Cuz Has Cancer.

Guest Cuznsalsmom

Guest Cuznsalsmom

I can't believe it. We got the results last night. I feel like I have let him down. The whole family cried for a long time and not much sleep was had. The vet says amputation is the only way with chemo to follow. He also thinks that it may have already spread. We can't put him through that, he is 10, I feel guilty for any solution. We have decided to keep him as comfortable as possible, he is on metacam for pain and it is working good. He has eaten very well so far today - or course lots of ham and treats. Please keep Cuz in your thoughts and prayers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boondog

You did not do anything wrong. Please don't beat yourself up for it. I recommend contacting Dr. Couto at OSU for advice. Cuz will be in my prayers.

Keeping your boy in my prayers.

As for letting him down, I think that's a natural response feeling we all have but we are not God and there are things we have no control of, like this nasty disease.

Try if you can, to focus on caring for him the best way you know how which you will do, and you will love him, and that my friend, is not letting him down

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh I'm so sorry to read this.

I remember your boys at the kennel, very sweet sweet darlings.

Don't beat yourself up about this. It's the nasty side of nature.

Love and spoil him like crazy, and give him good scritch. He's on my prayer list.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I am so sorry...hoping for many good days together.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

We've been there done that. Not a good situation all the way around, for sure. No need to beat yourself up, all you wanted was good for your pup and unfortunately our love alone can not sustain them.

our Polli was a very young 9.5. While coming up the steps , she tripped and fractured her left front leg. We amputated immediately because if the fracture. I'm not sure what we would have done had she not had the fracture. with the fracture it was amputated immediately or say good bye at that very moment. that wasn't an option.

so, we amputated-did chemo and had almost 5 months before we had to say goodbye,

best of luck with whaever decision you come to.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Keeping your boy in my prayers.

As for letting him down, I think that's a natural response feeling we all have but we are not God and there are things we have no control of, like this nasty disease.

Try if you can, to focus on caring for him the best way you know how which you will do, and you will love him, and that my friend, is not letting him down

I couldn't say it better.

You'll be in our thoughts and prayers. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

If you did something wrong, it means a lot of us did something wrong. But in reality, we know it doesn't work that way.

I'm very sorry to hear of Cuz's diagnosis and I wish him and his people lots more happy times :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I'm so sorry. :cry1 OS is such a monster, and no way to protect our babies from getting it (so far). :( Might want to join the Circle of Grey group for additional support and advice. Effective pain management is critical to ensure decent quality of life. Holding your sweet Cuz in my prayers. :hope

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I'm so sorry you've gotten this dreaded diagnosis. I was reading back over your posts, and saw that he'd just had a check-up in May, and had no visible problems other than the teeth. Believe me, there is no way you could have known. Cancer is so insidious, it lurks there, unseen, till when we finally do know, it is sometimes too late. Has the vet done chest X-rays? If there are lung mets, then, yes, it has already spread. I think you'll find that so many of us who have dealt with osteo didn't find out till there was a fracture, or a visible tumor that appeared and grew rapidly, or the dog stumbled, etc. So please don't beat yourself up. I know it's hard, but focus on Cuz right now. If you worry too much or feel unnecessary guilt, it just steals away what time you have left with your boy, and the monster has won again. Live in the moment with him, manage his pain, and follow your heart. You will know what to do, and he will let you know as well.

You are in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am so sorry to read this. Nothing is your fault or your doing. If we could control their health issues, all of our dogs would be strong and healthy, never suffer and stay with us forever. Unfortunately, that is not the way the world works. We will keep you and Cuz in our thoughts and prayers. Take each day one at a time and make the most of the time you have with him; and I hope it is a long, remarkable time.

I do hate cancer. Cancer sucks.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Energy11

you did not let him down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OSTEO is an UGLY disease!

I, personally, don't believe in amputation, but that is MY belief. One has to follow their feelings, ... there is NO right or wrong!

Max, 12.5 developed Osteo. I had THREE GOOD months with him, on Tramadol and Deramaxx ... then, I saw the distant looks in his eyes, and he was hopping on three legs ... I knew then, it was time.

We love you, and we are praying for you and your family! YOU DID NOTHING WRONG, and you did NOT fail you baby!

Love and hugs ... Dee and My Five :wub::grouphug:bighug:getwell

I'm so very sorry. You didn't let him down. You've taken the best care of him you can and you're making a decision on what's best for a member of your family. Enjoy every day you have left with him.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11
I'm so very sorry. You didn't let him down. You've taken the best care of him you can and you're making a decision on what's best for a member of your family. Enjoy every day you have left with him.

Yes, ENJOY the days you have left with him! They are "golden!" THAT is what we did with Max!

Guest dwolfe711

I am so sorry for the diagnosis for Cuz :ohno - osteo s--ks!! You have done nothing wrong for your sweet boy - it just seems to be a fact of life with some of these pups. We've had four with osteo - they were 12, 12.5, 11.5 and 12 - we opted in all cases to keep them comfortable with meds until we knew it was time. It is never easy - but you must do what you think is best for your boy! We knew that none of ours were candidates for amp because of their age and overall health - our time with them after diagnosis ranged from 5 weeks to 10.5 months - you just never know. Even after amp and chemo there are no guarantees. If we ever have to make that decision for a younger pup it will take a lot of soul-searching. Make the best of the time he has left with you - and when the time comes to let him go you will know you are giving him the greatest gift of love you can give him - dignity, peace and freedom from pain. Let us know how he is doing. :grouphug

Donna

I'm so very sorry :cry1 :cry1 :grouphugsadhugsmiley.gif

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest jurishound

I am so sorry. If it hasn't been mentioned, you may need to add tramadol at some point to help minimize pain. Hugs to you and your beloved Cuz. :grouphug