Romeo Has Osteo

Guest Leah

As i type this Romeo is on his favorite spot on the couch beside me. We went back to the vet this morning. His limping was much worse and he has stopped putting weight on that leg even with the rimadyl and tramadol. The x-ray comfirmed what I knew but did not want to admit. The vet said it seems aggresive and he is in pain. We have upped his dose of tramadol and she gave me a prescription for morphine if he needs it. She said he might have a couple of weeks. I hope no one thinks bad of me, but I can't see putting him through an amputation and chemo.

I came home from picking up his meds and he came to the door wagging his tail. This is breaking my heart. Romeo is our first greyhound. He is our gentle giant. We called him the perfect greyhound. I can't believe this is happening to my big boy. Life is so unfair. I prayed and prayed so hard for him to be ok. Now all I can do is sit here and cry.

Edited by Leah

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest meakah
:cry1 I am so sorry to hear this awful news. :grouphug And for what it is worth....I doubt I would amputate in that situation either. My thoughts are with you....

I'm so sorry. It just hurts so bad know. I hope he has many happy comfortable days left in which you can spoil him silly and make memories to last a life time. :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

OH Leah and Reynolds I am so sorry :(

I was praying those would not be the results you guys would hear.

No one thinks badly of you and if they do then they are fools!

:grouphug :grouphug

Guest Flysmom

I am so sorry! I don't think anybody here is thinking bad or less of you for not going thru with the Amputation, which might not even help. My heart goes out to you. Enjoy the time you have and shower Romeo with cuddles and kisses.

Guest Annie

I am so terribly sorry about your Romeo. :cry1 Please don't feel badly about your decision to not amputate. It is a very painful surgery, and as we have seen lately on GT, doesn't always buy them much time. :sad1

If you don't mind my adding, osteo is enormously painful, and if the bone should break, it is excruciating. When you help your beloved Romeo to the Bridge, it is better a day too soon, than a moment too late. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

My prayers are with you and Romeo. :hope:hope:hope

Edited by Annie

:cry1 I am so sorry to hear this awful news. :grouphug And for what it is worth....I doubt I would amputate in that situation either. My thoughts are with you....

Ditto

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh, Leah, I'm so sorry you've gotten this devastating news about your big, beautiful boy. Too many of us know exactly how you feel.

You and Romeo will be in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest BlackandBrindle

My heart is breaking for you :grouphug :grouphug

You are doing what you know is right for your pup. I truly wish no one had to deal with this horrible disease. Please know you all are in our thoughts and prayers :grouphug

Oh no :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

I'm so terribly sorry. :( I totally understand your decision not to amputate. Spend all the time you can with him, spoil him rotten, and make some beautiful memories together.

We're here for you. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Leah, I am so sorry to hear this. Hugs to you and Reynolds! And a big hug to Romeo!

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Guest CDNgreys

I'm so sorry.

When boy had the same diagnosis, amputation wasn't an option. He had 4 fun filled days before he was called away.

Make the most of the couple of weeks Romeo has!!!

My heart goes out to you. :grouphug

Guest argolola

Oh sweetheart, I am so sorry.

My heart is breaking for you. Please take comfort in knowing that Romeo lives in the moment and you make him very happy. He doesn't worry about tomorrow or next week. Dogs are thinking about the here and now, and in that he knows that he has a wonderful mom and dad and he is content.

You and Romeo will be in my prayers. If you need anything, please let me know.

:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png