Bad, Bad News

Guest mhall

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest trevdog

That really sucks.....I'm so sorry to hear he has this awful disease. Hoping you have much more quality time together.

Send lots of prayers to you both....

Guest paulamariez

Sending Tarmac loads of healing prayers, love and light. May he have lots of quality time left to spend with his beloved family. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Tarmac a bunch of doggie kisses as well.

I'm so sorry. I hope Tarmac has a lot of happy days left.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

No matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough. I am sorry to read your sad news. Make the most of every day you have and create good memories.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry that Tarmac has cancer and especially that it appeared that it was a different issue.

If you have decided not to do amputation, then the cancer can get very, very painful for a dog and I didn't see any note about having painkillers. Also, there is a chance that if this is osteo, that the leg can break. Maybe you have already discussed this with the vet and if so, please accept my heartfelt apology for bringing this up.

We've gone through the same experience three times. We've learned through each dog we lost that each day is most precious. Take each moment and make it special for Tarmac and it will be special for you as well. In the end, although it will hurt, you will be better for it. Tarmac will let you know when it's time. In the meantime, make every moment count. Hugs.

I'm so sorry. I too had a diagnosis of a possible soft tissue injury/partial CCL tear. We didn't do x-rays 4 weeks ago, and in just 4 weeks, Bull's bone is almost hollow. His is in the right rear leg in the lower femur.

I hope you get many more days to enjoy Tarmac. When I got home tonight it has become obvious to me that Bull is in pain. So quickly -- just a day or two ago he was still trying to chase squirrels. Now he's struggling to get comfortable lying down. I will up his tramadol dose and I have set our final appointment for 4:30 EST Friday. Please know that you are in my thoughts.

It's never easy. Bull's 9th Birthday would be Saturday. I got him when he was 4, almost 5, so just over 4 years together. Still not enough.

I'm grateful to have had the four years, though. The more you love, the bigger your heart gets, even if you lose a few pieces along the way.

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

Guest lynne893

I am SO sorry for your bad news. My heart aches for you. Our Timber was just diagnosed with cancer two weeks ago, and we're doing the same, just keeping her comfortable for these last few weeks.

The only thing I would say is, have you considered a third opinion? I know you probably have been through he ll and back, but since you had one incorrect diagnosis the first time, is it possible that this is a really hard case to solve, and perhaps you might want another esteemed vet in the area to take a look at the films, just to confirm that this is what you're dealing with?

I hope my suggestion doesn't pain you.

I wish you and your Tarmac love and joy in all the time you have left together. You have our shoulders to cry on.

Hugs. BIG hugs.

Thank you all so much for thinking of us. We had kind of a rough night last night, but Tarm seems to be doing pretty well this morning. He was really excited about going on his morning walk, and his appetite has come back. He stole some of my bacon at breakfast.

:grouphug I am sure his 3 years with you were better than he could have ever imagined any where else

Thank you - this is a small comfort. He was in a kennel with his adoption group for a year after he retired - we got him a few days before he turned 6. I'm glad he was able to enjoy a few years of life in a home. We were a good home for him, I think. I know losing a pet is never easy, but he's my first dog and I'm really struggling with this.

If you have decided not to do amputation, then the cancer can get very, very painful for a dog and I didn't see any note about having painkillers. Also, there is a chance that if this is osteo, that the leg can break. Maybe you have already discussed this with the vet and if so, please accept my heartfelt apology for bringing this up.

I appreciate your concern. He's been on tramadol since he started limping, and we upped his dosage when we discovered it

was cancer. We are aware of the possibility of a break, and I talked with the vet about what we could do to minimize the likelyhood that would happen. I know not everyone will agree with our decision not to treat. With another dog I might do things differently. For Tarmac this seems like the right choice. When the pain prevents him from doing the things he loves, we will know it's time to let him go.

I am SO sorry for your bad news. My heart aches for you. Our Timber was just diagnosed with cancer two weeks ago, and we're doing the same, just keeping her comfortable for these last few weeks.

The only thing I would say is, have you considered a third opinion? I know you probably have been through he ll and back, but since you had one incorrect diagnosis the first time, is it possible that this is a really hard case to solve, and perhaps you might want another esteemed vet in the area to take a look at the films, just to confirm that this is what you're dealing with?

I hope my suggestion doesn't pain you.

I wish you and your Tarmac love and joy in all the time you have left together. You have our shoulders to cry on.

Hugs. BIG hugs.