I Need Some Advice

Guest IrskasMom

No Advice ...... just Hugs for you and Emmy :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug Liverwurst is one

thing my Boy loves . If all else fails .... try to make a Ball around Pill.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest simile

We had a Cushings dog in rescue this last year and salmon was the key to getting his appetite revved up again. Sending all prayers and good thoughts your way, hoping that your little girl feels better soon!

Guest vahoundlover

Definitely get something for her tummy. We have had mornings where the only way Buster will take his pill is in butter, :wacko: usually braunsweigger will do the trick tho. I am not above fast food, and have used it several times in order to get Buster or Boss to eat. Chicken nuggets, chz burger and unsalted fries :chow

Guest greytlady

Sometimes meat baby food will kick start their appetite. You can get a syringe and squirt some in the side of their mouth. Warm it a bit so it smells better. I usually use chicken or turkey.

Good luck!

Guest VaGreymom

One of my girls is prone to tummy issues. We give her pepcid and I cook, chicken and rice and take a can of low sodium chicken broth and pour over the food. Jack Mac also works on occassion. Iwould even get her a plain McDonalds hamburger. The vet gave me can of Science Diet, and she lapped that right up. I forgot but I think it was Science Diet ID. I hope she feels better soon. Hugs to both of you.

Guest PiagetsMom

I feel so badly for you over there......I wish I could offer some advice, but I can't, so I send prayers and good thoughts your way :grouphug

Edited by PiagetsMom

Judy, I have been here too. Pearl was diagnosed with kidney disease shortly after Kia left. One of the side effects of the disease is nausea. She went a solid 2 weeks without eating anything but milk and Ensure. I thought I was going to have to let her go.

Finally, the Pepsid (10mg twice a day) kicked in and she started to eat again. Now she eats both meals everyday, is gaining back the few pounds she lost and begs for more food.

To look at her, you would never know she sick. I know how frustrating and scary it is to see them looking so frail. I found no matter how frustrated I was, the more calm and normal I could keep things, the better she did. She is a spook. Keeping things as she is used to them is very important for her.

Also went through this with Bones because of the antibiotic he is on. He is chow hound though. As soon as he had the first couple doses of Reglan and Pepsid, he started to eat again. Now, he is off both and doing very well.

Hang in there. I do know how you feel and it is not fun.

If Pepcid and/or Reglan don't work, Cerenia is probably the next thing to try. Expensive but works wonderfully.

We had two dogs who wouldn't eat. One who wouldn't eat for 2 weeks started eating after getting freeze-dried liver treats, of all things, and the other one started eating after getting pizza crusts. Once they started eating, it continued. Ya never know what will kick-start a poor appetite.

Hope Emmy starts eating soon.

Marcia in SC

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Is she getting enough water? If she isnt drinking much water either, you may ask the vet to teach you how to give sub-q (subcutaneous) injections of ringers solution. One of my cats has kidney failure and she gets 200cc's of ringers every other day. The dogs body will obsorb the fluid and may help her feel a little better. If nothing else, it will make sure she is not getting dehydrated which can add to the nausia and other unpleasant feelings which may be causing the lack of appatite.

My very, very picky girl will gobble up can CAT food. just alittle scoop in the regular dog kibble makes her salivate and eat!

the gas that is passed afterwards can strip wall paper, but it gets her to eat!!!

good luck!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Judy, I posted this a while back for someone else who was having trouble getting their sick pup to eat:

I can tell you that if no foods can tempt your pup, and you don't want to shove food down her throat, syringe-feeding is not as bad as you might fear. Your pharmacist can give you an oral syringe (cut the tip off to make the opening a tiny bit wider so it doesn't clog as easily), and you can puree the dogfood in a processor or blender with chicken broth until it's a nice smooth liquid. Then, one syringe-full at a time, slowly squirt the food into the side of her mouth, between her teeth. With Marla, once the liquid food hit her tongue, she started just licking and swallowing. I adjusted the speed of my syringe-plunging to accord with the speed of her swallowing. She didn't seem to mind being fed this way at all, even though there was no food left on earth that she would eat on her own.

The advantage I found to doing this rather than continuing to scour the earth for more novel foods for her to reject (after four weeks, you run out of ideas), was that this way I could return her to the consistent diet that worked well for her, and it cleared up the diarrhea she got from eating so much weird stuff all the time. The downside is that it is time consuming, and it takes a lot of syringe-fulls to equal the amount of food a dog must eat daily in order to maintain weight. Many small meals daily, is what I did.

I hope this helps. :goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest LindsaySF
Is she getting enough water? If she isnt drinking much water either, you may ask the vet to teach you how to give sub-q (subcutaneous) injections of ringers solution. One of my cats has kidney failure and she gets 200cc's of ringers every other day. The dogs body will obsorb the fluid and may help her feel a little better. If nothing else, it will make sure she is not getting dehydrated which can add to the nausia and other unpleasant feelings which may be causing the lack of appatite.

Good point. If she is dehydrated she will feel even worse. Maybe if she gets some fluid into her she'll perk up a bit.

Just saw your update. Keeping my fingers crossed for Emmy. Please, please start eating again sweetheart! Your mum is so worried :sad1

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Strained meat ham baby food. Chicken Scmicken, give me some ham! (it's been our appetite starter of choice here)

Ok, hoping all hopes that Emmy eats tonight.

Oh I hope it helps quickly!! :hope

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Just checking in to see how Emmy is doing

siggy%201.jpg

Miles October 4 2002-Novembre 19 2013 Mommy loves you big boy

Tatum December 1 2004-January 23 2015 Love you Miss SiSi Bums

Rowdy October 26 2001 -November 5 2015 Miss you Bébé Lou

meat baby food

canned cat food

liverwurst or braunschwiger

canned (or pre-packed) tuna, salmon, chicken

Deviled Ham

Vienna Sausages and/or hot dogs (also good for pills)

McDonald's cheeseburgers and fries

ice cream and mashed potatoes mixed together (someone suggested rice and ice cream, too)

oatmeal (micro or regular)

If Libby showed any interest in eating anything we were eating, we would just give up our meal. They lose weight so fast when they don't eat for several days and it's so hard not to panic. Pepcid helped her nausea and she ate better after getting it.

Good Luck!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I've been fighting the same battle. Morgan is on prilosec and sulcrafate. Last week when he refused all the other goodies mentioned, he would eat deli roast beef.

As your Vet suspects, it could be the medication causing it. Morgan was on an anti-biotic. We took him off and he started eating again about 36 hours later. He's still not a great eater, but much better than before.