She Bloated Last Night

seeh2o

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes, just seeing this! I need to replace the candle, so this will be a special "plentiful poop" candle just for Sheila. Holding good thoughts, of course.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Oh no! Sending prayers and chanting POOP POOOOOOOP POOOOOOOOOOOP! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest trevdog

I know what you are going through, hang in there....they may want to do xrays every six hours or so, to make sure things are moving along.....at least it was food and not a blockage or a twist.....praying for some good poopies soon!

Connie is just pulling into the e-vet now. Shelia still hasn't gone so Connie is going to walk her in hopes she can get her to poop.

So please, keep the good thoughts coming

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest houndlover

Oh Wow! That is so scary but it sounds like it could have been much, much worse. I hope that Shelia is feeling better and has done her "business".

Just reading this. Prayers for your sweet girl.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

oh no. i haven't even met you and your dogs yet, but knowing that were neighbors, i feel like i know you guys! good thoughts for sheila...

Sending stimulating prayers to Sheila. Come on, baby girl! You can do it!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Just seeing this now, Connie......dang......I hope Sheila will be ok. Sending more good thoughts your way. :hope:hope:hope

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I am also just now seeing this, sending lots of prayers she will be ok.... :hope:hope:hope:hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Well, I am back from the vet, I'm going to go back later tonight around 8 when last night's vet comes in. They brought Sheila to me in a room, she had just been walked, so I visited with her instead. They said on that walk she'd had lots of gas and some diarrhea, so they cleaned her up before bringing her out. The brought a blanket, so I laid down with her on it on the exam room floor. As soon as she heard my voice I could see her face brighten up. The medications she is on are causing her to pant heavily, probably the discomfort, too. She looks so much better than last night, her belly and sides are soft (she felt tight like a drum and she looked like a Macy's Day parade balloon, it was horrible). They showed me her xrays from today vs last night, her stomach has gone down by at least 2/3 and you can see where the food is moving into her intestines...and that her intestines are working. Slowly, but they are working. As I type this I am recalling that she has always had a fairly slow digestive tract, she can throw up and it may well be something from a day or so before. Blech!

Anyway, the vet did show me that there is still gas in her stomach. She was torn on what to advise me to do. Either continue on and let things work out, the gas would work out with the food, or to give her more diazepam and tube her again. I asked her what she would do if she were her dog, she seemed stumped when I said that :blink: She told me that if we let it work it's way through that she still runs the risk of having her stomach twist, that we are not out of the woods yet. I immediately said I wanted them to tube her again, I do not want to run the risk of her stomach twisting. She is too old to be put through surgery and I won't do that to her, so cut the risk down by tubing her. She said the risk of tubing her was the possibility of perforating her stomach which could also have deadly consequences. I thought to myself, you went to school for this, you can do this without a stomach perf!

I sat/laid with her for about 45 min. just petting her and loving her, she relaxed at one point so much so that I think she slept a little bit. I asked if they were ready, they were waiting on me! They told me I could wait while they did the procedure. The vet came out and said it went well, gas came out and some "food sludge, too", but not as much as she, the vet, would have liked. She has said repeatedly that she is worried about some sort of blockage, that I should follow up with an ultra sound with my regular vet. Sheila has never had any problem pooping, granted she never has had her stomach blow up like this before either so I guess it could reveal something lurking there. My gut tells me that she's a dog with a slow digestive tract and she's 13, so it will come out on Sheila time, not my time or the vet's time. The vet is still saying that she's not out of the woods yet, but is guarded about the outcome. One really good thing is that

Sheila's vital signs have been absolutely stable through this whole ordeal. She's a tough nut, my girl.

I'm going back again this evening, I'm going to bring a shirt with me so she can have it in her crate when I leave.

When I got home I could see how worried Carl was, he could smell Sheila all over me and just keeps looking at me like, "Where is Sheila?".

Thanks again to everyone for your prayers and good thoughts. Please keep praying and hoping for good poo and lots of it.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I went to visit her tonight, I brought a stinky shirt of mine and some of her dog food. I would have brought her a dead rat (that's what she always brought me when I was down or sick), but I'm not such a skilled hunter as she was! The vet wants to get her started eating and drinking again. They took me to the space where she was, they had lots of soft comforters, etc. for her to lay on, so I laid down beside her. I think they were a little surprised by that, but what-ev. She wasn't as excited to see me this evening as she was earlier in the afternoon, I think it was because she was doped up from the sedation. She did sniff at the food I brought her, but wouldn't eat any of it. Obviously NOT like my silly girl and she wouldn't drink yet either. The vet decided to turn off the sedation IV while I was there. I was hoping to stick around for another half hour or so to see how she was doing off of it, but they very kindly and gently indicated that I should leave. They said the vet was concerned that when the sedation wore off she might get too mobile and restless. They were having numerous emergencies come in and I think it was of concern to them that they had a civilian back there! Two little Poms were in from a pit bull attack and another dog was being brought in, sadly, to be put to sleep.

She did have some big D, but hadn't yet pooped since I was there in the afternoon. I think they are waiting for the "big evacuation", as am I. Her belly wasn't nearly as big as it was this afternoon and I could feel her ribs again. The vet that was on tonight was the one who saw her last night when she came in, she was also the vet who has been the more positive of the two :) (no talk of spleenectomys from her... :wacko:) and had done some research on "food bloat". She said that dogs with food bloat, meaning they've eaten way too much and bloat because of the food bloating in their tummies, have less of a chance of the stomach twisting because the stomach weighs too much to move. If your dog is going to have bloat, I guess this is the one to get.

I'm about to call and check on her. I'm am "supposed" to pick her up tomorrow morning at 7am!!!

Imagine it's not a cat patoot! :hope:catscat:candle:catscat:clover:catscat:goodluck

(edited to say that I've got to find some humor in this situation about this or I'll collapse and be absolutely worthless...I do have hope)

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014