Giorgio The Ig

Pippin

About 17 or 18 years ago, some friends got a call from a local shelter. There was an Italian Greyhound that needed a home. My friends worked with greyhound adoption, so the shelter contacted them.

Best guess was that the little boy was around a year old. My friends brought him home, named him Giorgio (George for short), and gave him the same care and attention they gave their other dogs. George grew into a sweet, affectionate mature iggy. When I first met my friends' iggies in 2003, he was my favorite (Ricky was still young and crazy, and George was over 10 by then). George liked nothing better than to nap in your lap. He would snuggle next to you in bed, but you had to be careful or he would crawl inside your nightshirt. :lol

He was the first IG I ever met, and because of him, I'm head over heels for senior iggies, and plan to always have one in my life.

Fast forward to 2007. George is getting old, and his eyes don't look right. They take him in to the vet, and it turns out he has glaucoma. The pressure on the optic nerve is making his eye bulge out. Vet schedules surgery for the next day. They take George home for the night, and bring him back in the morning. Overnight, his other eye is as bad as the first eye. Doc winds up removing both eyes. George moves into a bed in the kitchen. For the next year, my friends (and I, when I dogsit) carry George out into the backyard, and supervise him while he takes care of business. Sometimes he explores the entire yard, just using his nose.

Then we get to summer of 2008. George doesn't have the control he used to. He soils his bed, has problems walking, and no matter how much he eats, looks like he just got out of Auschwitz. It's time.

Yesterday, George went to the bridge. We knew it was coming, and we figured it would be this week. I had hoped that he would hold on another day, so I could be there with Dee (her DH is out of town this week). But I had to work yesterday, and there was no way I could get there in time after work

Doc says that George probably had some kind of brain trauma, there near the end, that affected his mobility. Knowing Doc, I'm sure she & Dee reminisced about some of George's follies and foibles, and I'm sure that Dee kissed George as he went to sleep, and told him he was a GOOD BOY, and that she would miss him.

And I'm confident that he's running around like a crazy man, full of vim and vigor and youth and vitality and seeing clearly with two new eyes, and that's really what I want for him.

Really, it IS.

But even so, I sit here and weep, because George is gone, and I'll miss him.

When I first met him, back in 2003:

16049616.jpg

In 2006:

73114284.jpg64255546.jpg

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Gentlest hugs to all who knew George. He was a special little love for sure.

Godspeed, little guy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My heartfelt sympathy to you and Dee for the loss of this precious soul. :grouphug He's now running free at the Bridge with no limitations. :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Run fast and free sweet little prince. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Iggies are so sweet! I had one many years ago.

I am so sorry for the loss of George.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Mary sending hugs to both you and Dee.

George, I thank you for giving Mary the IG bug, because of you we have Zoe in our lives.

Godspeed little man.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

George was a beauty and obviously a fighter as he hung on even when his body was failing him. Run free, run fast George and play with my bridge angels, especially Baby Jo who went away a year ago who also suffered from glaucoma and her body giving up.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:grouphug Please give Dee my sympathy :f_white

I sent her the link to this thread, so she could read everyone's comments. He was a special guy.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)