Hobbes Has A Dental Tomorrow

I hope the bleeding stops soon! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck I'm sorry he's not coming home tonight. :(

I'll be keeping you and Hobbes in my thoughts tonight.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good clotty-type, thoughts being sent! Max always bleeds a lot from his dentals, too (and will like lose the rest of his teeth at his next dental the end of August - he'll ask Hobbes for gumming tips!)

Hope to hear the good "he's home!" news soon...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

The bleeding is under control now, thank god. They are going to keep him sedated for most of the evening so he doesn't move around to much, but it looks like he is out of the woods now. The clinic is staffed 24 hrs a day so they will keep a close eye on him tonight and hopefully tomorrow afternoon he can come home.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Glad to hear Hobbes is out of the woods. Bailey only has 4 canines, 1 tooth at the back, and a couple of incisors. She does just fine. The gums toughen up real quick. I always make sure all food is cut in small chunks though because she doesn't chew much and I don't want to her to choke.

Sending lots of healing thoughts to Hobbes.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm glad he's OK. I'm looking forward to hearing that he's home.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What a relief for you to know the bleeding is under control. It sounds like he will be fine and tomorrow he will back home with you again.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Hobbes needs all the prayers he can get right now. He started to bleed again last night which they eventually did get back under control but his jaw is swollen to the size of a grapefruit because of it. Now a more serious problem has developed that the vets are stumped over. It seems that air bubbles have formed under his skin causing it to actually crackle when you touch it. Right now it is effecting his front leg and about half his left side. It could be an infection but right now it's to early to tell. He is being seen as I type this with an internal medicine doctor to hopefully figure this out. To top this all off he won't eat a thing which also has the vet worried, I'm making him chicken soup which he loves and I'm going to bring it back to him tonight. Hopefully I can get some food in him.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Hobbes needs all the prayers he can get right now. He started to bleed again last night which they eventually did get back under control but his jaw is swollen to the size of a grapefruit because of it. Now a more serious problem has developed that the vets are stumped over. It seems that air bubbles have formed under his skin causing it to actually crackle when you touch it. Right now it is effecting his front leg and about half his left side. It could be an infection but right now it's to early to tell. He is being seen as I type this with an internal medicine doctor to hopefully figure this out. To top this all off he won't eat a thing which also has the vet worried, I'm making him chicken soup which he loves and I'm going to bring it back to him tonight. Hopefully I can get some food in him.

Oh my gosh! I have Hobbes in my prayers! I sure hope they get this resolved quickly! I'm sure he doesn't want to eat anything because he mouths hurts like heck!

Oh no! Poor Hobbes. That boy can't seem to catch a break. I hope the docs get it figured out soon. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Energy11

The "crackles" under his skin are subcutaneous air, coming from somewhere. We call it Crepitus:

Crepitus is a symptom characterized by a crackling or grating feeling or sound under the skin, around the lungs or in the joints. In soft tissues, crepitus is often due to gas, most often air, that has abnormally penetrated and infiltrated an area (for example, in the soft tissues beneath the skin).

I wonder how this happened from a dental/extractions? I hope the Internal Medicine Doc gets it figured out soon!

Lots of love an prayers for Hobbes from here.

Poor Hobbes - I hope this is resolved soon and he can start to heal. All my prayers and good thoughts are going to you.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Just reading through this thread. Praying very hard for Hobbes and hoping that the doctors can figure out what is

going on and get if fixed. Poor baby. Hugs to you.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

I don't have much new info but we just spent a couple of hours with him at the vets and I think his spirits are a bit higher then when we were there earlier in the day. The swelling in his jaw has come down a substantial amount and he is looking more like himself already. They have to keep him very quiet and still because unfortunately his mouth keeps bleeding when he moves around to much but it doesn't seem to me to be an excessive amount.

The air under his skin hasn't spread nor has it gone away yet either. It is extremely painful to the touch and he cries out when someone does have to touch his leg. The two vets he saw about this issue can't seem to figure out why it has happened or what is causing it. Unless there is a change tonight in his condition they are going with the wait and see approach and will reevaluate it in the morning.

The "crackles" under his skin are subcutaneous air, coming from somewhere. We call it Crepitus:

Crepitus is a symptom characterized by a crackling or grating feeling or sound under the skin, around the lungs or in the joints. In soft tissues, crepitus is often due to gas, most often air, that has abnormally penetrated and infiltrated an area (for example, in the soft tissues beneath the skin).

I wonder how this happened from a dental/extractions? I hope the Internal Medicine Doc gets it figured out soon!

Lots of love an prayers for Hobbes from here.

Thanks for the explanation. Just out of curiosity do you know some reasons why this does occur?

Any updates? Did he eat any of the soup you fixed for him?

No, he wouldn't eat even a bite. He did seem interested in eating though a perked up when he was offered it but he just wouldn't actually eat. I left it at the clinic so maybe later he will try some. :goodluck

Guest paulamariez

Sending healing prayers, love and light for your precious Hobbes. I 'm sorry he's having such a tough time. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Hobbes some healing doggie kisses too.

Hobbes is home and well on his way to recovery!!!!

The bleeding in his mouth has completely stopped now and the swelling is down to almost normal so he was allowed to come home. He still has air under his skin which hasn't change since they first discovered it, but since it doesn't seem to be spreading were just going to keep an eye on it. The vet sent away cultures of the effected area and hopefully they will come back in a day or two. The hope is that his body will just reabsorb the air as he moves around more and he wont have any more issues with it.

He still hasn't eaten anything but I think the clinic environment was stressing him out a lot. Once he is settled here for a bit I think he will be more likely to eat.

Thanks again for all the well wishes

Edited by greytluck