Sensitive - Euthanasia

Guest Whistle

Guest Whistle

I will be going through this for the first time with my first hound on Friday, which will be his fifth gotcha day :cry1.

I have found a lot of information via medical-like articles on the internet, but I am hoping to get information from real folks who have been there. This has been a difficult and heartbreaking decision, and I am trying to prepare myself for what to really expect. The vet will be coming to our home.

Thank you for reading. I would much appreciate any advice.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoil that sweet hound rotten until Friday! Enjoy every last second and celebrate his life. I have not yet had to put a pet down, but have been there to witness the passing of a friend's beloved shepherd. He went calmly and peacefully while surrounded by those who loved him the most. I wish all animals could be sent to the bridge that way.

Hugs to you and your buddy. I hope it's as peaceful as JP's passing was.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

We will be thinking of you both on Friday, I'm so sorry.

Every time I've been through it, it's the worst day of my life and I just keep reminding myself that it is a gift that we are allowed to give them. And the final gift of love hurts the most.

You will be there for him and be there to hold him and stay strong.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greytbookert

Unfortunately, I've had to make that decision more times than I like to think about, 2 very recently.

The actual clinical process is quite simple, they give your hound a sedative, which will allow your hound to relax. Then the medication is administered by a shot and typically they just slip away to eternal rest. This is how it was done for each of our hounds and it was very peaceful. However, it was very emotional as well. The vet allowed us all the time we wanted with them before the final shot was delivered.

Please enjoy these last days with your hound and make happy memories, they will come in handy as you go through the grieving process.

Sending many hugs and prayers for you!

Guest Che_mar_Cody

:cry1 :cry1 :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

Do all his favorite things to do if he's still able to do so and yes spoil him. Many thoughts are with you on Friday.

I had to make the same decision this past June. My best advice is, no matter the circumstance, don't beat yourself up and remember that the decision was made out of love and compassion.

I'm very sorry you have to go through this. You and your hound are in my thoughts :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Whistle

Many thanks for all the kind words. Yes, he is being spoiled rotten. We were just sitting here discussing whether he would rather have McDonalds or a steak for dinner :) I have had since 09/22 when he was diagnosed with osteo to come to terms with this (if you could call it that), and I have been spoiling him rotten every minute since.

I do have another question. For those who have been in our situation, is there anyone who has let a second hound be there for it? I have another boy, and they are very attached. I don't want to scare my other hound, but I don't want him wondering where is brother went either...

Guest Scouts_mom

Unfortunately I have been thru what you are facing several times for both my dogs and my cats. I truly believe it is the last gift you can give your pets.

I am glad you are doing it at home--it is a lot easier on the dog. And if he/she has a fear of the vet's office, ask the vet not to wear their white coat when they come. My first grey, Scout, hated the vet's office and realized as soon as the vet in her white coat came inside that she was from "that evil place". She left, went back to her car and took off her coat, and returned. This time she was greeted as a friend who knew just where to scratch!

My vet uses two shots, one that makes the dog sleepy and then, when they are asleep, the one that stops the heart. Your dog will just drift off to a deep sleep, with you petting him and telling him how grateful you are that he is your friend. Try not to be emotional so he doesn't know how upset you are--it will just upset him.

Afterwards, my vet will leave for a few minutes so I can have some alone time with my dog. Then she has taken the body away (and the dog's bed as I don't want it around anymore) to be cremated. Do be sure to ask for the ashes back. For one cat, I was broke and decided to go the cheaper route and not have a private cremation with the ashes returned. I know it made no difference to my cat, but I have always regretted that decision. For my other babies, I have scattered their ashes in their favorite places in my yard and often remember them when I am out in the yard.

I will be thinking of you on Friday.

I think it's wonderful that your vet is coming to your home. I think it's much easier on them that way. I don't know if I would have the other hound in there while it's happening, but I would definitely let the hound see him afterwards, so that he understands that his friend is gone. :grouphug :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I think if that option is available to you, having the vet come to your home is a wonderful idea. Since this is the last thing your precious hound will experience, it's important to make it as peaceful as possible. A lot of people who have never had to put an animal to sleep question whether they will be able to be there with them. I'm hoping that you've decided to stay. It may be the hardest thing you've ever done, but it is worth it.

Please cherish these few days you have together. Our animals do not understand the concept of future sadness, so make sure he knows that he is safe and loved.

I'm so sorry you are faced with this decision. Whether it is the first time or the 10th, it doesn't get easier. Know that you are not alone.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Scouts_mom

PS.

I have always let my other pets be in the room when the vet is there, and make sure they can sniff the body to realize their friend is gone. I think animals accept death much more easily than we do and understand their friend is gone. Otherwise they may spend time searching and worrying about where they are.

Guest fastdogs

Ugghh. It's so emotionally draining. All of the questions that run through your head about doing the right thing and the timing. It's hard, but it's the right thing for your hound who is totally dependent upon you to take care of him. If you know that there is no hope of things getting better, then not doing it is selfish.

It sucks, but it's the right thing to do.

:bighug

I've always had pets, so I've had to go through this several times. It's never easy. However, I've never once questioned that I was making the right decision for my pets. I strongly believe that they let us know when it's their time. I've never been able to bring myself to be there for the actual procedure though. I've always taken my pet to the vets office, but they take them into a separate room for the final injection. It's a personal decision and I would never judge anyone for their decision either way. I do think it's wonderful that your vet can come to your house.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I have sent off two at home. I remove the other dogs while it is happening and let them in when it is over so they can sniff if they want to. I do not want the remaining dogs to see the act especially if this is their regular vet. They are smarter than we think they are.

