Soul Is Sick Again

Guest SoulsMom

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RSD_Ranger

Hi Amber, don't know if this will help or not, but Ranger was on Pepcid AC after his amputation. So at least you know that is dog-safe to give for upset tummies. He is also allowed to take Pepto-bismol due to side effects of his chemo. Just thinking of human things you may already have in the house to soothe his tummy.

Guest SoulsMom

Thank you everyone. He's in his typical deep morning slumber now. The healing blanket must have helped because he got on that and settled down. I'll just keep monitoring him . . .no tummy soothers in the house, as I rarely get an upset stomach myownself (Piper ABD ;) )

I just can't believe after two months of good health this is happening again. And that I have no idea what could have caused it this time. As if we even know what caused it in the first place. He was doing so well! We can KNOT go through another HGE episode, Soul just doesn't do well in the hospital AT ALL. I'll give him a small dinner of canned I/D and then a couple of small snacks of the same tonight and call the vet in the morning. Poor monkey, I hate to see him feeling so puny again :(

Thank you Kerry. I hear ya that it's brutal out there. You all take care and stay warm, OK? It was negative one when I went out to inspect his poop. Def a deep freeze to begin 2009. Just now it's only gotten up to ten degrees . . . .

I am so sorry. Does your vet refer to an emergency clinic when they are closed? If so...could you call and explain his history in hopes that they could get you a script for some antibiotics? Hug Soul Man for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thank you everyone. He's in his typical deep morning slumber now. The healing blanket must have helped because he got on that and settled down. I'll just keep monitoring him . . .no tummy soothers in the house, as I rarely get an upset stomach myownself (Piper ABD ;) )

I just can't believe after two months of good health this is happening again. And that I have no idea what could have caused it this time. As if we even know what caused it in the first place. He was doing so well! We can KNOT go through another HGE episode, Soul just doesn't do well in the hospital AT ALL. I'll give him a small dinner of canned I/D and then a couple of small snacks of the same tonight and call the vet in the morning. Poor monkey, I hate to see him feeling so puny again :(

Thank you Kerry. I hear ya that it's brutal out there. You all take care and stay warm, OK? It was negative one when I went out to inspect his poop. Def a deep freeze to begin 2009. Just now it's only gotten up to ten degrees . . . .

Ah, the power of blankies in a greyhound's life :wub:

I know it's not easy, but try not to worry too much today. You said he did a normal poop this morning, right? Maybe he just has a bit of an upset stomach, it may not be HGE again. Just monitor, and have a nice cup of tea to help you relax. It's good that he's resting now.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

No advice to offer- just prayers for you and Soul.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I just recently learned of something that helps my apparent IBD dog when she flares....

Catnip

I planted some in my backyard to always have fresh for my cat. sometimes when she flares she eats greens. She hunts a particular kind of grass in the yard or she eats the spider plant in the house. On this particular day she was eating the catnip plant and was over her flare up within four hours. This past time since it's winter and the plant is dormant, I boiled some dried 'nip that I harvested before the first freeze. I made....tea I guess.... and syringed it down her. It took a little longer for her to feel better but her gurgling stopped and she was ready to eat by evening. I'm not sure if she had any intestinal bleeding this time because the weather was too bad to go inspect the poos.

I have to assume that other mint plants would work as well. I've shopped for mint teas but they all have other stuff in them, not just mint.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Hey Amber! Maybe with any luck it's just a passing thing this time. I know how terrifying it is after last time. But I think you're wise to just give him a light meal of of the canned and see how he goes tonight. And we'll cross all crossable appendages that whatever it was it's over.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest greytbookert

Amber, I was just thinking... do you want me to go up to the Herbal Apothecary and get some Slippery Elm Bark and mail it to you? I really don't mind... It might help to soothe the digestive tract. It really helped Booker when he was so sick. It's cheap too... they aren't open today, but I can run and get it tomorrow... just let me know!

I hope its just something minor :candle

only suggestion I have is sometimes Fletcher will be restless and I give him a dose of Baby Gas-X. He doesn't like it, but it seems to settle him. I have it on hand in case of bloat.

I hope you start to warm up soon! I can't even imagine brrrr

Guest SoulsMom

He just pooped and there is blood :weep A smallish amount, his poop was formed, but coated in blood. Please send good thoughts that he doesn't get any worse today . . . .

Thank you Deb, you are the best. But at this point I think it's time to fast him again . . . I can't believe this is happening . . . .

Guest greytbookert
He just pooped and there is blood :weep A smallish amount, his poop was formed, but coated in blood. Please send good thoughts that he doesn't get any worse today . . . .

Thank you Deb, you are the best. But at this point I think it's time to fast him again . . . I can't believe this is happening . . . .

Oh crap! no pun intended! Fasting is probably best right now! I'll be praying for you both!

I agree with the decision to fast him... just got your text msg and logged on. I'm SO sorry. :cry1:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

ETA - I have to go to a friend's house for a few hours - but I have my cell with me!! Pls. call if there is ANYTHING I can do. :grouphug

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest SoulsMom

No other options, and they refuse to give me flagyl unless I bring him in. But thank heavens I called Jeannie (Frostybottoms) and she suggested I call a friend nearby. They have some flagyl and now I'm off to pick some up . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest FrostyBottoms
No other options, and they refuse to give me flagyl unless I bring him in. But thank heavens I called Jeannie (Frostybottoms) and she suggested I call a friend nearby. They have some flagyl and now I'm off to pick some up . . .

OH YAY! I'm glad they had some! He'll be better soon! :grouphug

Edited by FrostyBottoms

Guest p51crazyhorse

Praying for sweet Soul, this is not what I wanted to read this morning :( poor baby, give him some hugs and kisses from me and the crew

Keep us updated please, I really hope he doesnt have to go spend days at the vet again