Kane Has Osteo

Guest Speedhoundz

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beth,

I'm so sorry. Our thoughts are with you. If you need anything, you know how to reach me.

Nichole, Kiaba, Tehya, Cian and our houseguests - Axel and Abbey

Edited by Nichole

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Oh no! :ohno I'm only just seeing this thread. :( I'm so, so sorry to hear about Kane's diagnosis. He is so young... :cry1

I haven't been through this, so I don't have any advice, I just wanted to send many, many good thoughts and hugs :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am so very sorry!!!! :grouphug Sending lots of Prayers..... :hope:hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Chasems

My boy, Chase, underwent amputation surgery of his left hind leg on 3/3/09 and is doing very well. He had just turned 11 years old when diagnosed, so I was quite worried. if you join the Circle of Greys Yahoo group and post a message, you will probably get at least a dozen replies from folks that have been through this - including a vet who is also a greyhound mom of 8! It's nice to have a grey-saavy medical opinion/advice if questions arise.

Chase has moderate arthritis as well, and due to that will probably not improve his mobility much more. Before this, he used to briskly trot along on walks of 1 mile or more twice a day. At this time, he is just greatly enjoying a walk around the block - loves doing all his sniffies. He decided that his new adapted gait is kind of like a gallop, so he gets these little energetic spurts when he wants to run a little - you should see the neighbors laughing at me, running to keep up with my 3-legged dog!

There is also a bonecancerdogs.org web site and Yahoo group with lots of info and a Tripawds.com site with more info.

Your oncologist should be able to tell you if Kane is a good candidate for surgery and give you some options. The only things I can think to add were the questions I was sorry I didn't think to ask before Chase's surgery - Is someone there at the vet's all night after the surgery?, and what pain medications will be prescribed after surgery and what if he is in pain when your office is closed? Many vet offices perform surgery, sedate the dogs and they are left alone in their 'ICU' area all night while the office is closed - I was not comfortable with that following a major surgery such as this. Also, Dr. Couto strongly recommends that greyhounds be given Aminocaproic Acid following surgery to help prevent bleeding - make sure your vet knows about this. Greyhounds are known for frequently having bleeding issues 24-48 hours after surgery. Dr. Couto's staff let me know about this and followed up to make sure Chase would be getting this - offered to speak with the surgeon, etc. Also, my vet did not know about Gabapentin as another pain relief choice - it works on nerve pain and helps some dogs that don't get relief from the usual Deramaxx, Tramadol and Fentanyl patch (or similar). Gabapentin is very inexpensive and readily available - frequently used for shingles on humans.

Hugs and positive thoughts to you and Kane during this difficult time.

Melinda

I am very sorry to hear about Kane, your decision will be the best one for you and Kane. Hug the boy for me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Believe me, I know what you're struggling with. Sending all sorts of positive thoughts to you and Kane.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest agroshong

Beth,

Thinking about all of you as I travel. I'm still happy to take those photos for you the minute I get home. In the meantime, I hope that Kane's responding well to the meds.

Guest Speedhoundz

I just wanted to give an update on Kane. After meeting with the oncologist and thinking long and hard about our options, DH and I have decided to manage Kane's pain with medications only until we can't keep him comfortable anymore. He has--or maybe I should say had--been doing fantastic on the meds; he still has a lot of pep and the same great personality, just a little limp that is less noticeable now that he's on the meds. But yesterday he had explosive diarrhea while we were at work and it has continued this morning. My regular vet said diarrhea, vomiting, and/or lack of appetite are the most common side effects of the meds he's on, but he could also have an upset tummy from all the treats he has been getting lately!

I'm waiting to hear back from the oncologist re: how to proceed with the meds in light of the diarrhea. Please think good thoughts for Kane and that this is just a bump in the road that can easily be controlled. I am going home at lunch to be with him; I hate being at work knowing I have a sick pup at home. (And spending 3 hours cleaning up the Big D last night was no picnic, either!)

I am so very sorry......... :grouphug:grouphug You all will be in our thoughts and prayers......... :hope:hope:hope:candle

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Winterwish

Thinking of you and Kane and sending good thoughts his way for his tummy feeling much better today. He's beautiful! :heart:hope:hope

In case you don't have it at home,maybe it'd be good to pick up some chicken and rice to boil up in case it'd be good to be on a bland diet for the next couple of days?

Guest Speedhoundz
In case you don't have it at home,maybe it'd be good to pick up some chicken and rice to boil up in case it'd be good to be on a bland diet for the next couple of days?

Oh definitely. I gave him a couple of metamucil wafers last night and a bit of rice, and this morning before I left I gave him more rice and some boiled chicken. I hope it stays down ok. Thanks for the good thoughts for Kane!

I have no advice, but just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about Kane and his peeps. I hope you have more quality time with that handsome puppers of yours! Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Bump in the road, that's all. :nod

I was going to apologize for contributing with the Burpdog biscuits, but then I remembered how stinky he was when I visited so I doubt it's my fault. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest TurnerMiller01

oh.. i am so sorry this is happening to you and your family and Kane...

many prayers your way... and it doesnt hurt to pray for miracles...

I'm saying prayers for a miracle for Kane. :hope:hope:hope:hope:hope:hope:hope

I'm sorry to hear that Kane had explosive diarrhea... hopefully as you say it's just a bump in the road and he will improve... I've been keeping your boy in my thoughts.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

If he's on a NSAID, it needs to be stopped. There are other meds like morphine and tramadol to manage the pain.

Yep. Some NSAIDS are not tolerated well at all. :( What meds do you have him on? Holding your sweet boy in my prayers. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sending lots of good thoughts for your handsome boy. Hope he's feeling better today.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Speedhoundz
Bump in the road, that's all. :nod

I was going to apologize for contributing with the Burpdog biscuits, but then I remembered how stinky he was when I visited so I doubt it's my fault. ;)

But it COULD be your fault, in which case I will be sending you a carpet-cleaning bill. ;)

If he's on a NSAID, it needs to be stopped. There are other meds like morphine and tramadol to manage the pain.

Yep. Some NSAIDS are not tolerated well at all. :( What meds do you have him on? Holding your sweet boy in my prayers. :hope

He's on gabapentin and piroxicam, plus tramadol as needed. I know the piroxicam could cause stomach ulcers, but the gabapentin doesn't touch his pain. When we added the piroxicam, I noticed a definite improvement in his demeanor and limping. The oncologist says these meds shouldn't be causing the diarrhea, but we'll see. Perhaps if I cut back on all the table scraps he will turn the corner!

Here's a little linky on piroxicam: cautions & concerns. There are other NSAIDS that he might do better with that you can try if you stop the piroxicam for a couple of days. My hounds have done well with metacam, but every dog is different.

My girl was on tramadol for pain, metacam for inflammation, gabapentin for nerve-type pain, pepcid for stomach acid reduction & sucralfate to coat & help heal the stomach. I was able to keep her eating & had no tummy trouble for her final months. She loved her eggs & Grammy's Pot Pie & peanut butter & biscuits..... :chow

Best wishes to you & Kane.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Hey Beth, just checking in. How is Kane doing? Have the stomach issues subsided?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so sorry. :grouphug You've gotten good advice from those who've travelled this road before.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown