Update On Apollo (Wolfe)

Guest dwolfe711

Guest dwolfe711

With two Apollo's on the board right now fighting cancer it may get confusing so I'll use Apollo (Wolfe) when posting about our boy. Our thoughts and prayers are with Jen's Apollo as he undergoes consult and possible treatment today.

Apollo (Wolfe) is doing well. Our email consult with Dr. Couto did not confirm the type of tumor with the x-ray our vet took but he narrowed down to two types. Regardless of what type it is, the tumor is behind the eye and expanding in the nasal cavity and we have decided to not pursue the treatments possible - he is 13.5 and would not do well going repeatedly for radiation to gain a few months. The other option depending on the final diagnosis would be surgery to try to remove the mass - we just can't see putting him through that either. So we are going to treat with pain meds until it is time to send him to the Bridge. We feel that is the best for him. Right now he is on low doses of Tramadol and deramaxx. Since he's on the pain meds he does not care if we touch the lump or the eye or area around it. He is eating as always (ravenous!!) and he has been running again in the yard the past few days. He's such a happy boy - when that changes then we will know the time is near. He will panic at the vet's when the time comes so we have gotten a tranquilizer to give him when it is time to help calm him before we even leave the house. I hope that will help the process go easier for him and us and the vet.

I can't believe we are making these decisions for the seventh time in 17 years - six greys at the Bridge - five because of cancer - and now Apollo - :cry1:brokenheart

Guest SillyIzzysMom

How long did it take Dr. Couto to give you his opinion? We've (my Vet and I) have been trying to get a consult from him. . .she sent x-rays last week (but to the main OSU email for him) then I gave her the two email addresses I've seen here to her and yesterday morning early they took better films of Shazamm and sent them and still no response. The vet said she wanted to keep Shazamm there until she heard back from Dr. Couto, but I talked her into letting me bring him home this morning. He had already stayed there overnight and I started worrying that maybe Dr. Couto just wasn't going to respond and I couldn't stand the idea of him sitting around all day (all weekend?) in a cage waiting to hear from Dr. Couto.

My vet and an orthopedic consultant in Dallas both think Shazamm has OS in his sacrum. I'm (obviously) hoping that Dr. C. disagrees and it's not that. . .but I know that's unlikely to happen. What I would like, though is to have his opinion on what's going on with our Zamm.

Anybody else ever have trouble getting in touch with him? I know he's busy, but it seems like I've never heard of anybody else having this trouble. Does he just take certain cases? We sent the films to him and the main greyosu email address (that I'm assuming that his team checks).

Thank you for posting an update, I think about your handsome boy all the time but don't want to pester you asking.

He will always be tucked very tightly in my prayers and I am just so glad that you're his mom

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I am sorry. I am glad that the meds are working and I hope you have many many more happy moments together. Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest dwolfe711

Melissa - Dr. Couto usually responds quickly and if he is not available his colleagues will. I emailed to his personal email and he got back to me the next morning. It took a week to get his response on the x-rays and slides because he was gone five days at a conference. But when he was in I would get a response from him at least once a day in the early morning usually. I would have liked to take Apollo out to OSU for further x-rays and consult, but given our probably diagnosis and treatment and Apollo's age, we wouldn't do anything more than pain management anyway - and with so many greys needing immediate consult and diagnosis and treatment - I did not want to take any more of Dr. Couto's time. But someone does usually get back quickly. I do know that right now they have a lot of consults and surgeries going on - just reading the posts on GT about greys with cancer is so depressing - Good luck with Shazamm - I hope you get good news - so sorry you are going through this too -

Guest dwolfe711

Thanks, Diane - mmmmmmm, ice cream - now that sounds like a plan. Actually we still have some Burpdog treaties in the freezer - he LOVES them - so I'll have to get them out to thaw for the weekend - anything he wants right now he gets - EXCEPT - I am still insisting on the muzzle and poop guard for outside since he just will not stop eating poop. I toyed with the idea of just letting him do it if it makes him happy for the time he has left - but then I decided NO - when he eats poop it is very diffcult to get close to him for loving and kisses - so I am going to continue my stance on muzzle when outside and NO POOP EATING!! :rolleyes::P

Guest dwolfe711

Claudia - thanks - I know you how special you think he is - and so do we!! Wish we were closer so he could meet you!

Beth - our hearts are still breaking for Smiley - he was there for his surgery when we first started consulting with Dr. Couto via email -

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Anybody else ever have trouble getting in touch with him? I know he's busy, but it seems like I've never heard of anybody else having this trouble. Does he just take certain cases? We sent the films to him and the main greyosu email address (that I'm assuming that his team checks).

I had some trouble getting a response too. It turned out the Doctor originally got my e-mail left the program and it took several days before I got synced up with someone.

Guest TeddysMom

There are so many people and their hounds trying to deal with this horrible disease that my heart goes out to all of them. It is scary for me as a new gh person and hopefully I will be able to learn from all of you. I am so sorry for your Apollo and he will also be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he and you make lots of wonderful memories in whatever time he has.

Guest Energy11

You are doing exactly what I would do, given your situation. Sending tons of love, hugs ,and many prayers your way, from us here. Dee and The Five.

This is heartbreaking. Enjoy what time you have left with each other. Make wonderful memories. My heart goes out to you.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm sorry.

I hope Apollo has lots of good happy days remaining so you can sare lots of poopless kisses and ice cream.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest zoolaine

I am sorry to hear about Apollo but it sounds like he is doing ok. I hope you have many good days with him. My Sunny was diagnosed this week with cutaneous lymphoma and I am mental now at the point where I can celebrate his life for the next 6-12 months that he has with us.

Guest bigorangedog

I'm glad your Apollo is still feeling okay and enjoying life. I hope you get lots more good times with him. He sounds like such a sweetheart. :grouphug And thanks for the good thoughts for my Apollo too!