Many Prayers Needed For Joey

Guest Mommydog

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mommydog

Well as I posted earlier the cells they tested for cancer have come back benign, so that's greyt news :colgate However, what they've found is classed a chronic condition and Joey may need to take meds for the rest of his life. Firstly the test for heliobacter came back as positive, so that's no doubt what's caused the ulcers. There's also been some fibrosis detected, and apparently there are some mucous glands in the stomach that have been overproducing for a long time, and as result they are now barely functioning. Katie thinks the problem has probably been lingering around for quite a long time. But as the only symptoms have been occasional bouts of Big D it's gone undetected, until he became quite ill with it. I didn't really get chance to discuss all the why's and wherefore's with Katie as she was between consults when I spoke to her, but reading between the lines. It would appear to me that his stomach has been trying to protect itself, hence the fibrosis and excess mucous production. We should be seeing Katie in about a week's time anyway, and I will be speaking to her again on Friday.

So the first thing will be to deal with the heliobacter, with a long course of antibiotics and his stomach meds. Katie has been keeping Helen up to speed with everything, so I've no doubt she will have told her about the biopsy results. Helen, besides being an acupuncturist is also a vet, so as she will be with us for about 45 mins tomorrow. I should have plenty of chance to discuss the implications of the fibrosis and mucous glands with her.

Whilst I aren't unduly worried about Joe's stomach, everything seems to be nicely settled at the moment. He has seemed very flat and depressed today, he had depression for about 3 months when Raffie died. Anyway I get off work for 2 weeks as of Wednesday morning, so I will be able to do more with him then and give him some stimulation, which will hopefully help with the depression. I think he's really missing his walks with Jack, we had a slightly longer walk tonight, down to the end of the block. But it was a bit of an effort getting back up the stairs for him, so I think he was rather worn out. He seems to be missing his little treats too. I've found a couple of recipes, which I'll run by Katie to check they're OK, but if anyone has any recipes or links for treats for dodgy tummies, then I'd be very grateful if you could let me have them.

Thank you all for your continued support, it means a lot :)

Now we can breath again. Mr. Joey will be up and about again very soon.

L.

Tell Gwanne that its about time for another story.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest bonscoby

Sounds like poor Joey has been handling a lot with his tummy lately. It's interesting that his stomach has tried to compensate by creating mucous to protect it. Glad to hear the heliobacter will respond to the antibiotics. Joey should start to feel even better in 24-48 hours, I would assume.

Angie, you are our hero for staying with it and not giving up!!!! You are a saint!

More hugs and kisses are coming Joey's way....XOXOXOXOXO

Guest Mommydog

Well he's doing OK, very frail and weak though still. The second needling session went well yesterday. Helen put a low electrical current through the needles, as she'd been reading that electrical stimulation is particularly beneficial for gastric problems. He still seems to be having minor periods of discomfort, but I'm pretty certain that's down gas and maybe some acid reflux. I spoke to Katie again today, and he's to come off the Tramadol on Sunday, and I can start to introduce one or two more things into his diet, besides the ubiquitous chicken and rice :P I think he'll be glad, I know I will. I feel like I've cooked the equivalent of several paddy fields over the last month! :lol And I found a recipe for home-made dog biscuits that's supposed to be good for gassy pups, Katie says I'll be OK to make those for him. He had his first proper walk this evening, we took him and Jack down a little lane we often go down. It was only a very short walk, but he seemed to enjoy it, although he's pretty well pooped right now.

Thank you for your continued prayers :)

Guest Pipi5

We're still keeping you all (including Gwanee & Jack the Lad) in our prayers. Pipi's home now, so she's keeping Joey in her thoughts & prayers. :beatheart