Greyhound Sitters

Guest embarkguru

Guest LindsaySF

My first time seeing this thread. :)

I am available to pet-sit Greyhounds in CT. Availability depends on the dates and what fosters I have at the time. I do have 2 cats, but I have the ability to segregate them from the dogs so the dogs do not have to be cat-friendly (I have a large house). I have a large fenced yard with double gates.

Looking for a sitter for Free to Run (greyhound) for early March,2010. We are looking to take a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale ( unless a better cruise deal comes up from the Miami port). My guess is that we will be leaving March 3 or 4th. Anyone available? I don't know if she is cat friendly, but she is very gentle.

Fair warning....She does love to steal husbands. (of the human kind)

Did you find a place for her? If not shoot me an email. I might be able to watch her depending on the dates. :)

~Lindsay~

Lindsay@weadoptgreyhounds.org

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bonscoby

This is a very good time to use the 'I am embarrassed icon. :blush

We will have Free to Run in Florida with us for Jan and Feb, so I will need someone who lives in Florida (Ft. Lauderdale area) around March 3rd or 4th to dog sit my husband stealer.....

Sorry I messed up on the last post.

Guest lat41065

Folks,

If you are like many of us who want…or have to travel without your GH during certain times of the year, and just cannot stand the thought of your precious being coup up in a kennel, but would prefer a nice GH friendly home, where you know your precious will maintain their pedestal lifestyle even though you are not with them, ……then, how about we start a posting here for willing GH sitters in a centralized location?

If interested, please list your location of city and state, along with your email address. I like the posting of dog parks, and go back to it quite often for reference. I would hope that this will help those of us looking for sitters.

UPDATED LISTING

CANADA

DarkHorse - Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Apartment sitting with four walks a day for washroom/exercise. Just two greyhounds so non cat/small animal safe is OK.

USA

ARIZONA

BlackandBrindle - NW Tucson

I have two non-small animal safe pups, so we can take anyone. There are no small critters here and we get walks almost every day. We do have a dog door and a fenced in yard (the gate is always padlocked).

Nursenearlyther - Gilbert, AZ

I do have 2 chihuahua's so small animal safe please! Shadow would love some company!

CALIFORNIA

Tricolorhounds - Fallbrook, CA

We have a security fenced yard and one in-door cat.

GEORGIA

JminAugustaGA – Augusta GA

My home is known as Camp Greyhound. I have 4 of my own and usually one or two fosters. Short notice ok. I live on the south side of Augusta, GA. Large fenced in back yard with locks on the gates. I have no cats. $12 per dog per night. Ask that you bring muzzle and each meal in a ziplock bag. References available. greykiss@aol.com

LOUISIANA

Andromeda - Shreveport Louisiana

I have three greys of my own and a large fenced in backyard. Email address sbledsoe4@hotmail.com

New Orleans Northshore

I have a small greyhound only boarding business.

www.greyhoundplayground.com

MICHIGAN

DaffyToons – Grand Rapids, Michigan

I have no small, furry creatures; but I do have birds (from large to small) who stay safely in their cages when I have greyhound "company". I have a huge, fenced-in yard (almost 2 acres); and the gates are all padlocked.

I would love to take care of your grey(s) while you are away! PM me for my email address.

NEW JERSEY

BasilMom- Toms River,N.J.

I have two greyhounds of my own. Feel free to contact me for rates and info.

NORTH CAROLINA

Charmsmom - Mebane, NC

I can board single greys, crated or not

OREGON

gracegirl - Beaverton, OR

I live in a townhouse so I could sit for one or two quiet and calm hounds. I have no kitties so non-cat safe is fine by us!

PENNSYLVANIA

D_MansMommy - I'm in PA about an hour north of Philadelphia

I only work part time (about four hours Mon-Fri) and have a fenced in yard. I do have two kitties so I can only sit cat safe greys.

TEXAS

Lanielovesgreys - Dallas

My door is always open to new grey friends. I do, however, have two kitties.

