Cosmo - Keepin' On Keepin' On.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update Tuesday (Monday night late), August 18.

Cosmo's been very quiet today. She ate her food but I had to bring it to her. She's been resting comfortably but she's been very quiet, I don't know how else to describe it. I was just petting her now and I noticed her legs look fluid filled. She's lying on her left rear and I didn't want to bother her, but her left front and right rear look somewhat swollen with fluid and felt fluid-y to the touch. Any ideas about this? Any at all?????

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

ETA: I apologize for the brain fart and confusing Cosmo with another pup also facing challenges. ... too many sick doggies right now and this fried brain is having trouble keeping them straight.

Hoping your sweetie is feeling better very soon! :bighug

Edited by houndznigz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Fluid in her legs is likely secondary to her congestive heart failure (the fluid in her lungs). If she's been lying mostly on her L side, gravity will pull fluid down toward her L side - her legs and even along her chest wall. If you'd started to taper down on the Lasix, you may have to bring it back up again. Depending on the results of the echocardiogram, she may also need to be on something to improve her ventricular function -- that is, cause her heart to pump more strongly. Also, adding on a med like enalapril or benazapril is pretty standard (in both dogs and humans) in cases of congestive heart failure. Lethargy, lack of appetite - this is all very common. If she is eating, be sure she's on a low-sodium diet, as sodium will cause her to retain more fluid.

This definitely warrants a call or visit to the vet in the morning. The echocardiogram will answer a lot of questions.

Hoping your sweetie is feeling better very soon! :bighug

Cosmo hasn't been diagnosed with congestive heart failure and isn't on lasix. I think maybe you're thinking of another dog?

Cosmo was diagnosed with osteo in June and had her leg amputated June 23. Had her first chemo on August 6. She's been doing great until a fall down our stairs last Thursday and then she started coughing Saturday. We have a vet appointment tomorrow but just for a chest xray at this point.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest VirginiaGreys

Tracey....I'm headed to work, but am praying for you and your Cosmo all the time. I hope you get some answers from the vet and hopefully some that will help Cosmo get through this and back to being well again! :hope:grouphug

Is there a possibility that Cosmo has developed fluid in her lungs? It sounds like it might be something like that, especially if she's been inactive and not moving much. Poor thing, I've got you both in my prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

She is thinking of Asia.

Did your vet see her yet? or will he be seeing her on Thursday for the 1st time since the fall?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Will she see the vet today? She should if at all possible.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'll answer for Tracey...Cosmo has a vet appt at 2:30pm today for a chest x-ray.

Tracey, thinking of you and Cosmo today. Hopefully, this is nothing more that a bruise to the chest from her fall.

Hugs

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11