Guest KennelMom

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jodiesmom
Heather,

Would you let me know which vet you use...We live in Fountain Inn, and I currently use Cleveland Park in Simpsonville. I would like to have another just in case, and yours obviously has greyhound experience.

We use Poinsett Animal Hospital in Greenville. They are wonderful and they do have quite a few greyhound patients...even after you consider our crew. ;) Plus they do a bit of spay/neuter work for Greyhound Crossroads.

Thank you very mucy! I will keep them in mind.

That is great news. :yay :yay :yay

My MIL found out her dog (not a grey) has diabetes about 2 months ago. She has to give him 2 shots a day.

When she goes near him to check his urine, he stops in mid stream. :lol

Edited by nyGreys

:yay :yay :yay

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Hi Heather & Ken!

I've been following all the goings-on at your house--this is something I DO know about! My cairn terrier, Roxanne, lived for 2.5 years after her diabetes diagnosis, right up to a month before her 14th birthday. We did twice-a-day insulin shots, and regular glucose-curve tests (all day at the vet, as others have said here) to keep her levels right...I never did any home-testing of urine or blood after the initial month of "zeroing in" on her dosage. I kept Karo on hand at the house, but never had to use it. We kept her on a careful diet, but that was easy, since she was our only dog during that time.

It was AMAZING how she bounced back from her lethargy, excessive drinking and in-house accidents once the insulin was on board...and it only took about a day and a half.

I agree with others here, too, about online resources--LOTS of them, and very helpful. This is SO manageable, even giving the shots. I kind of freaked at first, since I HATE getting shots myself, but it only took me a few days to get the hang of it (granted, having a doctor in the house to help me with technique was VERY helpful).

Given the situation, this is a relatively GREYT outcome--very hopeful!

Lisa

ETA: :blushHere's my girl in a Remembrance post about my angels at The Bridge.

Edited by LisaB

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Guest KennelMom

Well, the vet walked me through giving a shot at the office today with just saline. She's starting off on .8 and her levels didn't drop while she was at the vets office today, so they aren't worried about her dipping to low before she goes back for a recheck on Thursday.

I'm so nervous that I'll do it wrong and she won't get better :unsure Ken gave it to her tonight and I'll do it in the morning.

The vet asked if Quilty barked a lot at home b/c she was telling everyone off all day long :lol I said, yep....she barks and you have to figure out what she wants...to go out? attention? snack? :wub:

eta: Special thanks to a pup named Dufus who's owner's donated his bottle of insulin when they had to say goodbye to him recently. The vet asked if Quilty would accept the donation, as that would give me a few days to get to the pharmacy. :candle

Edited by KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

I gave her my first shot this morning and she yelped a little :( I think maybe I went a little too deep. I called the vet and they assured me it would be fine and that giving the shots just takes a little practice. :unsure

She had her first breakfast with the pack this morning because she didn't want to get up for first turn out (I've been feeding her when I go down to take care of momma and the pups. Then Q comes back to the house and I take everyone else down to eat)...this is GREAT news. It means she could hold her pee through the night again and she wasn't rushed to get out first thing to pee. When I called her to go out for breakfast, she got up and trotted to the door. I think she's feeling better and the food seems to be agreeing with her. After talking with our vet, our goal is for her to gain 2lbs per week.

Edited by KennelMom

As with anything.....you will get the hang of it soon and probably wonder why you thought it was a big deal!! I am sure Quilty will be so happy to feel better!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Oy- she looks like Beau did before we got his IBD under control and now Beau looks like a sausage becasue the pred wastes muscle and his weight is redistributed. Anyway- greyt news. Hopefully with the diagnosis and treatment she will be feeling better soon. 2 pounds may be a bit much-(?) in the beginning not losing weight is a small victory- anything above that is wonderful.

She is is greyt hands and I look forward to her progress.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

That sweet girl deserves a whole boat load of good fortune and good news and I hope it continues to come her way (and yours).

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest PhillyPups

:yay:yay Such progress for your sweet girl in a short period of time :yay:yay

The GoldenGreys are so very special, they learn so quickly, especially from being on the lam, to live harmoniously with a pack :wub:

2 lbs a week is awesome, and if anyone can do it, with the progress you are making already and knowing her diagnosis, you two can!!

It sure sounds like an absolutely amazing girl you have there!!

Guest KennelMom

I have to wonder...how did people ever have pets before the internet? :lol

Dorasmom pm'd me to say her yelp might have been from cold insulin and/or pushing the plunger down too quickly...both of which apply this morning. So, lesson learned. Inject slowly and make sure it's not reallly cold from the fridge. Also, thanks to heartdogs for the pms and advice :bow2 :bow2

I've passed everyone's good thoughts, prayers and hugs on to Quilty. She thanks you!

Guest Energy11
I gave her my first shot this morning and she yelped a little :( I think maybe I went a little too deep. I called the vet and they assured me it would be fine and that giving the shots just takes a little practice. :unsure

She had her first breakfast with the pack this morning because she didn't want to get up for first turn out (I've been feeding her when I go down to take care of momma and the pups. Then Q comes back to the house and I take everyone else down to eat)...this is GREAT news. It means she could hold her pee through the night again and she wasn't rushed to get out first thing to pee. When I called her to go out for breakfast, she got up and trotted to the door. I think she's feeling better and the food seems to be agreeing with her. After talking with our vet, our goal is for her to gain 2lbs per week.

GREAYT news! Best way, and I am sure the vet told you, is to pinch up a little skin when you do the shots. Basically the needles are pretty short, so there isn't too much worry about going too deep. Let's face it, no one like getting a needle prick, but she will get used to it, and luckily, insulin needles are VERY small. Pretty soon, you will be an old pro a this! :-))

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I totally got a kick out of the vets office asking if she barks a lot :rofl:lol

You look at this girl and figure she's just going to lay around and not do anything and then BAMB crazy old dog goes off barking :lol

GOD LOVE Quilty!!

All great news and those shot, you'll be a pro in no time :)

Can't wait for the weigh in next week and see the progress :goodluck

I'm loving these updates! Keep up the good work, you'll be a pro in no time. I too got a kick out of Quilty's attitude, lord knows it's what's kept this old girl alive!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Another Quilty fan here! Thanks for the update!

:kiss2 to the sweet girl!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Great news for Quilty. You will get much better at giving shots. I never have, but I worked with a lady who would never in a millon years think of giving them. However, her cocker spaniel became a diabetic and she just said "head up, chin out, I WILL do this". She became quite the expert and you will too. Best of luck, I know your girl will be fine.

Glad to hear Quilty is improving! When I gave Delilah (cat) her insulin shot, she would jump up on the table and wait for me to stick her. Of course, the fact that she got a treat right after probably helped :lol Bribery is a wonderful thing!