Kamsmom - Plano, TX

I would be willing to sit for one or two greys

WASHINGTON

Annepres - Mill Creek, WA

Is there anyone in CT that boards greys? - preferably the Stratford/Housatonic Valley area or the Hartford/Bradley Airport area. Please respond here or PM me with info, rates, etc.

Thanks!!!

-------

edits: whoops, I was reading this thread backward, just saw the recent post from LindsaySF regarding boarding in CT. :blush

Edited by LRay82

Guest bonscoby

I have details on my petsitting needs for Free to Run. We will need either a greyhound owner who will board the lovely Free or a good kennel. Of course we will pay for petsitting. The dates will be March 7- March 14th (2010), and we will need the person to be close to Port Canaveral, Florida. Please recommend. Also, if you know a dog friendly, cheap motel, we will need to stay in that area from March 1- March 6th.

I need a sitter for Phoenix and Treasure; approximate dates are Feb 11-22, 2010, though I may lengthen my trip by a couple of days. I live in Kitchener, Ontario and would be willing to pay of course, plus Chile has some pretty cool souvenirs :). Both hounds are small dog, cat, and kid safe, housebroken and pretty well behaved. Treasure is muzzled when I'm not home as she's still feeling her way around what is supposed to be good to eat.

OK, I have a sitter for Phene. My friend can't take both since her hound has some health issues. Treasure is cat safe, small dog safe and kid safe and she's a hoot! My trip is February 11 - 28.

thanks

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

WE have 4 greyhounds and live in Beverly, MA. They are older except our wild child who is rambunctious. If you are in the area and need a grey sitter let me know and see what we can work out. Marty marty-adams-desimone@comcast.net

This is a great idea!

Wilmington DE

We live in a 2 bedroom Apt but could watch a well behaved grey. We have 2 kittied and 2 greys, plus can give references of our previous spoiled guests. :rolleyes: jgeiger2006@gmail.com or 610-800-9693 All procedes will be donated to our greyhound rescue.

ETA Plus we are raw fed friendly or kibble we are flexible. :)

------

Jessica

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

If you are like many of us who want…or have to travel without your GH during certain times of the year, and just cannot stand the thought of your precious being coup up in a kennel, but would prefer a nice GH friendly home, where you know your precious will maintain their pedestal lifestyle even though you are not with them, ……then, how about we start a posting here for willing GH sitters in a centralized location?

If interested, please list your location of city and state, along with your email address. I like the posting of dog parks, and go back to it quite often for reference. I would hope that this will help those of us looking for sitters.

UPDATED LISTING

CANADA

Apartment sitting with four walks a day for washroom/exercise. Just two greyhounds so non cat/small animal safe is OK.

USA

ARIZONA

I have two non-small animal safe pups, so we can take anyone. There are no small critters here and we get walks almost every day. We do have a dog door and a fenced in yard (the gate is always padlocked).

I do have 2 chihuahua's so small animal safe please! Shadow would love some company!

CALIFORNIA

GEORGIA

My home is known as Camp Greyhound. I have 4 of my own and usually one or two fosters. Short notice ok. I live on the south side of Augusta, GA. Large fenced in back yard with locks on the gates. I have no cats. $12 per dog per night. Ask that you bring muzzle and each meal in a ziplock bag. References available. greykiss@aol.com

LOUISIANA

I have three greys of my own and a large fenced in backyard. Email address sbledsoe4@hotmail.com

MICHIGAN

I have no small, furry creatures; but I do have birds (from large to small) who stay safely in their cages when I have greyhound "company". I have a huge, fenced-in yard (almost 2 acres); and the gates are all padlocked.

I would love to take care of your grey(s) while you are away! PM me for my email address.

MINNESOTA

Minneapolis.... I have one grey gal. I live in a one bedroom apartment (so I could sit for someone who had a single grey). My place has easy access to two dog parks (within walking distance). I have made a facebook page for anyone interested in forming a little co-op greysitting group here in Minneapolis.... if you are on FB and want to check it out the email is spookymountainmonster@gmail.com or under the name Valen Brandon (that's my dog)..... thanks! :-) - Miranda

NEW JERSEY

NORTH CAROLINA

Charmsmom - Mebane, NC

OREGON

I live in a townhouse so I could sit for one or two quiet and calm hounds. I have no kitties so non-cat safe is fine by us!

