I'm back in the game today, ready to carry on and do whatever I need to do to get this sweet boy well. Thank you for all the uplifting thoughts. I'm probably the biggest worrier on the planet when it comes to Wilbur.

I think he looks better today--a little more filled out. Is that possible after just one day of high-calorie foods?

I did try to take him for a walk yesterday, but he absolutely refuses to leave the yard. It's his comfort zone. Plus, he gets tired pretty easily. He's been confined to the front yard, because he won't walk across the kitchen to get to go out back. He used the dog door a couple times early in his healing; we caught him coming back in. However, at some point he quit and will not touch the kitchen floor with his back legs. I think I'm going to get a long runner that will go carpet to dog door and see if he'll use it. Getting out in the back yard will expand his world a little bit.

I don't know of any other greyhounds in our immediate area, but I am extending an invitation to anyone on this board: if you are in the Atlanta area and would like to bring your grey over for a visit with Wilbur, let me know.

I'm guessing that could be either a hematoma, swelling from inflammation, or possibly scar tissue. Does it feel hard or soft? Is it warm?

The mound is hard, but not bone-hard, and my vet did draw fluid out of it about three weeks ago. It doesn't show up as anything on xrays, and it hasn't grown or changed shape. Maybe it looks so big to me because of all the weight loss. It's doesn't seem to be painful to him when I touch it or squeeze it, but he won't lay on that side at all. Even if we help him into a lying position on that hip, within two minutes he switches over to his other hip. He would lie on that hip before this came up on the leg, but not now. When we went to the vet the last time, he had to lie on that side for xrays, and after a few minutes, he could not and would not lie still on that side.

Where in the Atlanta area are you? I am pretty far north in Ellijay, but I am now with a group who has a lot of people in the Metro-Atlanta Area.

Thank you again everybody. And Wilbur thanks you.

Guest bigorangedog

I don't know of any other greyhounds in our immediate area, but I am extending an invitation to anyone on this board: if you are in the Atlanta area and would like to bring your grey over for a visit with Wilbur, let me know.

Where did you get Wilbur from? It wasn't Adopt a Greyhound Atlanta by any chance, was it? Carl who runs it is one of my very good friends. You might try giving him a call to chat about Wilbur and how he's doing (beware - Carl can be a talker when he gets going). Plus, if you hook up with them, you'll find LOTS of greys in your area to have playdates with. Let me know if you want me to shoot Carl an email and see if he knows anyone who lives near you. What city are you in? We lived in Decatur for 6 years. Glad Wilbur is doing a bit better today.

Jen

Guest Energy11

Where did you get Wilbur from? It wasn't Adopt a Greyhound Atlanta by any chance, was it? Carl who runs it is one of my very good friends. You might try giving him a call to chat about Wilbur and how he's doing (beware - Carl can be a talker when he gets going). Plus, if you hook up with them, you'll find LOTS of greys in your area to have playdates with. Let me know if you want me to shoot Carl an email and see if he knows anyone who lives near you. What city are you in? We lived in Decatur for 6 years. Glad Wilbur is doing a bit better today.

Jen

Yep! I was thinking about Carl, too! His right-hand person, Jo Ann, lives in Lawrenceville, Carl and Greysland, are in Stone Mountain, GA. Carl is VERY sweet, and I am sure he might have playmates for your Wilbur!

Adrianne, I didn't know you were in the Atlanta area. I'm in Marietta. I work more with SEGA than with Adopt-A-Greyhound Atlanta (I got my first girl from AAG, my current two from SEGA), but I'm sure it's possible to round up lots of greyhounds in this area.

My Jacey might not be the best company for Wilbur: she's a bit too queen-of-the-universe (even if it's someone else's universe). But my Sam is nearly 10, likes every greyhound he's ever met, and might be a good candidate for a visit. I'm working until 3:30 pm on Thursday, but maybe a visit that evening? (Weather forecast is for 40s and clear. Maybe Wilbur will want to go outside for a bit?) And my next day off work will be Sunday.

You can call me at 678-283-1099. And if you'd like, I can try posting to the SEGA Yahoo group (a bunch of SEGA people are on Facebook, too), and we can try finding other greyhounds near you.

Kathy

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest trevdog

I'm glad to hear you are having a better day today. If it's hard it may be scar tissue. Not that it's the same, but 2 of Dallas' toes have been broken and they have huge knots of scar tissue on the sides or them making her feet look somewhat deformed. One is from a splint and the other is from laying on the broken toe.

