I Really Need Some Help

I don't have any advice either. Just wanted to send you a hug.

:grouphug

We had to help our beloved 11 yr old whippet, Comet, to the Bridge only 4 days ago, so I am crying with you.

About a month or so ago, I started a thread in health and medical called "How Do I know When It is Time" and I received lots of good advice and input from members of GT. You may want to do a search for that thread and read all the great advice in there.

It's a terrible blow to be put in this situation. My heart aches for you and for your beautiful girl.

Here is the link to that thread. I just found it.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...785&hl=time

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love you all thank you and I have to sort this out for Asia and for our sanity, our hearts are shattereed, the future terrifying, we live our lives for our dogs.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Oh I'm so sorry. I know exactly how you are feeling right now. I got that news in May about my Jack. I also chose not to amputate. I didn't know what to expect and still don't really. I rushed out and bought everything I knew he loved and spent the next days giving him every possible treat. I thought I was going to lose him within the next week. It is July now and I sometimes can't believe he is really sick. he is on Tramadol and Meloxicam. He doesn't limp and he is not in pain. Twice now the muscles in the leg have cramped and he has tripodded for a couple days. But then he is back to his old self. There is no swelling. He is very happy and he is eating wonderfully well.

All this is to say you can only take each day as it is given to you. Control the pain and try to live as they do, in the moment. It is so hard but I don't know what tomorrow or next week will bring so I take joy in his beautiful face today. :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Oh I'm so sorry. I know exactly how you are feeling right now. I got that news in May about my Jack. I also chose not to amputate. I didn't know what to expect and still don't really. I rushed out and bought everything I knew he loved and spent the next days giving him every possible treat. I thought I was going to lose him within the next week. It is July now and I sometimes can't believe he is really sick. he is on Tramadol and Meloxicam. He doesn't limp and he is not in pain. Twice now the muscles in the leg have cramped and he has tripodded for a couple days. But then he is back to his old self. There is no swelling. He is very happy and he is eating wonderfully well.

All this is to say you can only take each day as it is given to you. Control the pain and try to live as they do, in the moment. It is so hard but I don't know what tomorrow or next week will bring so I take joy in his beautiful face today. :grouphug

Susan thank you for sharing and you have been fearing the worst for 2 months. I feel selfish worrying about how we are going to deal with this and yes they live in the moment an I thank god for that, at least he did the canine a favor in this respect. For us greyhound, dog, animal people to feel this pain shows our love and devotion and in my old age I have felt it many times, I fear this pain, I am proud too that I love my pets so much and can cry a river.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

I really feel for you and I know first hand what the journey you are traveling on is like. I have been down this road 3x.

Devotion was diagnosed on his 7th Bd and we only had 9 days together. His tumor grew so fast it was frightning.

Harbor...no warning. She broke her leg going down some steps by my pool and went to the bridge that night, she was 12.

Less than 2 weeks later, I lost my heart, Scooter to osteo. He was a couple weeks shy of 12 and lived one month from diagnosis.

I believe the most important thing is pain management. I always used several meds that worked well together. Tramadol, previcox work well. Neurontin seemed to help a little and then you have morphine if needed. I think this is key...stay ahead of the pain. talk to your vet about having it on hand, bc from my experience it can come on rapidly and intensify without much warning.

Remember Asia's alive today...and will be tomorrow. Enjoy the moments you have together. They live in the moment and none of us know how long they have or how long we have either.

Asia may do greyt! I pray for quality time for you together.

Take lots of pictures and make more memories. Live for today...that's all that's important for them.

Prayers for strength and wisdom for you during this time.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

No experience, and I wish I could say something that would help you breathe a sigh of relief. You and your beautiful girl will stay tucked in our prayers.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I really feel for you and I know first hand what the journey you are traveling on is like. I have been down this road 3x.

Devotion was diagnosed on his 7th Bd and we only had 9 days together. His tumor grew so fast it was frightning.

Harbor...no warning. She broke her leg going down some steps by my pool and went to the bridge that night, she was 12.

Less than 2 weeks later, I lost my heart, Scooter to osteo. He was a couple weeks shy of 12 and lived one month from diagnosis.

I believe the most important thing is pain management. I always used several meds that worked well together. Tramadol, previcox work well. Neurontin seemed to help a little and then you have morphine if needed. I think this is key...stay ahead of the pain. talk to your vet about having it on hand, bc from my experience it can come on rapidly and intensify without much warning.

Remember Asia's alive today...and will be tomorrow. Enjoy the moments you have together. They live in the moment and none of us know how long they have or how long we have either.

Asia may do greyt! I pray for quality time for you together.

Take lots of pictures and make more memories. Live for today...that's all that's important for them.

Prayers for strength and wisdom for you during this time.

omg 3 x's? the advice for pain management is what i need to know thank you. do you think I should still go to grapehounds next week? I want to experience good memories with her, again i so much wanted more for her, Darius took center stage and this was her time and it is taken away. I am not even over him. She is a truly fabulous dog, just as perfect as Darius I have been blessed.

I am sooooo sorry to see this.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Audrey, I would go ahead and go to grapehounds. You have been planning it and if Asia's doing ok especially just on rimadyl go make the memories!!!!! Do what's in your heart. I know the feeling though, it's like your brain becomes jello and it's hard to make sense out of anything!

Bless you both!

