Kane Has Osteo

Guest Speedhoundz

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Sooooo sorry to hear this! You MIGHT want to have Dr. Couto and company, look at the x-rays, just to be sure, especially with grey's young age.

RE: amputation ... I don't believe in it, but that does NOT mean it is wrong. IT is a personal decision. For me, IF I had cancer, I would opt for ONLY palliative care (pain management), and that is it. But, again, it is me.

A good friend's dog was diagnosed with Osteo at 7 yrs, and it WAS confirmed at University of Florida's vet school. They opted for just pain management. Goodyear left them a month later ...

No matter what you decide, I am sure it what YOU think is best for your baby, and that is really what matters!

Our prayers, love, and concern are here for you! Dee and My Five :wub::grouphug:bighug:getwell:candle:hope

I am so very sorry that you and Kane are going through this. I don't have anything better to say than what so many have already said.

I know that for me -- and I have to reiterate that, for me, I have no issue with amputation and no judgement about it -- my choice in the past was quality of life rather than quantity and I know that when I face that choice again (and I will as long as I have greys) I will make the same choice.

Whatever you decide, know that you will make the best decision that you can for Kane and that it will be based solely on your love for him.

I am so sorry.

We went through this with our 9.5 year old. She was dx with osteo, we did an amp/chemo immediately due to a fracture and we had her for one day short of 5 months.

She got the stairs down greyt, however, we carried her up MANY steps MANY times a day every day for almost 5 months. She never came up the stairs herself.

Many prayers coming your way.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am so sorry to hear this. My girl is 6 years old as well and every little bump or limp sends my heart into my throat. :( I really hope that the oncologist has some good, sound options and advice for you. I'm not sure I could (or would) do an amp with three flights of stairs unless most of the time could be spent on the first floor. Sounds like in your case you actually live on the third floor though and in Grace's case she would not do well with that. I hate that you have to make this decision, it's simply not fair. Hugs for you.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

No advice, just lots of hugs and lots of prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I know how you feel....I went through the same thing about six months ago with my Lewis (who was only 7 years old). I opted not to amputate and we had almost three good months. For sure, get the films to Dr. Cuoto...it always helps to have that second opinion. I hope it's a good one. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, thoughts, concerns..I'm not a pro, by any means, but I can share what I know.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I'm so sorry. :grouphug

We found out that Argos had osteo 6 days after our son was born. It was a heartbreaking decision, but we opted for pain management only. He died about 3 weeks later.

Happy to lend an ear if you want to talk or a shoulder if you want to cry. Or both.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest PhillyPups

No words of advice, I lost 2 to osteo, SugarBear was 14.5, at that age amp was not an option. TigerPower was almost 11 with fear aggression and his lungs were not clear, again no choices there.

You are in my prayers and thoughts at this most difficult time :bighug

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I've had 2 diagnosed with osteo. We chose amputation and chemo for both. Morgan lived 3 years and we lost him to LS at age of 13 1/2 (no signs of cancer). With Alex, we found lung mets after the 3rd chemo and had to euthanize him a few weeks later.

Morgan wasn't good on stairs when he had 4 legs. When we first got him, he fell off our granite steps and got cut. He never really got over a nervousness of steps. He would burst up and down them instead of walk them. After amputation, that got worse. He did go up and down by himself for the first year. Then I decided his going down was a barely controlled fall and I was afraid he would get injured. We started carrying him down then. About 6 months after that, he decided he didn't want to go up either, so we started carrying him up too. We have 1 set of carpeted stairs. Stairs without carpet would be harder. Some tripods are ok with stairs, some aren't. You can also use a harness and provide them support on stairs instead of carrying.

Talk to a Vet Oncologist to get the latest stats, but the median survival I was quotated:

- 2 months without amputation/chemo

- 5 months with amputation alone

- 12-14 months with amputation and chemo.

I am so sorry to hear this. We lost our 2 brindle boys to osteo, one we pain manage due to age and the youngest (5 yr) we opted for amputation. Clark only had one step to go down to go outside, but he surprised all of us by coming down the basesment stairs, but we needed to carry him up.

Its a hard decision to make and no decision is the wrong one, do what you feel in your heart is the best for you and your grey. Hugs and best wishes to you.

Linda

Guest HeatherDemps

I'm so sorry.....

There are no right or wrong choices, which seems to make it even more difficult.

We chose the amputation route and had the front leg amputated when Dempsey was 11.5. He manged great, but we lived in a ranch house. The most stairs he did were 3-4 or so at a local pet store. My parents live in a bi-level and over there he went up them great, but going down scared me too much after 1 or 2 times and we never took him back over there. I think there are slings you can get to help out with stairs.

Any updates? Were you able to talk to Dr. K and /or get records sent off to Dr. Couto? Hope Kane is feeling okay!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Speedhoundz
Any updates? Were you able to talk to Dr. K and /or get records sent off to Dr. Couto? Hope Kane is feeling okay!

I talked to Dr. K on Friday and she agreed with the diagnosis. I think he has pretty classic osteo. The oncologist we are going to on Monday has worked with Dr. Couto and I will find out more then, but I'm not sure what additional info he could provide. Dr. K provided rimadyl on top of the gabapentin, and I started him on artemisinin. I swear his bump looks bigger already--not a good sign. He is still putting some weight on the leg, but I'm not sure how much longer he will continue to do that. I am going to see if the oncologist thinks we should put him on tramadol as well. We are leaning toward pain management and possibly radiation.