Hang in there, I know how tough it is...when will you hear from Dr C? And when is the next set of xrays planned?

And keep feeding him small meals that will help.

Guest Adrianne

Jen

Yep! I was thinking about Carl, too! His right-hand person, Jo Ann, lives in Lawrenceville, Carl and Greysland, are in Stone Mountain, GA. Carl is VERY sweet, and I am sure he might have playmates for your Wilbur!

Wilbur did not come from Adopt a Greyhound Atlanta or from SEGA. I'm going to send you a pm. The story of where Wilbur came from...well, there's just no words for it.

I wish I were in Georgia and I wish I could come love on Wilbur for a day and give you a chance to spend a day away and not worrying :) Instead, I just cheer you two on from the North. I'm ecstatic he's having a better day! I wonder if additional calcium and vitamin D would help him build bone....since he can't really do weight bearing yet.... please add that to your list of questions for your vets

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Wilbur did not come from Adopt a Greyhound Atlanta or from SEGA. I'm going to send you a pm. The story of where Wilbur came from...well, there's just no words for it.

Okay, now I'm really curious! lol.gif

Good idea about the runner for the kitchen floor. That's the only way we get our greys out the door, and they don't even have leg troubles!

Glad you're feeling better!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest bigorangedog

Got your PM.... That is quite a story!

Well, you might want to hook up with Carl anyway, and that would give you more "greyhound community" in your area. He's an odd duck (you get that way if you live with 30+ greyhounds for 20 years! LOL) but we love him. Let me know if you want me to call him or anything. I hope Wilbur continues to do a little better each day!!

Whatever Wilbur's story, he's family, and so are you Adrianne. I think you're on to something with the runner. Might be worth taking a few minutes to analyzing everything about his surroundings, putting yourself in his position. If you had a rod in your leg, what would cause you problems? As far as not wanting to leave the yard, he's probably feeling vulnerable right now - too vulnerable to expose himself to the outside world, although should you get a few pounds on him, he might feel well enough to just go out on the street and stand for a few minutes. Venturing out even for a few minutes will make him feel so much better, as long as it's on his terms.

We will keep praying for a good appetite, rejuvenating rest and maybe a visit from a new friend to brighten Wilbur's day.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Adrianne

Thank you everyone for holding my boy in your thoughts and prayers. The advice here is soooo good!

Kathy (KF_in_Georgia) is bringing her boy, Sam, over on Sunday for a visit. I don't expect Wilbur will do much playing, but he may enjoy the company. I can't wait. yay.gif

Thank you everyone for holding my boy in your thoughts and prayers. The advice here is soooo good!

Kathy (KF_in_Georgia) is bringing her boy, Sam, over on Sunday for a visit. I don't expect Wilbur will do much playing, but he may enjoy the company. I can't wait. yay.gif

That's so great, Sam may really help lift Wilbur's spirits

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest iseegreyhounds

I'm not familiar with Wilbur's whole story, but I saw that he is on Deramaxx so thought I'd share my experience with you. Several years ago it nearly killed one of my senior greys, who was taking it for arthritis. It may be something for you to consider, if that's what he's been taking. It didn't seem to be a problem for the first few weeks so it wasn't the first thing considered. Her only symptoms were a growing reluctance to eat, weight loss, and lethargy. She wasn't vomiting and there was no blood, that I saw, in her stool or urine. Doc's ran all sorts of tests but found nothing. They both dismissed the suggestion that it could be the meds. I took her off on my own and found she quickly became a little less lethargic, and a little more willing to start eat things like yogurt, baby foods, and a bland diet. It was eventually determined that Deramaxx had caused serious damage to her stomach lining. She died of unrelated causes a few months later, but never fully recovered from the Deramaxx damage.

Hope whatever is wrong with Wilbur is diagnosed quickly, and that whatever it is can be resolved. Poor baby. He sounds miserable and you sound worried sick. Greys are so stoic it's often impossible to tell if they are in pain, or not.

You, Wilbur and DH continue to be in my thoughts. Good Luck today :grouphug Come on Wilbur, heal up baby...you have a whole community behind you sending lots of love and prayers.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest IrskasMom

Was checking in on Wilbur and you Adrianne ????This Snow here has put quiet a stress on me to keep the Backyard open for Morty.But your Stress is much worse and I am sending more Prayers and gentle Hugs for you and Wilbur :grouphug:grouphug