Help! Any Info On The Drug Proin Reaction Needed

Guest Twiggy

Oh no. My heart goes out to you.

Godspeed, sweet girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pappiea

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You have my deepest sympathy and prayers for this difficult time. My 3 year old blue recently had a reaction to this medication. She vomited within 2 hours of receiving her first dose. When I saw this topic this morning I read each post hoping there would be a better outcome.

Again, I'm so sorry.

Thank you all for your words of support, it is greatly appreciated.

This may sound silly but do greyhounds mourn for the loss of their companion grey? We had two greygirls, Twiggy and Brandy and I fear that Brandy will be lost without her pal, Twiggy. I guess a lot of TLC is all one can do--I am just sick about this unnecessary loss.

Thanks for listening.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Please be gentle with yourself & many :grouphug for you & Brandy.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'm so sorry for your loss. Greyhounds do mourn the loss, some take it harder than others. A lot of TLC should help your other baby.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest lizmego

I have known of two greyhounds on Prion, one died and one recovered. From what I can remember from the incidents, the Proin caused the dogs to stop breathing - not sure if it was cardiac arrest, stroke, seizure. The family whose greyhound was saved was home at the time when the greyhound stopped breathing and they were able to rush the dog to the vet. The other greyhound was not as fortunate as the family was not home when he stopped breathing.

I know that there are a lot of people that have experienced good results with Proin, but I would personally never use it on my dogs. I would research every possible alternative before even consider using it on my dogs.

I just rad the entire thread, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.

Liz

Edited by lizmego

Guest Energy11

You had no way of knowing how the Proin would effect your baby. Please do not feel quilty. You were trying to help her, and so was the vet.

I do know, a lot of greys do well on it, as well as other breeds, but after reading all of this, I would opt never to use it, myself. I spent 4 years as a vet assistant, and never really saw any bad reactions like this, but, after reading some of the info online, I would stay away from it.

We are sooo very sorry for your loss! Very very sorry! Yes, greys do grieve. Love and hugs from here to you. Dee and The Five :f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:gh_run2

Guest lovemyhounds

I am very sorry for the loss of your precious Twiggy. I kept checking back and hoping for different outcome. Sending hugs to you and Brandy.

Oh no....I'm so sorry. I understand the guilt but, please remember you did want you thought was best for her--you took her to the Dr's and did what they prescribed---you are a good, responsible owner and she was lucky to have you and I'm sure she knows that. Hugs to your family.

:( I am so sorry. My heart breaks for you. My prayers are with you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Update:

My vet who cared for Twiggy at the end phoned me today and told me he beleived that Proin did kill Twiggy and that he was going to be doing research and contact the university and other colleagues and find out if truly Proin has adverse effects on the greyhound breed due to their difference in metabolism. He said that Veterinarians need to be made aware of the possibility of a grey reacting adversly to Proin. The dr. said that Twiggy's blood pressure sky rocketed --also he said that it wasn't that her blood would not clot for him but that the blood vessels were rupturing and was unable to get blood tests each time he tried and he beleives that she was starting to stroke when I got her to him.

On another note, Brandy, Twiggy's grey sister is very depressed and howling and looking for Twiggy. I told the dr. of this and also that we would be adopting a grey in the future but have decided after talking to the dr. that adopting immediately is the thing to do for Brandy's health. So, Brandy is going with me to the Greyhound Adoption and Rescue Kennel tomorrow to visit and pick out her new grey companion--I think it will do Brandy good just to see some other greyhounds.

Thanks for reading.

Your vet sounds like a very caring and thorough person.

Hugs to you and Brandy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Your vet sounds like he truly cares. I'm glad to see you're getting another greyhound for Brandy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Glad you are getting another Grey for Brandy, and, believe it or, not, this will help you as well. THE DAY after Energy died, I went to adopt My Curfew. BEST move I ever made!

I passed the Proin info onto my former vet, and current. They need to know about this drug, and how it effects greyhounds!

Lots of love and hugs coming your way!