I Really Need Some Help

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyChester

I am so incredibly sorry to hear this, Audrey. I'm sure you don't remember but we met you, Bob, and Asia for a GUR hand-off about 5 years ago. Asia is such a beautiful, spirited girl and I can only imagine how you are feeling. Take her to Grapehounds and have the time of your lives ... enjoy every moment to its fullest. Hugs to all of you :grouphug

Edited by LadyChester

Guest WarmheartedPups

I am so very sorry .....I too have been through it and there is nothing to take away that awful feeling you have.

Each dog goes through this at his own pace. I echo everyones thoughts about staying ahead of the pain, having drugs on hand....get some to take on your trip....just in case. Keep your pup from and big jumps.

You will get through this. It wont feel like it, but keep talking and writing.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

There are so many people here that know exactly what you are going through....so many people that care how you feel ....and we all want to help. Remember we are all here for you.

Audrey, I am so sorry. :grouphug:hope

There is just not an answer to the "how long" question, each case is different. With our boy Charlie, who we lost to osteo at age six, the time was very short. Amputation was not an option for Charlie either. Others have had more time, maybe even months instead of weeks. What I can tell you is to try to take on the here and now that Asia lives in. Asia only knows how she feels right now, she is blessed to not know the future. As her human mom you do know, but try to not let that knowledge take control. Be in the here and now with Asia and spoil her, take pictures, enjoy ice cream and burgers, be in today, not tomorrow or next week or next month. Because Asia only knows today, make today count. Be sure that you have advanced pain meds on hand for when she does need them, don't wait until she needs them. Tell her vet that you must be prepared for when the Rimadil doesn't work. I would request Tramadol and morphine now, it seems that invariably pain bears down at night both in dogs and people. Because you love Asia you will know when it is time to let her go in peace. Until then take one day at a time or even one hour at a time. My prayers are with Asia, you and Bob. :grouphug:hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

sending many prayers and good thoughts your way :sad1:sad1:hope:candle:hope:candle

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

My heart is breaking for you. :cry1 I've lost 3 to OS and it's a monster to deal with. As others have advised, get pain meds on hand for when she'll need more or a combination. I found Deramaxx or Rimadyl + tramadol to be good. Create happy memories, take lots of pictures, and spoil your baby girl rotten. Praying that you have MUCH more quality time with Asia. :hope:bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

... it seems that invariably pain bears down at night both in dogs and people...

This is very true. The hardest times are in the wee hours and invariably on Sundays when your vet will not be available. Try to keep well-stocked on pain meds & whatnot even if you don't need them yet.

Thinking of you tonight... :bighug

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest longdogs

I lost Nugget, the youngest and most lively of my greys, to the same thing. She too could not have taken amputation because her other leg had suffered a bad break. I think something like that is the only reason not to consider it though. It generally isn't anything like as painful as the condition it replaces and really it is pain relief as much as anything that makes it worth thinking about. I'm not convinced it makes a huge difference to life expectancy unless you are very fortunate because the cancer spreads so quickly. Another form of drastic but effective pain relief in the short/medium term is radiation treatment.

I'm sure you know it is a difficult thing you are facing. Good pain relief helps a great deal and there is really little point in holding back as some vets seem to. Once you move onto the really strong stuff and she starts to get dopey and unable to live a normal life though, you are already losing her and you will find the hard decision you must take becomes just a little easier. I'm sure you will know what I mean when the time comes. Meanwhile, I wish you the best time you can have with her.

Guest Vinnie

Our heart breaks for you and tears are flowing uncontrollably down my face as I read through all of this. Our first thoughts were oh no, they just lost Darius, this can't be happening. Unfortunately, no-one can tell you how much time. So many here find that magical combination that keeps the pain away so that their greyts can be happy and pain free for months and years others, like us unfortunately, find that we don't/didn't have enough time. Our Angel was diagnosed at 11 mos, we did the amputation and chemo and we let him go to The Bridge at 14 mos - Vinnie's was extremely aggressive though not to mention one of the youngest ever treated - which may have also played into the short time we had with him. But in that short time we lived each day to the fullest, he knew he was loved beyond a shadow of a doubt. The weekend before we took him to see friends and family and had a bbq at our house for him. We let him run and play a bit - nothing too crazy - and we made sure that he got lots of one on one time with each member in our house. Not a day goes by that we don't think of him or miss him but it is with pride as we hope that with the history he provided, maybe they can find something that clicks to help cure this horrible disease. He was in a few studies as he was young and we had access to many in his immediate bloodline to see if they could track something.

Go to Grapehounds, love on your beautiful girl, make wonderful memories as these are what you will need to help you through the roughest times. Know that we are all here for you to lean on when needed and that you will know when it is time to let her go. Make sure that you have the pain meds with you, something comfortable and familiar for her to sleep on and lots of treats and toys to keep the stress level down. We hope you are able to make many beautiful memories. Hugs to you both and please give Asia lots of scritches from us.

I'm so very sorry to hear about Asia, Audrey. I agree with everything above. Keep plenty of meds. on hand and use them liberally. Feed her and love her and tell her she is number 1 in your heart. Go to Grapehounds and make memories. I wish I had more words of comfort for you. We too live for our dogs. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Oh Audrey...........I can't belive this is happening to you. Our situation with Kia was different. The leg just broke, no warning at all. We either had to amputate or let her go. We didn't feel she was a candidate for amputation either, so we let her go.

I have no advice for you, but I know without a shadow of a doubt, you will do what is best for Asia. No matter how difficult that might be for you. I am so sorry for all you are going through.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest whatahound

I wish there was something I could say to make the pain go away. Make everyday special with Asia, and gentle hugs to you both. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I too am so sorry to read your news :(

Maddison had bone cancer (fibrosarcoma, not osteo) and he wasn't a candidate for amputation due to the location of the tumour. I think we had about 6 weeks after the final diagnosis before the we needed to make the call.

My only advice is for you to dry your tears now and really concentrate on having the most fantastic times - all full of love and treats and chicken and steak and ice cream and walks in nice places and fun with friends and of course lots and lots of pictures and video clips.

:grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

I'm without words as my heart is broken to hear of another precious grey going through this and another breaking heart of a mother. You are in my prayers.

Guest Redpack

When I read your first post, it could have been written by me in March. I wish I knew words to say to comfort you, but I don't think there are any. I had about 2 1/2 months with Diplomat after his diagnosis. Most days were good, some were not. I think the anit-inflammatory drugs were much more effective for his pain than the tramadol. He did not use his leg at all for the last 2 months and it swelled so that, at the end, there was a spot on his leg almost the size of a baseball. Then came the night that no amount of his pain relievers could help and I knew I couldn't let him hurt anymore.

I understand your feeling it was Asia's turn for the attention now that Darius is gone. I felt that I have more time to pay more attention to my dogs now that my skin kid is almost two....and now Diplomat, who was so very patient with the baby, is gone.

I hope you have many months of pain free time. Sending prayers for all of you.

Guest Greytminds

Sorry to hear about Asia. Words can not describe how bad we feel when we get such bad news. I know for myself when we lost Grace the hardest part was not having pictures of all the good times spent with her by my side. There was only one picture that a good friend had taken of her in a dog park event. When she heard I was searching for pictures she had it enlarged and brought it to me framed. It know sits on my mantel next to her earn. Not a day goes by that I dont look up at her.

As others said make those special memories with her and take lots of pictures.