Help! Any Info On The Drug Proin Reaction Needed

Guest Twiggy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhillyPups

I am so very sorry for your loss :bighug

You are doing what is best for Brandy. When I lost my Runner quite suddenly, I almost lost SugarBear to depression. I brought Stepper into our home and he saved both our lives.

Brandy will pick her traveling companion. Stepper picked Zeus, and I am glad he did.

I am just SO sorry to hear of your loss. I am crying with you. :cry1

Please don't blame yourself. I had many bad reactions to drugs when I was a child and nearly died at least twice. Do I blame my mother, or my doctor, for giving me penicillin and aspirin? No. I was sick enough to need them, and they both did what they thought was right. It was simply that my body couldn't cope with these two drugs. The same applies to you and your vet. You both did what you thought was the right thing for Twiggy, and you should not blame yourself for this tragic loss. Hindsight is perfect. Sadly, we can't predict the future and these terrible things do happen. Many hugs to you. :bighug

I think you're doing absolutely the right thing for Brandy. Yes, they do indeed mourn, some more than others, and if Brandy is howling and depressed, she is mourning very much indeed. I hope she will find someone she can love - and you too.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest longdoglady

I am so very sorry for your sudden loss :f_pink

I put off adopting a new dog for two months after my sudden loss and the only regret I have is that I waited so long, I can't wait to see who Brandy chooses.

God speed Twiggy.

XXX

Update:

Brandy visited the Greyhound Rescue and Adoption Kennel today and met a sweet grey girl named Morgan and we brought her home with us. Brandy's mood change was amazing once she was around the greys at the kennel and then the rest of the day working with Morgan to get her adjusted and comfy here--Brandy has had more pep. Tonight when we took Morgan out to potty Brandy let out a HAPPY HOWL! Instead of the mournful howls she has been making since losing Twiggy.

What is interesting too and I did not know this until I sat down and read Morgan's papers, but Morgan is from the same Racing Kennel that Twiggy came from, the same owner (and I was told when I got Twiggy she came from a good kennel and was told the same with Morgan today--Brandy came from a bad kennel.) she also was born the same year as Twiggy but is 2 months younger then Twiggy--so I find it comforting to think that Twiggy's and Morgan's paths may have crossed at one time.

Thanks for reading. :gh_run:angelwings:gh_run

I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious Twiggy, but happy that Morgan has made such a difference to Brandy, and that you are making such a difference in Morgan's life. :grouphug for the whole bunch of you!

I'm so happy Brandy has a new friend. :) I hope you'll stay with us so we can learn more about all your girls.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest greyarea

I'm so sorry about Twiggy. Lucy (our 8 year old brindle female) was prescribed Proin today. The vet discussed potential side effects (none as dramatic as this or others described herein) and prescribed a "low" dose of 25 mg, one or two pills, once or twice per day. So that could be as low as 25 mg/day to as high as 100 mg/day.

This thread obviously has me concerned, and I'm wondering what doseage others are/were using.

Thank you for your help.

Guest Energy11

My former vet/employer insists Proin is safe. I have always trusted him, and still do, BUT ... after reading this thread, I would think twice, or more, before giving it to any of mine.

My former vet did say, like humans, every dog reacts differently to medications, and it also would depend on the starting dose.

If you have questions or concerns about Proin and you would like to read, first hand testimonials from other pet owners who have lost their pets from this poisonous drug please go to this site:

http://www.i-love-dogs.com/forums/dog-heal...rint.html?pp=40

I don't think you will be giving your beloved grey this drug after reading what is there.

Note: Many owners in the testimonials say that their vet knew of or knows of no side effects from this drug which is alarming. I am printing the site aboves messges off and taking them to the vets who prescribed Proin to Twiggy and to the new vet who is so interested and concerned about what happened to Twiggy from taking it. Then I am writing letters to the FDA and Pegasus Labs that makes this poison. I will not let Twiggy's death be in vain--maybe she will save another pet. At this point I and my family are angry and ready to make some noise.

On a happier note, our new grey girl, Morgan has done beautifully adjusting to her new home. Brandy has a bit more zip in her step but she is still searching for Twiggy. Thanks for reading. :gh_run :gh_run

I am so sorry for your loss. It is always so sad to lose one of our fur kids and even more tragic when they are so young. :candle:grouphug

I guess I cannot understand why Proin was prescribed along with an antibiotic for a suspected UTI. The antibiotic of course but why the Proin. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Proin can be helpful for a dog with spay incontinence. Our Maggie was on a very small dosage of Proin for several years without problem. After the things I have learned about Proin over the last few years I would have to really pursue other options.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Energy11
If you have questions or concerns about Proin and you would like to read, first hand testimonials from other pet owners who have lost their pets from this poisonous drug please go to this site:

http://www.i-love-dogs.com/forums/dog-heal...rint.html?pp=40

I don't think you will be giving your beloved grey this drug after reading what is there.

Note: Many owners in the testimonials say that their vet knew of or knows of no side effects from this drug which is alarming. I am printing the site aboves messges off and taking them to the vets who prescribed Proin to Twiggy and to the new vet who is so interested and concerned about what happened to Twiggy from taking it. Then I am writing letters to the FDA and Pegasus Labs that makes this poison. I will not let Twiggy's death be in vain--maybe she will save another pet. At this point I and my family are angry and ready to make some noise.

On a happier note, our new grey girl, Morgan has done beautifully adjusting to her new home. Brandy has a bit more zip in her step but she is still searching for Twiggy. Thanks for reading. :gh_run :gh_run

Thank you for posting this! I did pass it onto my former, and current vets. Again, sooo sorry for your loss! Glad you new girl is doing well. love, Dee and The Five

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your girl!!!!! :cry1 :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

I'm am glad to hear that Brandy has found a new friend, I hope it eases, even just a little bit, both of your loss!!!!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so, so sorry for your loss of Twiggy. Please don't beat yourself up about this. We tend to trust our doctors, and dogs as well as humans react very differently to drugs.

I had known that there could be side effects with Proin (years ago). But Winnie was on it for years for spay incontinence, with no problems. But you are right to make people aware of the risks.

The suddenness of her loss has undoubtedly filled you with anger and pain, and that is understandable. It adds another level to your grief that you have to work through. I hope the sadness that you and Brandy are feeling will be eased by looking into Morgan's eyes.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious girl.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown