Soul Sliced His Stop Pad

Guest SoulsMom

Hey, it's ok. :lol:

Roscoe is doing very well. I think KF in Georgia hit it on the head when she suggested that Roscoes issue may have been from coming to a stop too fast in the sand/dirt. Like rug burn.. except on sand. He did it to both front feet so he was gimping around all weekend. I just kept them clean, used antibacterial ointment the first day, and kept baby socks on him the first day and a half. They're well enough now that he's not limping anymore.. they're healing nicely.

Roscoe says to gice Soul a hug for him.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Flysmom

Hope Souls pad heals fast! I know Fly cut his pad twice, the 2nd time he needed sutures, which he successfully pulled himself... Keep doing wht you are doing for him and if you are still not 100% comfortabel with the paw on Wednesday take him to his favorite vet...

Glad, that Roscoe is doing better!

Poor soul! Diamond sliced hers up about six months or so ago, running in my parents' yard (they'd had a tree cut down and she ran over the little that was left of the stump). It was HIGH drama around our house for a day or so, but I was amazed at how quickly it healed. We just cleaned it up, used neosporin and vet wrap and a bootie on it when she went outside.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest shanesmom

That sounds so painful. I don't know anything about that kind of injury or how it's treated but I sure hope Soul feels better soon.

Just seeing this Amber- poor boy- hope he has a quick and painless recovery.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Hobbes did the exact same thing earlier this week. Can you believe it is already pretty much healed. It's pink skin where the skin came off but no longer sore and it's completely dry. I just kept it covered and put polysporin on it a couple times a day.

Give Soul a kiss for me he has had some tough times.

OMG! Does it ever end for you and Soul??? I swear our vet bills in the last 3 years have been more than raising the 2 human kids. But..........at least our dogs/pets show their appreciation. If it were me, I'd at least call my vet. Good luck!

Want to no when you go to the vets to much?. I phoned to get a appointment for Wally and the receptionist usually asks for my phone number to pull up the file, this time she didn't. I asked if she needed it, her response was " I know who you are, I recognize your voice"

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

ah, found some pictures,

stopper pad protectors:

file_7_45.jpg

file_7_1.jpg

...I knew something was wrong when he leaned his head on my thigh while I was preparing the coffee for in the morning...

blue came over to me this morning at the computer & laid his head on my thigh. i told him 'thank you, i love you too', looked down and he'd gotten his rear leg hung up on his pajamas & couldn't put it down. he was asking me for help. straightened it out, he went looking for a stuffie.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest SoulsMom
Yup--doing everything right and suddenly BAM!

I hope Soul is feeling better now.

How about that snow squall yesterday??!!

I know! What was THAT all about? :blink:

ah, found some pictures,

stopper pad protectors:

file_7_45.jpg

file_7_1.jpg

Looks effective! Oi vay, can't believe I need to suit up my grey like he's a hockey player every time we go outside :rolleyes:

Pinky's pads grow extra tissue that sometimes sticks out...it's a trait of lupus. When I dremel her nails I sand those areas down too. I doubt Soul's pads are as overgrown as Pinky's, but, something to think about.

As long as you keep it clean and it's not bleeding, it should be fine. It'll re-callous (sp?) and be back to *normal* in no time :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest FoxHollowFarm

KB cut his pad and part of his foot on Friday. Part of the pad is gone along with the skin (webbing) between two toes. We keep it clean and put meds on it. I tried a sterile pad and vet wrap... he tore it off immediately.

The meds we normally use are Furizone (yellow goop that comes in a jar) or Red-Kote (bright red antiseptic spray). KB was so sensative, I could not get the Furizone up in-between his toes. The Red-Kote spray worked great. The only down fall is that it will stain your carpet... and his foot looked neon red when I was done with him. I assume he will be limping for a while.

I would wait and call your vet on Wednesday. You have very good instincts. I know that Soul is in very good hands. Take a deep breath and give him a hug from us :+)

blue came over to me this morning at the computer & laid his head on my thigh. i told him 'thank you, i love you too', looked down and he'd gotten his rear leg hung up on his pajamas & couldn't put it down. he was asking me for help. straightened it out, he went looking for a stuffie.

This got a big laugh out of me. It's like Sam coming over in the morning to give me a big kiss--and "accidentally" managing to dip his tongue into my orange juice. :P

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest MAXNAV
OMG! Does it ever end for you and Soul??? I swear our vet bills in the last 3 years have been more than raising the 2 human kids. But..........at least our dogs/pets show their appreciation. If it were me, I'd at least call my vet. Good luck!

Want to no when you go to the vets to much?. I phoned to get a appointment for Wally and the receptionist usually asks for my phone number to pull up the file, this time she didn't. I asked if she needed it, her response was " I know who you are, I recognize your voice"

YUP! The same thing used to happen to me when I had my collie.

How is Soul this morning, Amber?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest SoulsMom

He's good! Not nearly as pathetic as he was yesterday, and I think I may have gotten his pad successfully 'grafted' back together :puke

But after he gave himself a bloody nose last night, he can now only go out in the yard if he's wrapped in bubble wrap <_<

Pinky's pads grow extra tissue that sometimes sticks out...it's a trait of lupus. When I dremel her nails I sand those areas down too. I doubt Soul's pads are as overgrown as Pinky's, but, something to think about.

Yup, Soul's are the same way. Bag Balm usually helps here, but he won't allow me to dremel his pads.

Edited by SoulsMom

He's good! Not nearly as pathetic as he was yesterday, and I think I may have gotten his pad successfully 'grafted' back together :puke

But after he gave himself a bloody nose last night, he can now only go out in the yard if he wrapped in bubble wrap <_<

Yup, Soul's are the same way. Bag Balm usually helps here, but he won't allow me to dremel his pads.

I am glad Soul is feeling better this morning! He keeps you busy! Was the bloody nose from an accident or the lupus? Flex gets them when he is really cracked looking...

Can you tell me what the extra tissue on the pads looks like? Just so I know what I am looking for?

thanks!

Donna

hope Soul is feeling better!!!!

(and I know what ya mean about the bubble wrap!!!) :rolleyes:

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest SoulsMom
I am glad Soul is feeling better this morning! He keeps you busy! Was the bloody nose from an accident or the lupus? Flex gets them when he is really cracked looking...

Can you tell me what the extra tissue on the pads looks like? Just so I know what I am looking for?

thanks!

Donna

The bloody nose was from the lupus. He just bumped it, and on a 'normal' dog that wouldn't be a big deal, but for him not so much :rolleyes:

The extra tissue is kind of like an extension of the paw pads, it grows out a little bumpy beyond the pad. And his stop pads are not round, but bumpy and raggedy

Oh poor Soul! Neither one of you can catch a break!

:lol He's my 'special' boy!

thanks!

Donna

The bloody nose was from the lupus. He just bumped it, and on a 'normal' dog that wouldn't be a big deal, but for him not so much :rolleyes:

The extra tissue is kind of like an extension of the paw pads, it grows out a little bumpy beyond the pad. And his stop pads are not round, but bumpy and raggedy

Oh poor Soul! Neither one of you can catch a break!

:lol He's my 'special' boy!

Oh. we have 'Special boy' syndrome too! ;)

Glad he is doing better.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project