Jed - Keota Rhino

JedsMom

Jed is gone. It was very peaceful. I am devastated and I want to give him a good tribute, but that will have to wait.

I love you, Mister Boy.

Growing up, I always wanted a dog. I don’t know when I realized I wanted a greyhound, but for years before I was finally able to get a dog, I knew a greyhound was the dog for me. When DH and I moved to North Carolina, everything just seemed to line up for us to finally get our dog. There was even an adoption group within 5 miles from our apartment! It was meant to be.

Our first few visits to the adoption agency, we met and liked a huge fawn boy, (95 pounds!) named Tank. Tank went to his forever home the week before we were ready to adopt, but a new haul of dogs had come in just that week, too. DH and I let all the males out into the play yard. Several of them started running around and having a great time. One white and fawn boy chose to stand with me instead. As I started petting him, he leaned against my leg. We had found our dog.

Jed’s first weeks home were a learning experience for all of us, me, DH and Jed. Our adventures including carrying him out of the house three times a day for walkies because he was too scared to go out on his own and my panicked call to the adoption agency (which was also a vet’s office) because I thought Jed had some swelling from his neuter... while I was on the phone I realized that he was just glad to see me... :blush

Jed slowly learned how to be a pet. He learned that when we pet him, we didn’t want anything from him except to show him love. He learned that toys were for attacking, chewing, throwing and play-bowing. I’ll never forget the first time he played with a stuffy. It was on 9/11. DH and I were watching the news, I was crying, and then out of nowhere, Jed bounded through the air and pounced on a hedgehog. I always thought he realized DH and I needed something, and so he, as he would continue to do throughout his life, gave us a laugh.

We brought home Ripple 6 months after adopting Jed. She was the exact opposite from him, walking into our home like she owned the place. She was exactly what Jed needed. Ripple isn’t afraid of anything, and Jed would have followed her anywhere. They became a pair. There wasn’t one without the other. It was always Jed and Ripple.

Jed traveled with us all over the Southeast. He’s traveled to Atlanta, Asheville, Charlotte, the North GA mountains, the North Carolina beaches, West Virginia and South Carolina. One of my favorite trips with Jed and Ripple was to Athens, Ga, where I went to school. Walking around campus with my dogs is a memory I’ll always treasure. He was a first-class traveler, always enjoying new places and adapting to hotel-life. He even got used to riding in elevators.

All of our family loved Jed. From our young nieces and nephews, to DH’s 84-year old grandfather (who would crawl around on the floor saying “C’mere boy, c’mere”). There wasn’t much not to love about Jed. He was easy-going. As long as he had his bed, his toys and his Mama, he was happy. If you wanted to become his friend, you could buy his love with treats or ear-skritches.

Jed was my first dog. I loved him so much and I loved how he loved me. He was always in the same room I was in, watching me, those big brown eyes always following me. The cancer changed a lot about Jed, he stopped playing, he stopped enjoying walkies... at the end he even stopped enjoying food... but even when he was my hop-along Jed on 3 legs, he still followed me, he still had to be with me, my sweet boy.

Once we got the cancer diagnosis, my biggest fear became a broken leg. I am so thankful that we were able to avoid that. Friday evening our vet came out to the house and, when we were ready, we let Jed go. It was so peaceful. Jed was surrounded by me and DH. Ripple was there, too. He died with me stroking his head and telling him he was a good boy and that I loved him. I’m so thankful it was able to be that way. I’ll be grateful for that forever.

It’s so hard to believe that I won’t see him again. I keep looking for him. I didn’t want to get out of bed this morning and see his empty bed. Ripple, on the other hand, is doing great. She’s doing so much better than I thought she would. I know that as time passes this will get easier, but right now, it’s just so d@mn hard. My heart hurts and there’s a lump in my throat that won’t ease. I didn’t know I was capable of this many tears. I think I’ll feel better once Jed is back at home.

I love you, Mister Boy. I miss you so much it hurts. But I’m glad you’re not hurting anymore - the horrible cancer can’t hurt you anymore.

P.S. Jed: You always wondered how we knew it was you who got in the garbage. It was the coffee grounds in your teeth, Mr. Boy. They gave you away every time!

post-39-1228012530.jpg

post-39-1228012551.jpg

Edited by JedsMom

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The night sky seems so much brighter lately. Another star added to light the night..

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Jed.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry. :(

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest joedogs_mom

Our sweet Joe no doubt met your Jed at the bridge...we had to let Joe go on Tuesday night. Know that you are in my thoughts...we are kind of a mess but making it. Many hugs and my sympathies...

Laura

Sending warmest hugs.

Godspeed, handsome boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.