Help! Any Info On The Drug Proin Reaction Needed

Guest Twiggy

Does anyone have any info on the drug Proin and using it with greys? My grey was given Proin yesterday and she has had 2 doses and is now not expected to live thru the nite. The new vet I took her to today when she began to "crash" said that she has a auto immune blood disorder and he hasn't been able to get her blood to clot when testing her blood to run tests to discover what is wrong.

We are suspicious that Proin has caused this illness. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. The vet said he was not sure but thinks it is very possible Proin has caused this reaction-he said he has to do research himself to find out.

Thanks. :gh_lay

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know about the drug is what it is prescribed for, but I do know a side effect can be rapid heartbeat and elevated blood pressure. You did not mention how old your girl was or if she was on any other meds.

Guest Energy11

Here is a link of all how Proin works, and it's side effects. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.p...p;A=614&S=0

I surely hope your baby pulls through. I had no idea this drug had all of these precautions and side effects. I know many who use it for their dogs without any problems, but like people, no two dogs are a like, and can respond to medications differently than others do.

Love, hugs and prayers for you and your puppers!

there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence of problems documented here. Bailey was put on it but she hated the taste and went off her food when she was on it. We've switched to DES and she seems to be doing better.

Good luck

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Hope your baby pulls through. How sad.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest JillinMichigan

My former foster dog Moonlight was on it for almost 2 months while she lived with us. The first day we gave her one whole pill twice which made her "out of it". After consulting the vet about this, we then reduced the dose to 1/2 pill twice a day which did the trick to stop her incontinence and have her be herself. She has also been on it the year or more she has been with her forever family with no problems. She is energetic for a 10-year-old grey and goes on 2 mile walks every day I'm told. I hope your dog is going to be OK - I'm so sorry you have to go through this. :grouphug :grouphug

Edited by JillinMichigan

Guest vahoundlover

We lost Dolly 3 yrs ago to a toxic reaction to Proin. She wasn't quite 6 yrs old. The EVet did everything they could to try to save her including blood transfusions. Her potassium was off the charts, she started seizing, her retina's detached. They were on the phone with poison control several times...etc....I"m sorry, thnking back to that night still brings up the panic, grief, shock and hysteria that I felt . :cry1

I am so sorry this is happening to your girlie. I will keep her in my prayers. :grouphug

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Suze went into Acute Renal Failure after 3 doses of Proin. Initial bloodwork showed she had NO platelets and was treated a if the kidney failure was caused by a massive infection or Lepto; 2 antibiotics, IV fluids, Cerenia and a pain killer. It took 4 days before the Internist used the word "when" instead of "if" during one of our twice daily consults. Every test in the book was run twice - once in-house and once by an outside lab an all were negative. Will never know if Proin was in the equation, but the important thing is that we got lucky. Suze is alive and well and completely recovered.

I am praying non-stop for you and your girl. Please update when you can.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Oh gosh... I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful girl.

Renie was prescribed it, and I went as far as buying it and taking it home before chickening out. I was convinced it was a urinary infection in her case anyway (and so it proved, eventually), but I had heard of greyhounds having a stroke while on it and I just couldn't bring myself to give it to her. :(

However, after we lost her to cancer, I donated the unused bottle to a rescue that takes in a lot of elderly greys (Tailends - they take in no-hopers and seniors) and they have several hounds on it with no ill effects. I'm guessing it's like Rimadyl; some can tolerate it, some can't. And for those that can, maybe a greyhound needs a very low dose compared to other breeds.

I am sending hugs, and many prayers that your poor girl pulls through. :hope :hope :hope

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greybookends

Just like people different animals react differently to the same drug, some adversely. Sheana has been on Proin for about 3 years and has never had a reaction to it. I hope your girl pulls through. :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

All I know about the drug is what it is prescribed for, but I do know a side effect can be rapid heartbeat and elevated blood pressure. You did not mention how old your girl was or if she was on any other meds.

Our grey was 5 years old. Vet prescribed Proin and Cephalaxin on Thursday P.M. for what he thought was a bladder infection. She had two doses of both meds but the second dose she crashed quite rapidly. The new vet said that the Cephalaxin would not have adverse side effects on a grey. The Proin he wasn't sure of. She deteriorated so fast after yesterday mornings dose--she passed away last night.

:gh_run

Our greyhound, Twiggy passed away last nite --I know that it was the Proin and feel terrible guilt for giving it to her. She was so "normal and happy" on Thursday-this is a nightmare. Thanks for your comments.