Beau- Still Not Good, Getting Worse, I Fear

RobinM

Robin, if Beau's intestinal tract is irritated, it could be why you are seeing the blood. Can you get any of the soothing medication down him that you have been given for his stomach?

Don't let him eat any more grass - it could be causing more irritation to his stomach. I wouldn't give him anything but the blandest food possible so his stomach and gut can rest.

Try a little chicken broth, maybe some bland mashed potatoes, some Ensure. This should hold you over till your vet can get a look at him. An ultra-sound or stomach x-ray seems to be needed to get a diagnosis for poor Beau.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liquid poop.Tinged with blood. I called the vet and spoke to her. I can not stomach her and I get the feeling, the feeling is mutual. We have a call into the vet who does the acupunture. I am really scared to bring him into the vet at the usual place. I am so all over the place right now.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Winterwish

Robin if there is any question if it's the start of HGE,the treatment for it is fairly straight forward. If you think it could be that,even if the vet on today is not the one you go to,if there's a question of whether or not it's HGE,beginning treatment is the most important thing.

Also,Solid Gold's beef patties. An excellant enhancer for the appetite. If Beau is not eating a lot,actually even half of a pattie is very nutritioious. It's 100% beef,freeze dried.

:bighug

Edited by Winterwish

Robin, if Beau's intestinal tract is irritated, it could be why you are seeing the blood. Can you get any of the soothing medication down him that you have been given for his stomach?

Don't let him eat any more grass - it could be causing more irritation to his stomach. I wouldn't give him anything but the blandest food possible so his stomach and gut can rest.

Try a little chicken broth, maybe some bland mashed potatoes, some Ensure. This should hold you over till your vet can get a look at him. An ultra-sound or stomach x-ray seems to be needed to get a diagnosis for poor Beau.

We have been giving him the stomach soother. Carafate. We will give him ANYTHING to eat- he will not EAT ANYTHING at all. Kibble, wet, tripe chicken, beef, rice nothing. He will not take chicken broth when he is feeling like this. We are going to take him to the vet I can't stand. I don't know what for, but maybe we can get the labs done today so that it will be ready for my vet to see tomorrow first thing. We will bring the poop too.

Wish us luck.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Oh Robin, is it ever going to stop? Quite a few here have dealt with HGE so hopefully they'll see this. Isin't this what Soul and Chance went through? Like Mary already said, treatment is pretty staright forward and successful if you stick to the diet. Good thoughts for your boy

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Spoke to the vet at the acupunture place and he said to give him Flagyl (which we took him off of a week ago) and that of course without examing him etc, he could not diagnosis but it sound more like colitis than HGE.

So, I will give him 250mg of flagyl and I think we should bring him in.

Guest dsszarzi
Liquid poop.Tinged with blood. I called the vet and spoke to her. I can not stomach her and I get the feeling, the feeling is mutual. We have a call into the vet who does the acupunture. I am really scared to bring him into the vet at the usual place. I am so all over the place right now.

Robin,

I just wrote a long reply, looked up the spelling of a word, and lost my reply! I went through something similar with my Buddy. Call me when you find time. Sandy 303-420-5802.

Guest greytmonty

I am so sorry to be hearing of Beau's problems. I would be worried with the blood. Monty had gastroenteritis and they ruled out HGE but when we saw blood we took him in.

Good luck, I am thinking of you.

Guest dsszarzi

Robin,

I just wrote a long reply, looked up the spelling of a word, and lost my reply! I went through something similar with my Buddy. Call me when you find time. Sandy 303-420-5802.

NOTE: I apologize for not sharing Buddy's sickness with everyone, but I intend to do so. Right now I felt I needed to talk to Robin ASAP.

Oh no! :ohno :ohno Only just seeing this now. Poor, poor Beau. :( I'm so sorry, Robin :sad1:grouphug Please keep us posted!

Do you know why they're suspecting colitis rather than HGE?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest SoulsMom

Robin, how much blood? If it increases, he really needs to get to the hospital. With HGE early treatment is the key. I found out later that if I had waited until morning with Soul then I probably would have lost him.

