Bad, Bad News

Guest mhall

I took Tarmac to see a surgeon for what I thought would be a discussion about doing surgery for a torn ccl. It ended up being a disussion about cancer. Tarmac has a tumor in his left femur. I don't know how it was missed initially- it's pretty obvious on the x-ray. (The x-rays and initial consult were done at an e-vet. Tarms regular vet and the surgeon didn't get the x-rays until today. Tarms vet had been told the x-rays were clean, which is why we were opperating under the assumption that it was a partial ccl tear).

After a lengthy talk with the surgeon and thinking about my feelings about chemotherapy/amputation, we've decided to forgo both and just let Tarmac hang out for as long as he is comfortable. The surgeon advised against a biopsy since we don't want to proceed with treatment. He assumes that this is osteo, but said even if it is something else amputation would buy us time but would not be a cure.

We go back in a few weeks for more x-rays. I can't believe my guy has cancer and that we may only have a few months with him. When I was thinking about how ccl surgery might go, I kept thinking "well, at least he doesn't have cancer." Tarmac has mellowed and become much more affectionate over the past years. I was looking forward to spending his senior years with him. Three years together was not enough time. I'm not ready to let him go.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. This news is indeed our worst nightmare. And this is the hardest time---so many emotions to deal with, while you try to be strong for your precious boy. And you just don't know how long you will have right now---but when it is time, you will know.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Energy11

Sooo sorry to hear this! It is never easy to find this out. I worry everyday about one of mine getting it. Our Max died of it, and we had him only one year. He was adopted as a senior, ... old man who had him was trying to give him away at a flea market.

We loved that year, and so did he!

I know three years isn't much, but, I am sure so far, they've been wonderful for both of you, and we hope you have many more months with this baby!

:wub::grouphug

Guest TBSFlame
I took Tarmac to see a surgeon for what I thought would be a discussion about doing surgery for a torn ccl. It ended up being a disussion about cancer. Tarmac has a tumor in his left femur. I don't know how it was missed initially- it's pretty obvious on the x-ray. (The x-rays and initial consult were done at an e-vet. Tarms regular vet and the surgeon didn't get the x-rays until today. Tarms vet had been told the x-rays were clean, which is why we were opperating under the assumption that it was a partial ccl tear).

After a lengthy talk with the surgeon and thinking about my feelings about chemotherapy/amputation, we've decided to forgo both and just let Tarmac hang out for as long as he is comfortable. The surgeon advised against a biopsy since we don't want to proceed with treatment. He assumes that this is osteo, but said even if it is something else amputation would buy us time but would not be a cure.

We go back in a few weeks for more x-rays. I can't believe my guy has cancer and that we may only have a few months with him. When I was thinking about how ccl surgery might go, I kept thinking "well, at least he doesn't have cancer." Tarmac has mellowed and become much more affectionate over the past years. I was looking forward to spending his senior years with him. Three years together was not enough time. I'm not ready to let him go.

We never have enough time with them. My thoughts are with you.

Guest MyNellyBean

How terrible for you. I am so sorry. I can only imagine how you're feeling. My grey has had two flare-ups of a shoulder injury and limping, and the vet keeps mentioning that she'd like to do xrays to see if it's osteosarcoma. Like you, I would forego amputation, chemo, radiation, etc. and just focus on pain management and making sure my pooch was comfortable for as long as possible. (I can't even bring myself to do the xrays, so you're already braver than I am.)

Enjoy every moment with Tarmac, give him lots of hugs and affection, his favorite treats, and make sure he is one very happy boy when he passes. I think you are doing the right thing. Just remember that dogs can sense when you're upset, so keep your chin up and try hard to enjoy these few months. You still have some fun times ahead and some good memories to make with him. He will love you for your good attitude and outpourings of love! Nell and I will be praying that Tarmac is comfortable and happy until the end.

I'm so sorry. Sending hugs to you and Tarmac.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

:cry1 :cry1 :grouphugsadhugsmiley.gif

I'm so sorry. Make every moment count. :grouphug I hope you have many more days together before you need to let him go :(

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.