It Just Keeps Getting (worse) Now-better!

They do not see cancer.

They did it under a general (AGAIN) as he was screaming. :(

They did from his neck, all the way to his toes.

There is a mild LS. a lot of swelling was seen in the joint of the right leg. They did a cytology of the swollen joints and sent it out just in case. They did a full TBD and gave him doxy as well.

Left side looks fine, right has some mild arthritic changes from July's pictures.

If it's a bacterial infection (he does have a fever) he will have to come off the pred in order to treat it, otherwise we will have a catch 22 because being on the pred will get in the way of the anitbiotics. Coming off the pred will put him in the throws of a full blown IBD attack and he won't eat again.

We can get him at 4PM.

Why?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That poor little boy. I'm glad he's on the doxy for now anyway. What a nightemare Robin.

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Robin, I am so sorry to read of Beau's illness. Hobbes was on Prednisone (40 mg. - same as Beau) and twice had to take antibiotics at the same time without any problems. There is the issue of immune system being affected by Pred but the antibiotics can still work. Check with your vet but if possible keep him on the Prednisone for the IBD along with the Doxy for infection.

Edited to add - All my thoughts are with you that Beau will be fine!

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

We can treat with doxy and pred.

She is referring to the fever is it is not being addressed by the doxy.

To tell you the truth, my head is spinning from all this.

We lost our Polli 2 weeks ago today and this started with Beau at the same exact time. We've had no time to address one thing before being blindsided by another.

I will ask her why about the doxy being OK but not other antibiotics.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

There is all sorts of anecdotal evidence in cyberspace of pred/antibiotic combo being used to treat all sorts of infectious/inflammatory conditions in people and animals! Don't understand why Beau's condition would be any different.

Sending mega prayers for Beau and comforting hugs for you.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

We can treat with doxy and pred.

She is referring to the fever is it is not being addressed by the doxy.

TBDs can frequently cause a fever. I wouldn't rule out doxy being the antibiotic to solve both the fever and the odd symptoms.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest Greensleeves

Whistler was also on daily prednisone, and he frequently had to take antibiotics (a couple of different ones, and I can't recall which right now) for various chronic infections. Like Beau, he wouldn't eat without the pred, and our vets *never* mentioned a problem with interactions.

Guest Annie

OMG Robin! My heart is breaking for you, your DH and Beau!!! :(

As others have said, checking for TBDs is essential. A couple in our adoption group (Greyhound Pets Inc.) set up a cost effective testing clinic twice a year and it has helped a lot of hounds! A woman I know had a female that was in terrible pain from what was thought to be osteo. It ended up being valley fever and she was able to be treated and improved a great deal.

My prayers continue for you all :hope:hope:hope:candle:candle:candle

Robin I'm sorry, I know this has to be beyond exhausting for you.

Twice ( 5 months apart) Jake has had leg swelling, limping and screaming. He is tick negative, and both times it has been an infection. Dr Couto suggested that it was something that lays dormant and is triggered. He has had many toe nail tears, cuts on his feet etc. For some reason his right back leg is where the infection appears. Last time we treated for 4 weeks with cephalexin and so far we have been good.

I agree, the doxy might do the trick, but make sure the dose and the length of treatment are right. I'd ask Burpdog for that info.

Praying that this does the trick and Beau starts to recover.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I know everyone feels so helpless, and wishes that we could take this pain away. You have been through so much, and my heart is breaking for you and Beau.

Sending a ton of prayers and white light.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest mandm

Perhaps you will be able to make some use of my sad experience:

A few years back I had a young greyhound with suspected, but unconfirmed, IBD. We put her on Pred & novel diet to treat the IBD. A tick panel was done prior to the Pred. The tick panel came back negative. She improved dramatically after Pred. But within a few weeks, she began to get very sick. Bloodwork revealed falling platelets. Regular vet said it was very dangerous -- take her to E-Vet. E-Vet looked over records and said, this is obviously tick disease, Babesia was left off the original tick panel. I said treat it presumptively. E-vet said no, first we have to confirm it. But a quick tick titer would be inaccurate becasue of the Pred. So we have to send off to NC State for a PCR, and that will take 2-4 weeks. E-vet said she thought the dog would last that long. The dog survived return of the Babesia PCR, which was negative. E-vet said we should send off another PCR for a rarer tick disease, I forget the name, it's the one that causes cat-scratch fever. The poor greyhound did not survive the return of that PCR, which also came back negative. She bled out. I was heart broken, but determined to put the experience behind me. Except that friends who had adopted my greyhound's littermate really wanted to know what had killed my greyhound, so I agreed to look through the very thick vet file to see if I could find a clue. The Babesia PCR that was sent to NC was not for babesia Canis, the type the afflicts greyhounds, but for another type of Babesia, the type that affects pitbulls. So likely, my very young greyhound had babesia canis, rare in other breeds, but not so rare in greyhounds.

If I could go back, I would have insisted on presumptive treatment with Imizol. Doxy doesn't touch Babesia.

ETA - Doxy is hard on the stomach. Imizol is hard on the entire system, but can be used to treat both Babesia and Ehrlichia.

Edited by mandm

Guest Spencers_Greyt
They do not see cancer.

They did it under a general (AGAIN) as he was screaming. :(

They did from his neck, all the way to his toes.

There is a mild LS. a lot of swelling was seen in the joint of the right leg. They did a cytology of the swollen joints and sent it out just in case. They did a full TBD and gave him doxy as well.

Left side looks fine, right has some mild arthritic changes from July's pictures.

If it's a bacterial infection (he does have a fever) he will have to come off the pred in order to treat it, otherwise we will have a catch 22 because being on the pred will get in the way of the anitbiotics. Coming off the pred will put him in the throws of a full blown IBD attack and he won't eat again.

We can get him at 4PM.

Why?

Well I guess you could look on the bright side that it's NOT cancer! But I know that doesn't make it any easier to help poor Beau! Lots of hugs to you and Beau!

Guest KyGrey

I have no advice or even suggestions but want you to know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers and special prayers are going out for Beau.