Asking For Many Prayers

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's definitely losing her sight. The vet did a quick pressure check of her eyes and the pressure wasn't really high. He's kept her for the day to do a really good check of her. He will go over the test run over the weekend and do an exam himself to make sure an ultrasound is really necessary. So, all I know right now is that she has definitely lost her sight. :weep

Sending my prayers and hugs to both of you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so sorry, Judy. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and hoping that something can be done for her to help her regain some of her sight.

My thinking is that the other dogs will help her and maybe as she gets use to things, she will accept their help more willingly.

I had a cocker spaniel that lost her sight and hearing. I think it was harder on me than on her. She seemed to accept it and I encouraged her sense of smell as much as possible.

:bighug

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Guest LokisMom

I am sorry to read she has lost her sight. These guys adjust well and she will learn to live with it. It could be so much worse so I shall keep hoping that is all that is wrong. It's bad but not too bad. I am so sorry.

:grouphug

Guest FreddyZodiak

I know how scary this is from when I went through it with Freddy. I hope that there is a treatment option that will work for her as well!

Some tips that I got on here at the time were to use scented air fresheners at key locations in the house. Use a different scent for each special location (top of stairs, food, door to outside, etc.) and she will learn that which scent is at each location. Also, carry a bell with you so she knows where you are. (I even put a bell on Zodiak so he would know where she was).

I was amazed at how brave Freddy was when he went through this. When I realized he was blind it was similar to what you experienced. I let the dogs out and he was really slow to go out and he had his nose right near the ground, which was odd, but he slowly made his way down the hall, down the stairs, to the back door and down the back steps. When I called him in, he kept bumping into the bushes in the yard and had difficulty finding the deck stairs... I knew right away something was wrong with his sight. I then got the dogs and took them for a walk to see how he would do and get a better idea of how bad things were... he was tripping on snow banks and moving side to side... so I held him really close to me but he trusted me and walked the whole way!

I hope that something I have said will help and that she will get her sight back... sending lots of hugs!!!

Thinking of Emmy this morning and keeping her in our prayers.She's got the best mom ever, so I just know she'll be okay!! She couldn't be in better hands

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest PhillyPups

Many hugs and prayers continuing for you. I would let Andy be her "seeing eye dog" as they has such a special bond, let them out together, put a bell or something jingley on his collar so she can hear him, it is a lot more workable than the dreaded "C" would be.

:grouphug to you!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Sending more hugs and prayers

siggy%201.jpg

Miles October 4 2002-Novembre 19 2013 Mommy loves you big boy

Tatum December 1 2004-January 23 2015 Love you Miss SiSi Bums

Rowdy October 26 2001 -November 5 2015 Miss you Bébé Lou

North Dakota good thoughts coming Emmy's way . . . . now that you know *what* it is, the *what can we do about it?* comes next, so progress has been made.

An ear scritch to my sweet standing-on-top-in-her-no-longer-there crate Emmy!

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Guest KyGrey

Judy, I'm sorry about Emmy. Like someone above said she will have plenty of other dogs to guide her and also the humans. I just hope it's nothing other than the loss of sight. Sending hugs and good wishes from Louisville.

Guest bonscoby

Just reading this and sending hugs and prayers. I had an Afghan hound who lost his sight and learned the entire house by heart....I never would have guessed that he was totally blind...I hope the vet can do something about Emmy's sight...

Guest Hannah

:grouphug hugs for you all Ive never owned a blind animal but have looked after and met several and they all seem to adapt very easily and quickly.

I was going to say that the bells sounded like a good idea, until I realised that if you put a bell on everyone you mike would also need ear plugs :lol maybe you could get her a blind ball? its got a switch or something in it so it makes a noise all the time so blind people/dogs can work out where it is.

Guest Winterwish

I'm so sorry to read Emmy is having such difficulties Judy. :grouphug Sending many prayers and good thoughts for Emmy and that the ultrasound will show hopeful news. :hope:hope

Just seeing this now :grouphug:hope:grouphug

Me too. I will keep your sweet girl in my prayers.

:grouphug:hope

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest neenieca

Many, many hugs for your family and sweet Emmy.

ETA: Oops, hit "enter" too soon. Wanted to add that she must be feeling very confused right now, but I think she's got just the right family to help her through this. My best to all of you.

Edited by neenieca

Guest KennelMom

I'm just seeing this :( Sending lots of prayers to you and Emmy :grouphug:hope

When I found out that Hanna had lost her sight, I definitely took it a lot harder than she did. Since then, we've learned how to help her a bit more (even though she's handled it well and really doesn't need a ton of help). We use our voice to help guide her...have taught her some key words...but otherwise, no one would really know Hanna was blind watching her in the house or the yard. Their sense of smell and ability to mentally map their environment is amazing.