Beau- The Diagnosis Is Here And It Is Ibd

RobinM

Guest MorganKonaAlex

That's great news. Morgan had mild IBD, confirmed by a scope many years ago. I think the reason you're getting all sorts of contradictory advice is because each dog has a different food intolerance. For Morgan, once we found a food that worked, he didn't need any medication. He never gained weight coming off the track though and was always a fussy eater. In addition, there became a physiological issue too. After experiencing stomach upset after eating previously, he was never that thrilled to eat. For him, we had to get him started (with deli roast beef the last 6 months) and then he'd eat his kibble.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping that you can get this under control now that you have a diagnosis, and that sweet Beau will feel better.

Please eat, Beau!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest greytbookert

I'm so happy that the dx is not the dreaded "C"! It was suspected that our Booker had IBD, so I know the heartache of trying a food that 1. he would eat and 2. wouldn't be an issue. I found that the Slippery Elm Bark powder, along with bovine colostrom really helped him. Beau's digestive tract will need some rest (as you well know). I hope you are able to find something that works for handsome, Beau!

Guest greytmonty

So glad it isn't cancer!!!!

IBD us serious but treatable.

I wouldn't muck around with many different things at once. Try the new food (same one Monty is on) and the pred, and don't start with a bunch of powders or supplements.

I agree that Slippery Elm Bark would be very healing for his IBD. You can get it at any health food store. When Dylan was very sick and wouldn't eat, that's all I fed him. I mixed it with a little water and honey and syringed it in his mouth. I take the capsules myself if my stomach is off. The colostrum would be a good idea also. Let us know. Neither one would interfere with any medications he's taking. Prayers coming your way.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Well at least you finally know what the problem is! Now you can work on fixing it. As much as I don't like Prednisone it's a miracle cure for a lot of inflammatory problems! I hope Beau starts feeling better soon!

Robin, can you start him on the wet version of that food and then go to kibble? Sometimes that stinky stuff is more appealing to them than the kibble itself. I am glad you have a diagnosis you can work with.

Robin, can you start him on the wet version of that food and then go to kibble? Sometimes that stinky stuff is more appealing to them than the kibble itself. I am glad you have a diagnosis you can work with.

I bought a slow cooker today so we could make whitefish broth / gravy to try to be more appealing. I hope that is going to work.

I put the pred down his throat - then said, ok Beau- let's eat but it didn't quite work like that...

That is pred # 2. He will get # 3 very late tonight, but if he doesn't eat tonight, I may just have a complete meltdown.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Hang in there. You know what you're working with now (and thank goodness it's not cancer) and you have a treatment plan. You'll get there!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest EmbersDad

who would have thought we would do a happy dance for a diagnosis of ibd...but like everyone said, its waay better than the other. feel better soon beau.

I am glad you finally have a diagnosis, and it's not the unmentionable! Fletcher has fairly mild IBD, and once I figured out what his triggers were, he has not had to be on any regular meds. Beau's is more severe, it sounds like, and he may need some form of meds all his life, but at least it can be managed!

It will take some time, and you'll have to watch his diet like a hawk, once you figure out what works (and what doesn't). There are a variety of supplements that can help, Fletcher gets pumpkin and yogurt with every meal. He was on colostrum for awhile at the beginning, too. I would hold off on these though, if it were my dog, until you have his main food source worked out. :bighug

I am adding this after reading your latest email. Remember that he probably still doesn't feel 100% from his surgery, and he's not a morning person when it comes to eating :lol The pred should work pretty fast, but it still may take a couple of days. more :bighug

Edited by Remolacha

I too am glad that you finally have a diagnosis and am delighted that it's not The Evil Thing. But I can imagine how frustrating it is when the little sod won't eat :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest koolaidnconner

Oh boy thank Dog! Conner has sever IBD as well. He is on ZD ultra allergen free kibble. It has worked wonders. He can't have a spoonful of anything else or he is sick for a few days! He was on prednisone and one other drug, I can't remember the name of it. Anyways after about 4 months we started weening him off and he has been ok without drugs, we just have to make sure that he only eats his own food!

Good Luck......hugs for Beau!

Guest myjazzy
Oh so happy you have answers now, a dx you can live with. Hoping the road to the 'right' food + meds combo for handsome Beau is short.

Even though IBD is serious, it's treatable. When Darla was diagnosed with severe liver disease and I knew that, if she survived, she would have needed a special diet for the rest of her life, the vet suggested a consult with a pet nutritionist. I can't remember the name, but I think they are out of California. That could be a resource to help you figure out how to go about finding out what Beau can and cannot tolerate. With Darla, we postponed the consult until she was over the crisis, but she didn't make it. Anyway, I hope the pred kicks in soon and sweet Beau starts eating.

I'm glad you have an answer and it's not cancer. Hope you can get the right combination of food and meds quickly to get him to eat and feel better.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Sounds weird to say that I'm relieved, but I am, I am, I am...

So now you have a diagnosis to work with. I know you still have a lot to deal with and that IBD is a serious condition, but breathe, Robin, you are no longer feeling your way in the dark anymore. You know what is wrong with him and, baby step by baby step, you and Beau WILL get through this. You must believe this. Beau needs you to be strong and I know you will be for his sake. :bighug

Sending many hugs your way. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Robin, I am glad that you have a diagnosis and are on the way to finding Beau's best treatment plan. I hope he starts eating soon. :grouphug

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Well, I'm very relieved it's not lymphoma. :D I hate that you and Beau have to go through all of this, but at least you've ruled out cancer and know for sure what you're dealing with now.

Hope the pred kicks in soon and his appetite picks up right away. :goodluck

Robin, I am glad that you have a diagnosis and are on the way to finding Beau's best treatment plan. I hope he starts eating soon. :grouphug

I sent you an email this afternoon.

OK, well he does like poached talapia but only had maybe 1/2 cup and did not eat the kibble. The one thing that got him up was when it was time to take the others for a after dinner walkie. So, DH took Beau on a short walk around the block and his tail was wagging. When he got back, he expected his small piece of dried chicken tender ( when any of them go out, they get a small piece of cookie when the come back in) and just stood there staring at me. I gave him a piece of fish. He ate it.

I will try again later.

Hopefully, the pred will kick in tomorrow and he will want to eat his kibble. My whole house, fingers - everything smell like fish.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project