Cousin Minnie

Guest Hannah

Holly's 'cousin' Minnie was my mum and dad's dog.

A few months after our first family dog went to the bridge even my sisters were asking mum and dad if we were going to adopt another dog.

so the search began and after a few trips to see animals mum and dad decided it would be easier if they left the kids at home as I would have adopted every dog we saw.

One sunday afternoon in august they went out and left us with grandma. They went to the local pound and looked at dogs.

The rules there are that you have to look at the adult dogs first. They saw lots of dogs which were not really suitable for our family. They were tempted by one dog called Sally (our old dog had been called Sally). Each kennel had a window into it and a clipboard with info about the dog. Most of the dogs had to jump up to see through the window and the descriptions included things like "eats sofas". Sally's description just said "lovely dog". however she was sat looking down through the window. They took her for a walk and dad said he had met smaller ponies, so lovely as she was she was not for us.

The person taking them round then took them to see the puppies. Most of them were already spoken for once they were old enough to go and were going to be gigantic in size when grown.

Mum and dad had just about given up on finding a dog that day when they were taken to the last kennel in the row and told that the pup in there was available but didnt seem interested in anything. So they looked into a seemingly empty kennel and called "Minnie" (a collection of potential names had already been decided) and this little nose popped up out of the bed followed by a couple of ears and a tan coloured puppy came wondering out to see them.

Minnie came home that day and settled straight into our home. The vets estimated her age and we worked back and decided that her official birthday would be the same as my mum's brother in early July.

I was on summer holiday so spent all day every day with Minnie taking her for walks, teaching her to sit with the aid of a bag of Jelly Babies.

When I went back to University Minnie sulked and stopped eating. she even refused chocolate (mum was getting a bit desperate and offering her anything in the hope she would eat something). and so began the reverse care package ritual. Normally people at home post care packages to those at university. I was at university and posted home care packages to the dog :lol but it worked and she stopped sulking and started eating. The postman thought the whole thing very funny especially when Minnie would be sat waiting for him, but only on the days when there was a parcel addressed to her.

When I moved away from home the idea was that Minnie was going to come with me, but by the time I had found a place and got my working routine settled Minnie had settled at home and didnt need care packages any more (although I still sent the odd one or two every year).

She was mostly terrier and a notorious cat chaser, until she met my cats (mono and fluffy). She came to stay with me when my parents were on holiday and walked in only to be confronted by two cats who were the same size as she was. She tried to chase them but they refused to be chased and simply turned their backs on her.

Years later when Linus was a kitten she tried to chase him and succeeded, sort of. He was used to playing with Holly so when they had rampaged through the house in one direction he turned round and chased her back. that was the last time she chased any of my cats :lol

She loved her walks and going out to sniff the sniffs especially in autumn, she could spend hours snuffling through piles of leaves.

Her health had been deteriorating over the past few years but it started going fairly rapidly at easter this year.

A couple of weeks ago I took Holly and Minnie to a park and Minnie spent 15 minutes snuffling through the leaves before telling us she was tired. So she went back in the car while holly ran around and did highly energetic things such as swimming in the duck pond.

Last tuesday morning Minnie was very poorly, she didnt want to eat and the light had gone from her eyes so mum and dad made the decision to let her go. Apparently she looked calm and serene as she walked into the vets for the last time.

I don't have any photos of her on this computer, but I will post some later when I am on my home PC.

I am so sorry. Minnie sounds like a real character!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so sorry. :cry1 Minnie was a special girl. My sympathy to you and your family.

Godspeed Minnie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:grouphug

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

I'm so sorry. Minnie sounds like a very special girl who waited for the right family to come along before she got excited about anything. What a funny story about Linus chasing her! May Minnie live long in the fond memories of those whose lives she enriched.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Gentle hugs to your mum and dad an all who knew Minnie. Don't forget the pictures if you run across them.

Godspeed, precious girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for the loss of Minnie :f_pink I'll be waiting for pictures.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.