Need Healing Prayers For Jake

I didn't post earlier, as this started as the same old thing - swollen leg no real reason. Then I was just plain scared. As many of you know, Jake has had recurring leg swellings(3 different legs) for almost 2 years. Swelling, hot, sometimes a fever, often not. We've done many tests including a joint tap with no answers. Dr Couto and my own vet Miki deducedf he was just a klutz and recommended metacam and rest for future injuries.

I ordered a new bottle of metacam on Dec 13th and realized, when the clinic phoned to ask if I wanted to supersize my order rolleyes.gif , that we were seeing an increase in flairs. That could be explained by the snow since he loves to spin in it. I got a bit worried when we had one Dec 13, another Dec 24. both were his back right. And then on Dec 28th he started limping heavily on his back left. He could barely hobble around with both legs affected. I was having many panicky thoughts.

We saw Miki on Tuesday and she found that his hock was really, really hot, no fever but his lymph node behind his knee was up. She is stumped. He tested neg to tick disease when he was a blood donor, using a DNA test But, since we know there are many, many tick diseases and likely some we don't know exist, we are going to treat him as if he has one.

Lets pray the doxy has a positive effect and he gets a break from all the discomfort.

christmas107.jpg

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know someone in Las Vegas with a Guam dog who has a leg that swells up to several times it's normal size, is hot and I believe it sometimes "weeps". She had many tests run and finally took him to a holistic vet and has had a lot of success with acupuncture. I don't think she is on GT, but she adopted Stirling who is now named Cartier, he is a HUGE beautiful blue and white boy, very gentle and took my little Claire under his wing when she stayed with them over the holidays. If you are interested, and she is ok with it, I can get you her email address and you could see if this is similar to what has been going on with Cartier.

Edited to add that I just remembered that she was told his leg (one of his rear legs) would swell up like this in Guam before he came to live with her.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

:goodluck

:kiss2 Jake

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Many prayers for handsome Jake who seriously needs a break. I don't think I will ever understand how things like this can be unexplained. It just makes no sense to me, as I'm sure it makes no sense to you Janet.

I am really hoping this helps him and that 2010 gets better and better

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh, Jake, I sure hope your Mom and your vets can find out what's wrong with your legs. It's no fun, and it worries your Mom to death.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest eaglflyt

I'll be sending up prayers for Jake. This sounds like the right thing to do and what I would do if this was happening to our girl. The latest recommendations are for a bit higher dose of doxy than originally recommended, so you might check into the current dose recommended for her. Protatek labs and Dr. Cynthia Holland will also be glad to help with more extensive testing or dosage recommendations with the latest info. There's also a testing fee discount for owners of adopted greyhounds.

You might also want to join the Tick-L list since there's more than one expert on that list that is willing to help. Here's more INFO. The tick-l list info is at the bottom of that page.

Good Luck!

Shelly in OK

candle.gif Prayers for Jake!

Was lyme & lepto included in his testing?

Yes they were Julie. I'm really confident about the tests we've done. Dr Couto has given us guidance all along. We were all shocked I think when the joint tap did not show Immune Mediated Polyarthritis. Especially with the rotating lameness.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest mcsheltie

Yes they were Julie. I'm really confident about the tests we've done. Dr Couto has given us guidance all along. We were all shocked I think when the joint tap did not show Immune Mediated Polyarthritis. Especially with the rotating lameness.

I JUST HATE MEDICAL MYSTERIES!!! I read recently about a dog with periodic joint swelling. But I do not remember where I saw it (not on this forum) If the brain cell comes back to life I'll let you know.

Edited by mcsheltie

Guest mcsheltie

I JUST HATE MEDICAL MYSTERIES!!! I read recently about a dog with periodic joint swelling. But I do not remember where I saw it (not on this forum) If the brain cell comes back to life I'll let you know.

I found it. It was Lupus.

Sending prayers. I hope you and your vet are onto something.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Aw Janet, sending a grouphug.gif for you and healing prayers for Jake.

Deb

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest FullMetalFrank

I have followed along with Jake's saga and I can only imagine how frustrating it is to still have no definative diagnosis after all this time; when all you really want to do is get him better. I will keep your sweet boy in my prayers.