Lucy At The Vet, Couldn't Walk This Morning

Early this morning, I heard Lucy get up from the dog bed and pace around. She then laid down next to the window in the bedroom, and I went back to sleep. When I rolled over this morning, she was back in her dog bed snoozing. I let the monkeys out, did a head count and realized Lucy wasn't there. I called her several times, no Lucy. Went back into the bedroom and said her name again, and she finally lifted her head and looked at me. I talked to her for a minute, and she finally got up very wobbly. She made it outside, but was very wobbly and disoriented, finally peed and walked very slowly back in and laid down once she got inside the door. I got her up and got her to the dog bed in the living room, where she laid down and didn't move. She panted all the way in from outside but stopped once she was down. When I tried to get her up again, she wouldn't even lift her head. I had to carry her to the car, and she couldn't even stand up to help me pick her up.

She is at the vets now, and we are waiting on test results. The vet asked me how her vision is, as her pupils were completely unresponsive to light. He said she wouldn't respond to anything except when he palpated her belly, she would squeak-but not in her usual drama queen way. Her gums are not as pink as they usually are, but the vet said they didn't indicate major bleeding anywhere. They are running the full gamut of tests including xrays to find out what is going on, but she doesn't seem to be in pain. She is just unresponsive. I'm supposed to call back at noon.

So the thoughts at the moment are:

stroke

major infection

back injury

kidney failure

or

?

Any other ideas?

If you could spare some good thoughts for my girl I'd appreciate it.

Update:

So we are home and settled.

morepiccies006.jpg

The vet still is uncertain what happened, but he did say when I brought her in this morning she was in such bad shape that he really didn't think she would make it through the day and thought she was a tough spunky girl.

Her bloodwork again looks great, her UA came back fine, her kidney values look great, her films looked normal. But, he put her on antibiotics and a steriod plus IV fluids, and sent antibiotics home with her. She isn't supposed to exert herself for the next couple of days.

The closest diagnoses he was willing to give was a Transient Ischemic Attack, and that her vision is still not that great, and it was definately something with the central nervous system. I'm not sure if that fits all her symptoms, since she didn't eat dinner last night but otherwise seemed fine.

We talked about the possibility of poison, but with good blood values and no vomiting or big d, it doesn't seem likely.

So whether it is TIA or an infection, she is home and I am so grateful.

Thank you for all your prayers, they obviously worked.

:bighug

Edited by fritofeet

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be so worried. I don't have any advice to give but I'm sending lots of good thoughts to Lucy. I hope your vet can diagnose her illness and get her on the path to healing quickly. Please keep us posted.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

:ohno Oh no, how scary!! :cry1 Sending lots of good thoughts! I hope they figure out what is causing this.

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck:candle

:grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sending prayers for your girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The receptionist I talked to wasn't extremely helpful and said they really didn't have any news yet. Current bloodwork is normal, and lithographs didn't show anything odd.

She did say she is moving her ears and will sometimes lift her head, so I think that's positive.