Godspeed Train!

lovinggreysslp

I will never forget meeting our then foster boy Train. He was being returned after a 6 month stay due to chronic accidents which we were told lead to carpet removal. Train pranced into our home and went straight to the baby gate to join our hounds Larry and Clay. The family said that that was the happiest they had ever seen him. That tail hardly ever stopped wagging in our home and we were very quickly able to figure out that the simple act of leaving Train with my two hounds lead to no accidents, ever. He was placed in a couple more homes but each time bounced back to us due to accidents and assorted other "behaviors". My husband finally agreed that Train had picked his home and he became a permanent family member.

Train was the best meet and greet dog I have ever had. I do think his rabbit soft fur and sweet licks with full tail wags helped win many families over to adopting a greyhound.

Three weeks ago Train stopped eating well and was coughing (hacking). Full bloodwork was done, complete physical exam but nothing appeared to be wrong. We put him on aspirin and would bring him back if needed. A week later we went back because he was running a temperature, appetite had gotten better and then declined and cough was still heard. He also now had a swollen right leg (which I though was from a mad dash to chase a rabbit). The only thing abnormal at the vet visit was a rise in the white blood cell count. He was put on deramax and an antibiotic. Train acted better an hour after the deramax and appetite returned. We returned in another week to the vet and he was fever free, much less coughing, eating but less active. We discussed more bloodwork or chest xrays because vet was concerned about it being lyme disease or blastomycosis. We also discussed that blasto is very hard to document and we could run chest xrays and not find anything. So, because the coughing had decreased home we went with more pain meds and antibiotics. Just two days later, in the evening, Train started having trouble breathing (at 10pm) for a 5 minute period. We took him to our vet first thing in the morning, chest xray did find blasto, took him to the U of I emergency clinic, they put him in an oxygen tent, gave him all the medications they could to try to save him but very sadly his condition worsened with no hope of improvement so I helped him cross the bridge 48 hours after he had been admitted. I type this in hopes that the information helps someone who may be faced with this horrible disease. I made lots of mistakes and know that rehashing them does not do Train any good. Losing two of our original pack of three hounds within ten months is rough. I do hope though that this may someday help another greyhound family if they are going through this.

Run with Clay now Train!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How very sorry we are for the loss of your special boy Train. :brokenheart

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I'm so sorry for your loss of Train. It doesn't sound like you made any mistakes - you made all the right choices, the first one being his forever home. Godspeed Train. f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I don't think you made any mistakes. Blasto is a tough disease, hard to diagnose and hard to treat.

Sending lots of hugs for you and your family.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Pipi5

f_yellow:f_white:gh_run:f_whitef_yellow

I'm so sorry for your loss, but your story was so sweet. It sounds like Train knew what he wanted & how to get it....

Train, catch up to my blue boy Brogan, he was returned 4 times & I was his 5th & final family...ya'll can compare stories while laying on a big fluffy cloud.

I am sorry. I know your every emotion. We lost 3 of our babes in 14 months and our little Cody last April with Blasto. It is such a frustrating and nasty disease. I know our Angels play together at the Bridge. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was in the perfect home and was very happy there.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

My deepest condolences to you and your DH. :grouphug Train was happy in your home and a cherished family member. I'm glad he was a member of your pack. :) Godspeed, sweet boy... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm so sorry. You did the absolute best you could for Train and he was so very well loved. f_yellow

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16