RE: Colitis~usually this presents itself with mucousy blood mixed with formed stool. Was there any mucous?

Don't let him eat grass -- muzzle with stool cup or tape over the end will stop most of it.

I totally agree. The grass will mess up his stomach.

We have done colitis many times with Chase. Keep up the carafate just in case. Add the flagyl. you really need to keep his food bland and the same; don't change it to temp him to eat as it messes up his stomach. I know you want him to eat. I know he is losing. I have been there many times and Chase is still here with me. I know it is hard. He can wait until 8 a.m. unless you see a big bloody blow-out.

For Chase's colitis bouts, the only thing that works for him is Kao-pec. It is only Kaolin (colloidal) 90 gr. and Pectin (citrus)

2 gr. We give him 30 ccs at least twice a day with a syringe. I know Beau doesn't like stuff down his throat. This is the only thing that works for Chase. In the interium, when he is jsut having an off day, I do use the pink bismuth tabs from the store. It does have the salicyl... stuff, but not enough to cause problems (cats are another story). Even though the kao-pec is considered an anti-diarrheal, it coats the stomach and sooths the gut.

I knwo you are scared. It is a scarey thing. Beau will get better. :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest ArtysPeople

Poor Beau, and poor you!

I'm sure you've already been through everything with your vet, but has he been treated and/or tested for whipworms? I know that not all preventatives guard against all the varieties of parasites out there, and in what I've seen as a kennel volunteer, bloody diarrhea can be a sign of whipworms. I think they treat it with a different type of de-wormer than what we usually give the recent retirees who are new to the kennel. I'm sure someone with more specific knowledge than I have can jump in if you need it. It's just a thought.

My heart just goes out to you, Robin!

Happy is also dealing with long, drawn-out, and totally mysterious tummy issues (kept us awake most of last night), so I feel your pain! I hope you find something that works for poor Beau!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Thanks all. We are back from the vet.

Beau had x-rays and more labs done. The good is news there was no obvious obstruction, no obvious masses. His stomach looked full and she was a bit concerned why it looked full on the x-ray if he hadn't eaten unless it was the grass, (which he was out there a loooong time eating) or dinner from last night.

Blood will be back tomorrow. he pooped while there. no blood. But no real answers either.

He is now so drugged out of his mind and looks so sad and pathetic. he is down to 61 pounds from 64. He wouldn't get out of my car so that was a production- trying to get him out of there....

Please say a prayer for my poor Beau. This is just not right.

ETA- Forgot to add that although he was not dehydragted we opted for a sub q just as a precaution.

Edited by RobinM

I'm glad you decided to take Beau to the vet. A couple years ago, Fields had the same symptoms as Beau, and he was treated with Tylan powder, and B-12 shots for 6 weeks, and a single protein diet...no treats, no nothing except his food and meds. He lost 8 lbs quickly and was off his food, gurgly tummy, then the bloody stools. He still stays on a single protein food(venison), and his treats are also the same protein, so his tummy doesn't get messed up again. He scared me to death, and I don't want to go through that again.

He had to wear a muzzle with stool guard to keep him from acting like a goat. My vet, said grass is absolutely the worse thing a dog with an irritated stomach and bowels can eat, and it's always the first thing they go for when they feel ill. As so many others have said, you need to keep him from eating grass. I also would stick with one food only and nothing else until the vet figures out what's going on. It's tempting to offer a dog that won't eat everything in the fridge and pantry, but not always the best thing to do.

You're in my thoughts.

Edited by AngelWhispers

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Thanks for the update. Poor Beau. Anxious to hear what the blood tests will say. At least there was no blood in his last poop. I hope that's a good sign.

Continued good thoughts coming your way, and hugs for you. Let's hope you're getting closer to getting some solid answers. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Glad you took him in. :) Even if you didn't get any real answers tonight, you have eliminated a few things on your list of concerns. Beau will get better. It just takes time.

Losing weight fast is another reason I keep a few extra pounds on my boys. Vinnie lost a pound a day for a week. Rex lost several pounds with an illness as well. Scarey stuff :(

Edited by VinnieAndRexsMom

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.