Amputation Tomorrow!

Guest dfriedri

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigorangedog

We will be thinking of you!!! Please update and let us know how your baby is doing!

We are going down this same road on Friday with my sweet little Whitey...

Jen

:goodluck for successful surgery and a quick and uneventful recovery.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest dfriedri
We will be thinking of you!!! Please update and let us know how your baby is doing!

We are going down this same road on Friday with my sweet little Whitey...

Jen

Oh I'm sorry you have to go thru it too!

I just keep feeling so absolutely guilty! I know this is the only way that she even has a chance for years and I so want her to be done with all the pain but at the same time I worry that she won't be happy with this decision either!

She's a tough and brave girl but she is also very sweet and sometimes timid and I just don't know!

Sorry I think I'm going thru panic mode.

Best of luck to Star :grouphug

Darcy (front right amputee) sends her a three paws up.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Sending lots of good thoughts for Star :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck and a :bighug for you.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I did this just a month ago. While I had been prepared for what her surgical site will look like and all the tubes and other hospital-like shocks. No one said anything about the look on her face the first day.

Diamond had a look of shock and panic that she no longer had a leg. She woke up and it was gone. Something was terribly wrong. But it lasted only that first day. After that, she improved tremendously.

I just wanted to warn you. That part of her amp was really the only thing that sent me to tears. But I did make the right decision. Even though we are still fighting an infection at the surgical site, she is pain free. She hops around great. Her personality is back. That had disappeared a couple weeks before her surgery. (and in case you forgot...she's 12). The meds she was on did have her panting a lot and restless. But as soon as we were able to get rid of her pain meds, she was fine.

Good luck. It'll be a rough 2 weeks ahead, but SO worth it.

You know you guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sending prayers for Star. Get lots of rest, you'll need it for when she returns home.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

You and Star have been in so many prayers since your first post about her diagnosis. I'm hoping that she will do great with the surgery. You've gotten some excellent advice, and everyone will be here for you as you and Star continue this journey. I would have to agree that these next few weeks will be hard, as she adjusts. Since they are all different, you can never tell just how the recovery period will go. While a lot of it depends on their age and personality, there are things that you have no control over---how she'll react to the anesthesia and pain meds (and how well her body will process them out of her system), how the incision site will heal, edema in the other legs etc. Just try and get some rest now, and tell yourself that "This will pass." And it will. By doing the amp, you have eliminated the possibility of that leg fracturing, causing her tremendous pain, and having to make a life and death decision very quickly. That said, it's natural that you may have regrets. Some people can look at their babies and not see that missing leg. I wish I could honestly say I was one of them. Even though, intellectually, I knew that I'd done the right thing for Winnie, that she was not in pain anymore, and that she was adjusting beautifully, there were times that I wished that my beautiful girl was whole again. But that was projecting my HUMAN emotions on her. As Dr. Couto says, "Dogs have 4 legs and a spare." There is no stigma in the animal world against 3 leggers. And when they adjust, they don't really know that they are handicapped. When I saw Winnie run for joy on 3 strong legs, I knew I'd given her that gift. And if you have done that for Star, for that reason, you can't second guess your decision, or have regrets. You love your girl, and are trying to keep her safe and happy.

Please let us know how she is doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest bigorangedog
I just keep feeling so absolutely guilty! I know this is the only way that she even has a chance for years and I so want her to be done with all the pain but at the same time I worry that she won't be happy with this decision either!

She's a tough and brave girl but she is also very sweet and sometimes timid and I just don't know!

Sorry I think I'm going thru panic mode.

Believe me, I am feeling the exact same way!! I wonder 100 times a day if we are doing the right thing. Especially since he is still running around and playbowing, and doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain. But you can see the osteo on the xrays clear as day, and I know it is better to do it as soon as possible. Still, hard to think about cutting the leg off a seemingly healthy dog. We've only had Whitey for 3 weeks, and I want to give him a chance to enjoy having a forever family, even though he is 11 years old.

Are you on Circle of Grey? They are very helpful with questions since a lot of people there have been through this too. I'm sure that your girl is going to be fine, and I hope the first few days are not too hard on you both. We are thinking of you!!!

Jen