Two shots, one prep tranquillizer then the actual is what my vet uses and it is very good. I always hold them and talk the them. Tell them what to expect, how good it will feel to be able to run and play and I tell them not to be afraid. I try very hard not to cry until they are gone, but sometimes that works and sometimes not.....I don't want to scare them. I want the passing to be as peaceful as possible.

I'll be thinking of you :grouphug

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Other than the obvious spoiling, decide whether you want to be in the room or not. Everyone's comfort level is different and there is nothing wrong with that. Usually the vet will heavily sedate and give you a minute for the last kisses/etc. Just try to hold it together until it's all over. excessive crying will just stress your hound out more. Remember your doing the most unselfish thing in the world. Giving your hound a dignified passing to that rainbow bridge. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

------

Jessica

Your Grey is just moving into your heart , close your eyes any time and think of him and you will see him .

What a beautiful, comforting thought; this made me cry :cry1

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I can't even really read this post. Your dog is your best friend and you are doing what is needed to give him peace. I am so sorry for you and know your pain as I have had to do this myself with my first two greys.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Energy11

I think it is a great idea to have the vet come to your home. I hope to do that as well, when the time comes here. It is a lot less stressful for all involved.

Like gracegirl said, spoil her rotten and love her bunches till Friday!

Sorry to hear you have to go through this! Love, hugs and prayers from us.

Guest Whistle
I think if that option is available to you, having the vet come to your home is a wonderful idea. Since this is the last thing your precious hound will experience, it's important to make it as peaceful as possible. A lot of people who have never had to put an animal to sleep question whether they will be able to be there with them. I'm hoping that you've decided to stay. It may be the hardest thing you've ever done, but it is worth it.

Please cherish these few days you have together. Our animals do not understand the concept of future sadness, so make sure he knows that he is safe and loved.

I'm so sorry you are faced with this decision. Whether it is the first time or the 10th, it doesn't get easier. Know that you are not alone.

Yes, I do plan to stay and hold him as he passes.

As for your other boy, many may not agree with this, but I believe they already know

You know, I absolutely agree with this. My other hound has been having a lot of issues. He is an insecure hound and would never make a good only hound. I am actually going to Southland on Saturday to pick up a hound to foster with intent. The date was set to pick this boy up when I thought my Bribz would still have a few more months. It will be bittersweet - letting Bribz go and bringing home another the next day, but it seems like the right thing to do in my heart, and I am hoping it will help my boy Stopper with his grief.

Your Grey is just moving into your heart , close your eyes any time and think of him and you will see him .

This really has the tears flowing, but it is comforting. I will never forget it.

I have sent off two at home. I remove the other dogs while it is happening and let them in when it is over so they can sniff if they want to. I do not want the remaining dogs to see the act especially if this is their regular vet. They are smarter than we think they are.

Two shots, one prep tranquillizer then the actual is what my vet uses and it is very good. I always hold them and talk the them. Tell them what to expect, how good it will feel to be able to run and play and I tell them not to be afraid. I try very hard not to cry until they are gone, but sometimes that works and sometimes not.....I don't want to scare them. I want the passing to be as peaceful as possible.

I'll be thinking of you :grouphug

I hadn't even thought to remove Stopper and let him see Bribz afterward. That is exactly what I will do. Thank you.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words.

This is what I have learned. First, never forget that it is the highest act of love- the most loving thing that you can do-willingly accepting the pain of such a decision onto yourself, because it is best for your beloved. Your hound knows that too. 2nd: whether you realize it or not, it is not the end-only the body will die-the spirit- the real dog- what you fell in love with- will cross over. Actually there is quite a bit in the Bible about such things. One of my favorite references is Revelation 5:11-13 where it speaks of the animals in heaven praising the Lord. Regarding your other hound, he will know what has happenned to his brother whether you let them be together as the first one crosses over or not. Personally I think he has the right to be there and I would allow him to be if he wanted to. Our dogs are sometimes more understanding of what is going on than we are for various reasons. Continue to be focused on love as you are now, be as open minded about it as you can(realize you might not understand everything that is going on correctly), and love will see you through this excruciatingly painful experience. This has just been my experience and I hope it helps. I seen this posted before and it helps me: WE ARE NOT EARTH BEINGS GOING THROUGH A TEMPORARY SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE. WE ARE SPIRITUAL BEINGS GOING THROUGH A TEMPORARY EARTH EXPERIENCE. And never forget you will ALWAYS have each others love:

For love is as strong as death….

Many waters cannot quench love,

Nor can the floods drown it.

Song of Solomon 8:6-7

I will be praying for you as you go through this-may God bless you and give you strength. Acting out of such deep love is the most anyone can ever do.

Edited by racindog

I do have another question. For those who have been in our situation, is there anyone who has let a second hound be there for it? I have another boy, and they are very attached. I don't want to scare my other hound, but I don't want him wondering where is brother went either...

My friend who asked us to be with her when JP, her shepherd, crossed the bridge also had other dogs in attendance. JP's brother Jasper was there, along with their three cats plus Grace and Fenway.

Oddly that is the only time in their lives that G + F have paid no attention to house cats. I am convinced they knew what was going on. If I were you, I'd have his brother there as well.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest dobiegrey

I have had to do it twice at home and once at the vet, I much perfer being home, they are comfortable and relaxed and surrounded by the people they love most. As for your other boy, I too would make sure he has a chance to sniff and figure out that his "brother" is gone, I have found they deal with it much better that way, the process itself is very peaceful and quiet I always hold them in my arms and tell them how much I love them and that I will see them again! It is not as hard as you would expect because I think our brains shut down in parts and you are able to do what is very best for this very special loved member of your family. Good Luck, I will be praying for your strength and your peace of mind in knowing that you are doing the very kindest thing you can do for your boy and that is to hold him in your arms as he is passing into the next stage. His energy is NEVER gone!

Lou