Thunder 6/2/94 - 11/22/08

CindyandThunder

Today I helped my beautiful Thunder go peacefully to the bridge.

I feel like I need to start at the beginning ... In May, 1999, I was approved to adopt a greyhound and I told my rep I wanted a BIG BLACK male as young as possible. They brought one on the home visit and he wanted to kill my sister's boston terrier. It was several weeks later that Katie Traxel called me to tell me about a cat safe dog available. He was male, and cat safe. But he was 5, all white with just a bit of fawn on his head/ears and tiny (raced at 68-70 lbs). I begrudgingly agreed to at least meet him, even though I knew he wasn't for me. I took my sister's dog with to make sure they would get along (I was living with my sis at the time) and after 5 seconds, "that dog" leaned on my leg and became my dog. It took literally 5 seconds for me to know that Thunder was meant to be my dog. My companion.

On June 12, 1999, just days after his 5th birthday, I adopted Showtime Thunder. Thunder was the perfect name for him as he was petrified of thunderstorms! Thunder was a little shy at first and didn't come out of his crate right away. After a while, he became more confident and joined us in the livingroom on his bed for naps and eventually on the couch and in bed. In his youth and even middle age, he was a roaching machine and LOVED to roll in the grass :) He spent more time upside down than right side up !

Thunder was a magnificant GPA embassadog and went on countless home visits, did hundreds of Meet and Greets and was an all around perfect hound. Sure, he ate anything, edible or not (plant bulbs, candy, burritos, peppermints) and sure, he would hog the bed even though it is a king size with plenty of room. And even though he was nothing that I thought I wanted, he was everything I needed. He's been with me through moves, boyfriends, countless fosters, the introduction of one brother, then another, my own medical issues, my first house and even introducing a cat into the family. Through it all, he's been my constant companion and my best friend.

As he aged, he lost some of that spark but none of his silliness. Right through to the end, he bought a smile to my face and a laugh to our household. In the last year, he stopped being able to see well and hear well and finally, stopped roaching, but never lost his ability to make me feel good and know that no matter what, he loved me, and I him.

In the end, my magnificant and stately Thunder was unable to navigate the hallway without tripping or bonking into the wall -- LSS had degrated my strong, handsome guy to a shadow of his former self. The weight slipped away, even though the appetite remained and through many, many tears, I decided it was time to ease his pain and help him to be at peace. On Saturday, November 22, 2008, my magnificant companion joined all those who went before him and is running with wild abandon through the tall grass chasing bunnies and playing with all of his friends who met him on the other side.

I will miss you always and never forget how you changed my life. The dogs I've saved, the lifelong friends I've made ... all because I took a chance and met that tiny, 5 year old boy. I love you, my Sundaro.

Thunderclose.jpg

Cindy Missing my Thunder... Copper and Cowboy

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

GPA-Wisconsin E-Bay Benefit Auctions

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Cindy, I am so sorry. I knew he was failing, but.........

Please know we are thinking of you Copper and Cowboy. Lots of hugs :grouphug

Godspeed Thunder! :gh_run You definitely were loved!

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest jettcricket

....sitting here with tears in my eyes sharing the loss of your most beautiful boy....I'm so sorry. I know my boy, Jett, was there to welcome Thunder into Paradise. :grouphug:gh_run

{{{{{{{{{{Cindy}}}}}}}}}}

Run with the wind, special boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug Cindy....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest K9_Lady

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he shall make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with the night and pay no worship to the garnish sun” 3323304019.jpg

:grouphug Cindy, I am sorry for your loss of your Handsome boy.

:weep :weep :weep What a beautiful tribute to your sweet boy.

I am terribly sorry. :cry1:grouphug :grouphug

:gh_run2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest GiJenn51

Cindy---

I'm so sorry that you had to do this with everything that you have going on. I know Thunder will be by your side with his spirit. I'm here if you need.

Run with our babies Thunder. I know they'll be there to help guide you. :gh_run

:weep :weep

:( I'm so sorry. Sounds like Thunder lived a long, full and happy life with you :grouphug .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Oh Cindy~I am so sorry. Godspeed handsome and precious Angel Thunder. I know he is running with our Angels forever young once more. :grouphug:f_white

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Loads and loads of hugs to you Cindy! :grouphug I'm so sorry!

Funny how the right hound makes it into our lives when we are just sure of what we want! (Guinness was supposed to be a female over the age of 6... he came to me male under the age of 2! :yikes And I wouldnt have it any other way!)

Godspeed Thunder! :kiss2

Godspeed Thunder! f_yellow You will always be a beautiful boy....

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I am so sorry. I feel like I have know Thunder forever. Your sweet boy is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind. Thank you for sharing his story.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds