Soul Is Sick Again

Guest SoulsMom

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KRKWMU

No advice for you, but just wanted to say that we've been thinking about you and Soul. This has got to be SO frustrating for you. :( Glad you got to talk to your vet already today. Sending good thoughts that Soul just had a "bump in the road" and that everything will be good again soon. :goodluck

Your vet sounds like a great person to have in your corner. Having that Flagyl on hand for any future flair ups has to give you some peace of mind, as does his/her support of your decision to get Flagyl in him yesterday. Sending healing thoughts to your and Soul.

--Lucy and Piper

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest SoulsMom

You're right Lucy and Piper ABD. I love my vet, I really do. He is awesome.

I just wish he didn't bat for the other team ;):beatheart

Edited by SoulsMom

Might want to note that flagyl is not something that should be given just one or two pills now and then, like immodium or pepto bismol. It's primarily an antibiotic. You want to give it for at least 10 days. Else you're apt to start breeding resistant bacteria.

If the dog is having ongoing difficulties and flagyl has proven effective, it's worth discussing with your vet putting the dog on a long-term course of the med. Dogs regularly take flagyl for 6 months or more without ill effect. And (unlike reglan, for example) it's a reasonably safe med to give when you don't yet know what's wrong.

All that said, it doesn't hurt to keep some on hand for future troubles that might start over a weekend when vet is unavailable.

Hugs and scritchies to your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh Amber I am so relieved to hear that Soul did not need to be hospitalized!

Big hugs to you and your sweet boy.

I understand 100% your feeling about Tufts. I an KNOT a fan of the "local" (1-1/2 hr away) big vet hospital here, either. It's why we took Joe out of province for his heart/lung issues.

Donna (also a poop inspector :) )

Gawd, I'm so on edge everytime he goes outside, for fear of what might come out of him :sad1

Oh yeah. For months and months, my heart was in my throat every time Minnie pooped. For a few years, I used a flash to check whenever she pooped in the dark. I'm less nervous now, and less (ahem) anal now about the flash, but I still look.

I'm glad you had a chance to speak to your vet. I hope the new plan keeps Soul on track.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Hoping today is a better day. Did you read the article I sent you on B12. Everone here is on that and probiotics to keep the good bacteria in their gut.

Sending more hugs and a kiss for our boy.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

:lol Same here! I'm sure there are a lot of us Poop Inspectors out there

Yeah, like in the dead of winter with my bathrobe, boots and flashlight. And this seems normal to me!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

:lol Same here! I'm sure there are a lot of us Poop Inspectors out there

Yeah, like in the dead of winter with my bathrobe, boots and flashlight. And this seems normal to me!

Oh... it isn't? :huh

:lol:

Janet, could I have a copy of that article on B12 too please?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest SoulsMom
Janet, could I have a copy of that article on B12 too please?

I saved it, I'll sent it to you. Thanks, Janet, I've added to my "list" of things to help Soul . . . .

That was me yesterday morning! Out there in -1 with my giant flashlight, poking through poop :lol:

Edited by SoulsMom

Poop inspectors would be a good subject for C/F some day...not right now since I can't be on line very long to respond & tell my story.

I hope Soul is doing better today...bless his tummy.

I'll keep you both in my prayers through out the day and hopefully next time I can get on line, I'll have a good update from you.

:hope

Sounds like Soul Man and Mom had a really close call! Thank G*d for FWF (friends with flagyl)! Soul Man, we're all praying :hope:hope:hope as hard as we can for this little episode to fade into the background like a bad dream. Mom needs a break, too! :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Is there any way of posting a link to the article about B12?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

For your furture reference ....

I've used the Tufts emergency clinic in Walpole (as someone previously mentioned) for some semi-emergencies (diarrhea, muscle cramps) and I was satisfied with the professionalism and the outcome of the visit. It's a small place though so, if it's a real emergency (accident/bleeding or so on..) I get into Angel in Boston. They have emergency services and I think they charge 100 extra.

Guest SoulsMom

I've pretty much decided that if we ever have to go to the E-vet again, Angel it will be . . . .

Soul just amazes me. He felt so awfully bad yesterday and this morning, but tonight he was a madman, and played with his stuffies for an hour straight. :wub:

Continuing with the small meals of canned I/D. He had another BM that was blood free, save for a small amount of dark, digested blood from yesterday. . . .

Go Soul!!! Hope you keep feeling better sweetie! :kiss2 :kiss2 :kiss2 We're all thinking of you here.... there are 10 fingers and 8 paws crossed for you here at all times :)

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest MAXNAV

Hi Amber,

Glad to hear that Soul is doing better. It's so frustrating not knowing what the heck is going on, and that they can't tell us. Ugh....

Doreen

I'm glad to hear that he's feeling better. :)

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.