Pam

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest jettcricket

Oh, God...I'm so sorry. I dealing with this too....I've opted to treat my Cricket with chemo/radiation. She's also on Rimadyl and Tramadol for pain. Because her lesion is so high up on her hip and that fact that she's going to be 11 I chose not to amputate. Cricket is also a major drama queen. Even the radiologist told me that wouldn't amputate if Cricket where her dog.

It's horrible isn't it? It's such a sad, lonely time. I will send prayers and strength to you and your baby girl. :grouphug

I love you all thank you and I have to sort this out for Asia and for our sanity, our hearts are shattereed, the future terrifying, we live our lives for our dogs.

Yes, we do...they are our world and we are there's.

Guest Aggie94

I'm so sorry. I too was in your shoes. We had two months with our Zak after he was diagnosed. We managed him with pain meds. He was just 7. Take many pictures and love love love her. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Guest IrskasMom

Thou I dont know you Audrey but I feel your Pain ,having gone through this to. Lots of Hugs and Prayers for Asia and

you . I am so,so sorry ! :grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope:grouphug:grouphug:hope

Guest BlueCrab
Audrey, I would go ahead and go to grapehounds. You have been planning it and if Asia's doing ok especially just on rimadyl go make the memories!!!!! Do what's in your heart.

Audrey - no advice but keeping you, your family and Asia in my prayers. I echo Pam's comments above - please come to Grapehounds if Asia - and you - are up for it.

:grouphug

Oh Audrey, I am so very sorry to hear this diagnosis. I know exactly what you mean when you say Darius took center stage, and now was supposed to be Asia's turn... I lost Marla six weeks after losing Chancy. And both of them just a year after losing Sissy. I felt like Marla never had a chance to be as thoroughly spoiled as I wanted, as we'd only had her ten months, and most of that time I was very focused on Chancy's health issues. I had no idea Marla was even sick until it was too late. I feel robbed and horribly guilty at the same time. It's so so unspeakably unfair.

I'd say if Asia is not in great pain, you should go to Grapehounds. Especially if she likes car rides. What better way to share special moments with her than spend a lovely weekend together in & out of the car, sharing treats, and lounging in the sun at the gatherings? I had the same debate with Chancy last year. Her health was not good, and I agonized over whether I should bring her to Grapehounds. What won out in the end was that Chancy adored car rides, so what better way to give her special treatment than to go across the country in the car? For us, it was the right choice.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I am so, so, sorry that you are going through this. I lost my Scarlett to Osteo two weeks after the diagnosis. I scheduled the date with my vet when I received the diagnosis. Since I was able to let her go at home, he could have come sooner if I felt the time had come but that wasn't needed.

Those two weeks my girl got everything she wanted. I ordered in from a different place every night. She had everything she wanted. I took off her last day so that we could have that day together. All her favorite people came to say goodbye to her that day, as if she were truly a princess. We took her for a last walk in her park, with my friends strung across the intersection to hold back traffic. We all hugged her and kissed her and told her how loved she was. I held her as the vet administered the meds and just told her that I loved her with my whole heart and that she had made my life so very much better just by being a part of it.

Enjoy your love for whatever time you have left. You will know when the time has come and you will be strong. Asia has given you that.

For me, it felt as though I had ripped my heart out and that I had killed my very best friend but in some part of my heart I knew that I had done the right thing. I would say that you should believe that from the outset about yourself, you are giving her the gift of letting her go.

My heart is just breaking for you. It has been 4 1/2 years and I still cry over my lovely Scarlett.

Oh Audrey, I am so very sorry to hear this diagnosis. I know exactly what you mean when you say Darius took center stage, and now was supposed to be Asia's turn... I lost Marla six weeks after losing Chancy. And both of them just a year after losing Sissy. I felt like Marla never had a chance to be as thoroughly spoiled as I wanted, as we'd only had her ten months, and most of that time I was very focused on Chancy's health issues. I had no idea Marla was even sick until it was too late. I feel robbed and horribly guilty at the same time. It's so so unspeakably unfair.

I'd say if Asia is not in great pain, you should go to Grapehounds. Especially if she likes car rides. What better way to share special moments with her than spend a lovely weekend together in & out of the car, sharing treats, and lounging in the sun at the gatherings? I had the same debate with Chancy last year. Her health was not good, and I agonized over whether I should bring her to Grapehounds. What won out in the end was that Chancy adored car rides, so what better way to give her special treatment than to go across the country in the car? For us, it was the right choice.

Ami

Aimee you hit it on the head, and you are so right, the guilt and yes Asia is my "go places girl" she loves the car and going with me. Grapehounds was to always be the girl weekend, but Bob shoudl go this time and Cosmo (shusssssh) He will be undercover but we have to take him we don't trust anyone with him. she just lies here being cute and does not know anything is wrong. Bob and I will not cry on her, he is in the bathroom now I know he is crying. He is reading for the first time GT and he is truly touched by all of you.

Oh no! :ohno:cry1 I'm so sorry. I have no advice... I have not been through this... :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

My heart breaks for you and your family. I hope you have many special moments to treasure with your Asia. :grouphug

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

:weep :weep :weep :weep :bighug :bighug :bighug :bighug

When you didn't email today I was afraid of this.

Did they take xrays of her lungs?

Go to Grapehounds. Keep her quiet. Don't let her run around. Lift her out of the car.

Try to enjoy what time you have together.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho