Hannah Has Gone Blind

Guest hannahmom

Guest 4baddogs

Wow, that's really sad and scary how quickly it came on. It is true, that animals adapt more easily than humans.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your baby.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh poor baby. I'm so sorry. I'm sure she'll adapt to her new situation, and thank goodness she's in good health otherwise... look how well Emmy did even without her sight, bless her heart. I see Judy has already jumped in with some great advice.

Sending hugs :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am so sorry. She's a stubborn girl...she'll adjust.

In the meantime, we will continue to send good thoughts and prayers.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

This will be emotional for both of you but I have faith that you will adapt well.

Years ago my pseudo-sister (meant nicely!) had two Italian Greyhounds that she was kind enough to loan to me frequently so I could get my doggie fix. They were my starter hounds. The younger one was born deaf. Since she always followed her big sister, that was never a huge issue for her. One year we woke up on December 26 to find that she had gone blind overnight. We were worried about this "poor" girl who was now deaf and blind. What we learned was that we were the ones that worried. Vera, the older IG was always by her side, and Sharky was fine for the years after that she was with us. It is a shock, but you will likely find that it is harder on you than on her. Try to follow her lead. You've got lots of good advice above on how to arrange the house, etc. so I have nothing to add. Just trust yourself and trust Hannah.

We just got back from the E vet

Hannah has SARD

http://www.eyecareforanimals.com/sard.php.

Onset was today - she could see fine @ 5:30 breakfast, couldn't see for a 10:30 walk

She has approx 20 % of vision left in 1 eye, the vet expects that to be gone in a week, and then my little poop disturber will be 100 % blind.

Other than her eyes, she really healthy.

I'm worried about the psychological impact

She did find the yard, went potty and came in for a drink by herself, so that's positive - right?

Prayers for my Monkey Girl as she learns to navigate through life without her sight

I just saw your thread, I'm so sorry. My dog Sheila had SARD, she jumped in the car and we left Las Vegas, by the time we got home she was blind. She could see light and dark out of one eye for about 9 months, then lost that, too. Your vet is right, she will suffer no pain from this at all, Sheila has never had a moment of pain.. There are some experimental treatments, but it has to be done almost after the loss of sight - if you are anywhere near Iowa State and can afford it, I'd call them ASAP. Here is a link to the article from 2007. The experimental treatment came much too late to be helpful for Sheila, the damage done by that time was permanent for her.

There are some websites that helped a lot. Owners of Blind Dogs, is a great Yahoo group with lot of experience and information, also Lantern Publications has great information as well. When it happened to Sheila I put essential oils low on the door jams, a different oil for each room, so she could learn to get around. I put a bell on Kobie's collar and I wore a bracelet with bells on it so she could hear me. She was depressed for a while, I realized that my crying wasn't helping her, so I had to give myself a kick in the ass to step it up to help her.

I think, though Hannah will be depressed for a while until she adjusts, it is more difficult psychologically for us. We don't "live in the moment" like they do, we remember what they were like when they could see and run carefree. She will be ok, she really will.

After her diagnosis we did do a Cushing's test to rule that out, fortunately she tested negative. She has been on an adrenal supplement since it happened in order to keep Cushing's at bay. She's on Drenatrophin PMG two tabs a day, I swear it has helped her recover and kept the Cushing's away.

After 2 years she is doing just fine. You'll have to get used to lots of nose prints around the house! Sheila uses her nose to gently guide her around, so she leaves juicy little prints all over, she still plays and loves to go for walks. She's just as willful on walks as she ever was, she doesn't let being blind stop her from wandering around. I bought her a Babble Ball so she could find it when playing, I've found that the taller squeaky plush toys are more helpful as she can find them easier by hitting them with her nose.

Please feel free to PM me if you have questions or need to talk about this. I do know exactly what you and Hannah are going through. My heart goes out to both of you. You'll both get through this, it just takes some adjusting.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I am sorry to hear about Hannah but I will tell you from experience with a dog who went blind, it made us even closer. She may rely on you a bit initially because she needs to get her bearings but in time she will be fine. As long as she knows she's safe and being loved, she will be happy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Tena, I have a couple of bottles of Drenatrophin PMG that I can send you along with the book if you would like. I bought them and started Emmy on them right away but have no use for them now.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Hugs and HAPPY thoughts to you all. :bighug

I love what someone said about doing something special to her every day. What a great idea. And, when Judy was going through this with Emmy, the idea of scent-marking corners and rooms just struck me as simple brilliance.

Best of luck to you all.

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest SoulsMom

I wish there was something we could do for you :grouphug The only experience I have with blind animals is a friends kitten who went blind after surgery. Watch out for corners, his kitty would get "stuck" in them and not be able to figure it out.

Guest jerrybird

I'm sorry to hear about your Hannah. All the above advice is good. www.blinddogs.com is a very good site as well. I wish that I had had this information when my grey lost vision from glaucoma.

Edited by jerrybird

Guest KennelMom

What a terrible shock :grouphug I think the humans always take it much harder than the dogs do...even the sighthounds don't rely on sight quite like humans do. They use their nose a lot more than we think they do (even the sighted hounds).

Hugs to you and Hannah....I know you will get through this together.

What a shock for you. :grouphug What a wonderful group of people there are here. So much knowledge and willingness to share. It is humbling so reassuring.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest argolola

Oh Tena, I'm so sorry this has happened. I will pray for your precious girl. As others have said, this will be harder for you to accept than it will for her. Greys are so resilient. She will be just fine.

I am so sorry. I see someone else has posted the link to blinddogs.com. Take a look at the summary of tips on there. Invaluable and very doable. There is also a link on that site to a Yahoo group.

I had two non-greys that went blind. It was really extraordinary how they compensated. Strangers had no idea they were blind!

It is really important that you stay upbeat for Hannah. Happy talk, and lots of it so she knows where you are. Smells, tactile stuff, bells on the other dogs, etc.

Good luck :bighug

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest AbbyGirl

OMG, I am so sorry and very speechless. I just got home from the GPAC Christmas party here in Yarmouth and decided to read some post here on greytalk and saw your post. I know I am a little far away but if you need someone to talk to feel free to get a hold of me.

Hugs from all of us. :bighug :bighug :bighug

Oh, no! This kind of news is hard to comprehend. I so hope Hannah adjusts well to the loss of sight. Sending prayers and white light for strength to you and Hannah.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

That's quite a shock, I'm very sorry to hear the news. Hannah has a good Mom who loves her, I believe that's the most important thing for getting through a diagnosis like this.

Sending many prayers to you both.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)