PENNSYLVANIA

I only work part time (about four hours Mon-Fri) and have a fenced in yard. I do have two kitties so I can only sit cat safe greys.

TEXAS

Lanielovesgreys - Dallas

Kamsmom - Plano, TX

WASHINGTON

Guest my5hounds

BUFFALO, NEW YORK. Experienced greyhound owner and foster mom; lots of love, at home more often than not, 5 ft. chain link fence dog enclosure for pottying; no stairs, no cats, no children, have extra crates on hand if needed. References available. Short notice okay; $10.00 per day per dog - multiple dogs okay.

Edited by my5hounds

Guest Leonard

Folks,

UPDATED LISTING

CANADA

USA

ARIZONA

CALIFORNIA

GEORGIA

LOUISIANA

MASSACHUSETTS

Leonard - Natick, MA

I have 2 greys - a Galgo boy age 4, and a girl aged 7. Both are sweet and easy to take care of, and get along very well with other greys and people. We have a 1/2 acre fenced-in yard. I work out of my house so I'm with the pups all day. We are looking for families to share vacation time care -- we'll take care of your greys when you are on vacation and you take care of our greys when we are on vacation. len.wasserman@rcn.com

MICHIGAN

NEW JERSEY

NORTH CAROLINA

Charmsmom - Mebane, NC

OREGON

PENNSYLVANIA

TEXAS

Lanielovesgreys - Dallas

Kamsmom - Plano, TX

WASHINGTON

Edited by Leonard

Guest Leonard

Just an fyi...the Greysitting.com website doesn't appear to work. You must be registered to use the site and the registration process is broken (database error). The home page of the website says "please contact me if you have any problems" but there's no way to contact the site administrator. If anyone here is a registered member of greysitting.com, please let the admin know the registration process is down.

As a side note, I'm doing a "test" GH sitting this weekend. If it works (no allergic reaction), my husband and I will post up our info for availability as GH sitters. Could come in handy for the upcoming holiday seasons.

1/17/10 - I just tried going to greysitter.com

the website appears to be dead - I had the same database error and could not get past it

do you have any further information?

thanks!

Guest GreyFan09

If anyone knows of a good Greyhound sitter or a good kennel in the Chicagoland or South Chicago Suburbs, please let me know. We just had a inexperienced dog sitter come to our house on our last vacation, and it was a disaster. Thanks!

Guest my5hounds

Hi Robin. I live in the Buffalo, NY area and would be available to watch your hounds Feb 11 - 22, and if you lengthen your trip, that is no problem. I recently put a posting on this Greytalk board for houndsitting. You can email me at janl61957@aol.com. Thanks. Jan

I need a sitter for Phoenix and Treasure; approximate dates are Feb 11-22, 2010, though I may lengthen my trip by a couple of days. I live in Kitchener, Ontario and would be willing to pay of course, plus Chile has some pretty cool souvenirs :). Both hounds are small dog, cat, and kid safe, housebroken and pretty well behaved. Treasure is muzzled when I'm not home as she's still feeling her way around what is supposed to be good to eat.

i forwarded this link to redlady to make sure she sees it :).

Hello,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your greyhound loss. It's a terrible feeling, and I hope you're doing okay. If you're in need of a greyhound fix, we have a lovely greyhound in need of dogsitting. Our regular sitter's plans changed unexpectedly, and we're traveling Dec 19-27. I live near Rockford and would be happy to introduce Honey to your other dogs. My apologies for the last minute nature of this request.

Here are a few quick insights about Honey: She's a 5 year old sweetheart of a hound. Friendly with kids, good on stairs, terrific house manners. I've written a children's book about greyhounds, so she travels with me to schools (mostly here in Illinois) and is a remarkable spokesdog for greyhound adoption.

If you happen to have some greyhound sitting availability, here's my contact info:

Craig Pierce

815 757 5042

craigrpierce@gmail.com

cpierce@ideate-prairie.com

Many thanks for the consideration! All the best.

--Craig

There is www.greysitting.com and people can join to see grey sitters in their area.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Greyt_dog_lover

For anyone in the Chicagoland area, I highly recommend Dorothy (last name withheld). She currently fosters medical issue dogs for CIGA (Central Illinois Greyhound Adoption), has vast experience with greys to include medical needs. She has no critters, many race-track size crates (should your hound/s need crates), a doggie door and no stairs. She can accommodate as many hounds as you need, for as long as you need. She and her husband are retired, so your hounds will never be alone. She is the only one that watches my hounds when I need someone to watch them. She actually was my Bart's foster mom while his broken leg was being fixed/healing. I cannot recommend her enough, you will not find a more experienced greyhound person in the Chicagoland area. Her number is 630 420 2377. Let her know that "Chad" recommended her to you. The best part of this entire situation is all the money she charges to watch the hounds goes directly to CIGA, so you will be helping out the group (by the way, CIGA only takes broken leg and medical issue hounds so they can really use the extra money).

Thank you.

forgot to add location - She is in Naperville IL

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Guest GreyFan09

This is Greyt news! We will be looking for someone to watch Comet this coming June for a week. Thanks so much for posting this information. I will definately look into her!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

HAM HAVEN (20 miles west of Boston) exclusively for greyhounds. While you are away, I will take as good care of your greyhound as I do of my own grey. ( no small dogs or children, or cats and no crates here ) Your dog will enjoy the select company of other distinguished greys while living in my house. Every comfort provided - good beds and stuffed animals. Lots of attention, understanding and praise. Very suitable for sociable, well mannered greys who do not fancy kennel life.Special medical care if needed. Contact:

Phebeham@aol.com

Guest greymom

Hi,

We have an 8 year old female brindle named Claire who is a sweetheart :) We are heading to Atlanta at the beginning of May for our son's graduation from college and are looking for someone to care for Claire for 4 days. We live in Nashua, NH.

We can be reached at hdmccarty@comcast.net.

Thank you,

Holly & Don

Guest bluefawn

Hi All! I was following this thread - I am in NC, and I don't see anyone near me who is a gh sitter. I went to the greyhoundpetsitter.com website, and I also was unable to register. However, I found an email address and sent an inquiry to the administrator. She has several other active websites, so I hope to hear back from her before too long (the email did not bounce back - yet, anyway!). Will post a reply if/when I have one!

Hi Everyone - as you can see I'm new here, and we just adopted our very first greyhound 2 weeks ago. His name is Merlin and he's a little over 2yrs old. More on his general awesomeness and antics later, if anyone's interested ;-)...

I've been following this thread, and also twhitehouse's below on "boarding your greys", for info and suggestions re boarding and day care. My OH and I just learned that we need to attend a funeral in CT next week. Since we've only had our boy for a short time and weren't planning on going anywhere for a while, we hadn't yet made any arrangements for his care should we need to leave town. Fortunately, we think we've solved our immediate problem (whew), but now I feel some urgency to identify good options so that we're better prepared next time something comes up.

Like bluefawn, I also tried to register at greysitters.com, but found that the registration link is not functioning - from reading this board it seems to have been down for some time. Bluefawn, please do let us know if you get a response to your inquiry!

We're in the greater Boston area - I'd be grateful for any recommendations for overnight or day care in metro Boston or Metro West, or even further afield for overnights. Thanks in advance!

Edited by greygeek

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MadeItToTheMoon

My boyfriend and I live in Chicago (Wicker Park) with our greyhound, and we would be more than happy to dog sit for anyone! We don't have a yard at the moment, so our dog goes for about 4 walks a day. However, we'll be moving in June- and that building does have a yard :) Our boy is really sweet and social- he would love to have another greyhound around for a week or so!