Caesar's Breathing Is Labored

Guest tennesseegrey

Guest tennesseegrey

Caesar has Osteosarcoma. A little over a month ago, we discovered lesions in his lungs. I had to put him back on Tramadol last Friday. He started coughing in the middle of the night last night, but hasn't done much coughing since then. He's not panting, but his breathing is so fast. Is there something I can give him to slow his breathing down so he can relax more?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no advice....but sending my prayers and white light. Kiss Caesar for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Winterwish

:grouphug I'm sure others who have been thru' this will help you with advice tennesseegrey. Are you near your vet? or can you call him or her?

Keeping your boy Caesar in my thoughts and prayers. :hope:hope:hope

Oh no. I am so sorry you are both going through this. I would ask the vet what she suggests. Is he stressing or just panting heavily due to the ca?

Prayers for your baby.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest tennesseegrey
Oh no. I am so sorry you are both going through this. I would ask the vet what she suggests. Is he stressing or just panting heavily due to the ca?

Prayers for your baby.

He's not really panting much, just breathing so fast. It worries me. I'll give the vet a shout.

:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hoping your vet has been able to talk with you.

One thing that can happen when the lungs are compromised is, pup has to breathe faster to stay oxygenated because the lungs have smaller capacity.

Sending some hugs to you and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I"m so sorry :(

Sending lots of good thoughts to you and your boy Caesar.

:grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sending prayers for your boy.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest kelli123

So so very sorry you have to go through this. We have been there. I used to put a fan on my baby. I thought it helped him some. We will pray for all of you

His breathing is rapid due to decreased oxygen. I know this is EXTREMELY difficult but please remember to do what is right for the dog. We all hold on to hope but when cancer has spread to the lungs it is a only a matter of time. Unfortunately, Caesar won't get better and each day brings more suffering.

Guest Vinnie

Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers. When Vinnie was breathing heavily we would put the fan on and a wet washcloth on him and/or wipe him down. He also loved ice cubes and ice water. This helped settle his lungs, slow the breathing and the coughing. Sending extra scritches.

Guest Pipi5

Prayers for your baby.

He's not really panting much, just breathing so fast. It worries me. I'll give the vet a shout.

I just lost Gogh 3 weeks ago to Osteosarcoma, there was a nodule in his left lung when we first did xrays on his leg...I noticed his breathing was short & deep. He didn't ever cough, never panted except when he was hurting in his leg.

I would consult with your vet. Ditto what Mike said.

Edited by Pipi5

This reminds me so much of what my beloved lab, Chaka, went through. She was misdiagnosed for a month, they finally did an xray and found a tumor deep in her abdomen, we could see on the xray that it had metastasized to her lungs. She wasn't in pain for the next few days, but the night her breathing became labored was her last night on earth, I couldn't let her suffer because of my needs. Though it was one of the most painful things I've gone through, I was grateful that I could release her from her pain and suffering.

It's so hard, my thoughts are with you.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest greydogluvr

I am so sorry. I know this does not help in your decision, but know there is a lot of support here for you. Only you know what is right for your boy. You will be in our prayers

Prayers for Caesar and for you, may you find the strength when you need to be brave.......

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose