Katie's Roooo-logy

Cynthia

Katie's body could no longer support her joy.

That’s what I told the neuro vet in April. He had no more cards to play, and neither did 4 other vets who had been wrestling with the neurological degeneration of Katie for over a year. No amount of vets or money or time could fix her though we tried absolutely everything. So for the last three months of the life that was Katie's, I ramped the drugs until it was clear they weren’t going to help anymore. If I didn’t set her free there was going to pain to pay. Her pain. On July 24th I swapped her pain for mine and let her go. I had the comfort of scheduling the appt the Sunday before, and watching her that week made it so clear that it was the right decision for my little girl.

I miss her rooing in my nostril at 3AM to go potty.

I miss our nonsense conversations any time at all. She could say 'please', and 'thank you', and 'I love you' and a hundred other things I never understood.

I miss the full tilt dancing and spinning and twirling of the healthy Katie that was in my life until April 07. Until the last 10 days, she still bounced in joy but just with the front legs and a grinning and bobbing face with mouth agape and eyes shining.

I miss kissing her back whenever I picked her up or set her down from the six daily trips up and down the stairs - my weight bearing exercise.

I even miss hearing poop bounce to the floor if I carried her through the kitchen a bit late for her schedule.

I miss watching fireflies with her in the middle of the night while the other dogs slept.

I miss watching her breathe and knowing she's there.

She was my confident and fearless girl. No one has ever dealt with illness like Katie did. She never failed to rally for a vet appointment and sometimes there were three a week in the 15 months of her illnesses. ‘My people! How I’ve missed you!’ was the message she sent with body language when she wobbled and tripped grinning and wiggling into any vet’s waiting room. Her physical therapy was no real help, but she loved the attention and the outings and peanut butter on a bully stick, so it was good for her bright little mind. The only time I ever saw her tuck her tail was when I set her in her custom wheelchair, so wishing it could help her move. Her tail tucked in so tight then that it nearly came out under her chin. Later it hung straight, not right for my curly tailed girl.

At her final appointment, we sat in the back of the HUV with gate open waiting for the last appt on a cool night in July. Katie oogling her head to see out, and me retracting so no one could see my trembling face. Pedestrian traffic couldn’t walk past her without a pet and a scritch and telling her she was beautiful. Katie was in heaven right then. It was her last party. When the vet left the room for the sedative to take effect I fed her hot dog bits and cookies and she said 'please' and I lost it. And then I lost her. Katie is twirling madly somewhere and I know I was lucky to have her for 3 years, 7 months and 5 days. I just miss her relentless JOY so much.

Hat covering shaved head...

269491341.jpg

Rooing at me last summer (with Monty & Dannie)

279590640.jpg

95302677.jpg

Night party!

101961263.jpg

Ready for an open house in the last months - bald body required summer wardrobe:)

317585838.jpg

Love you sweetie

104842239.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad :( .

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Rest in peace, Katie :heart.

:f_pinkf_yellow

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I am so sorry. She was a truly beautiful girl. Your Katie is at peace and pain free.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

<<<I miss kissing her back whenever I picked her up or set her down from the six daily trips

up and down the stairs - my weight bearing exercise. >>>

<<<I miss watching her breathe and knowing she's there.>>

So sorry for your loss :cry1

I too have been there and still cry for my Sprite,

I'd still be carring her if she had wanted to continue on.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

I am so sorry. :candle What a beautiful tribute to Katie, a beautiful girl. :grouphug

Godspeed Katie, run with joy, you and all the other angels. :gh_run

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I am so sorry. :cry1 She was much too young and much too special. I'm glad she had a chance at one last party in the HUV.

Godspeed Katie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry. All of our sympathy. She was a beautiful girl. f_yellow

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

:cry1 :cry1 Ay, Cynthia, here I am crying all over again. Katie was one special hound and she will be missed by all of us. :grouphug :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Ay, Cynthia, here I am crying all over again.

Me too. :weep

Never was a dog more well loved and cared for.

:grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."