What Brand Of Dog Food Do You Feed Your Greyhounds - Revisited

Guest PaulaMC

Updated Dog Food Poll  

559 members have voted

1. 1. What brands of dry dog food do you buy?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Kibbles N Bits
    • Kirkland
    • Nutro
    • Pedigree
    • Pro Plan
    • Purina
    • Royal Canin
    • Wellness
    • Solid Gold
    • Chicken Soup for the Soul
    • Raw / BARF
  2. 2. What brands of canned food do you buy for mix-ins?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Mixables
    • Nutro
    • Natural Balance
    • Pedigree
    • Purina
    • Kirkland
    • Pro Plan
    • Royal Canin
    • Solid Gold
    • Wellness
    • Other
  3. 3. What kinds of dog treats do you buy?

• Jerky Treats
    • Dog Biscuits - any kind
    • Beggin Strips
    • Rawhide Chews or strips
    • Pigs Ears or snouts
    • Greenies
    • Denta bone or stix
    • Snausages
    • Real bones
    • Marobone
    • Hooves or antlers
    • Homemade dog biscuits
    • Other

Guest eaglflyt

We're transitioning our girl to Acana (Pacifica). So far, so good. She has done great on Blue Buffalo, previously. Neither are listed.

Edited by eaglflyt

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GrayceNDanger

We feed our pups Flint River Ranch Fish and Chips. Both dogs love it and do well with it. Plus they ship right to my front door automatically each month-so convenient!

• 4 months later...
Guest caliebsmom

I chose raw/barf but what we really feed Honest Kitchen's Preference with various proteins. So far it is working really well for Calieb. We do not mix in any canned food but do add their Perfect Form supplement, flax oil and yogurt.

Edited by caliebsmom

• 3 weeks later...
Guest barkdogs

Acana dry. Also: green tripe, course ground, makes tripet smell like a bouquet of roses, trust me. Also chicken feet, turkey necks, chicken necks, home pressure cooked chickens mixed with veggie goop mixed with one or more of the following: eggs, raw beef heart, raw beef kidney. I just got a whole sheep delivered (grass fed, came to $2.50 a pound) so we'll be having mutton for a while. Occasional canned, usually if I am traveling with them, or have been super busy and do not have a chance to cook, or if I am lazy. Or sometimes because they enjoy it for a treat.

Room mate buys them treats-nice ones with blueberries in.

Guest xshivax

Acana dry. Also: green tripe, course ground, makes tripet smell like a bouquet of roses, trust me. Also chicken feet, turkey necks, chicken necks, home pressure cooked chickens mixed with veggie goop mixed with one or more of the following: eggs, raw beef heart, raw beef kidney. I just got a whole sheep delivered (grass fed, came to $2.50 a pound) so we'll be having mutton for a while. Occasional canned, usually if I am traveling with them, or have been super busy and do not have a chance to cook, or if I am lazy. Or sometimes because they enjoy it for a treat.

Room mate buys them treats-nice ones with blueberries in.

Yikes.... I can't get this site ot let me type in the dialog box. Sigh.

I feed my two boys Nature's Variety Prairie dry dog food and mix in a

spoonful of Innova canned dog food. The Prairie has 5 different formulas

so you can switch them up. My dogs stools are firmer on a kibble that

has rice in it instead of potatoes.

Edited by xshivax

Guest sheila1

With the recent issues in pet foods, I was curious to see the shift in what people are feeding their dogs. I found it very helpful when I first joined greytalk to read this poll. I imagine that views have changed and I'd like to see what everyone is doing now for their dogs. Thank you for participating and sharing your knowledge and experience with everyone.

The previous poll was initiated in October of 2005.

I have three boys: George, Billy and Eddie (ex-foster :).

They eat TOTW (might switch) and Natural Balance. I didn't see either as an option for kibble on the poll?

Guest bwgreen

It seems I can't vote as I don't use a canned food at all. We use Nutro Natural Selection Chicken Oatmeal Rice kibble - we've had Daisy less than a week, and this is what she was getting at the adoption home. For treats we have a box of MilkBones (from Costco) - we also have Pedigree DentaStix, but so far she doesn't seem to want those.

Brian

Guest amandagal

My adoption group feeds Kirkland's, but it's a 4 hour drive to the nearest Costco, so I feed Solid Gold. It's what I feed my last dog (Dalmatian) and he made it almost 15 years. Solid Gold's ingredients looks similar, though more expensive, to Kirklands.

She also gets a scoop of yogurt, fish oil and treats. I do bake dog treats, occasionally, but mostly I'm too lazy.

She likes ice cream too. I give her a little bowl whenever I have it, which has been more than normal with the 100+ temps here in Arkansas. I am keeping an eye on her weight though (and mine, hehe). She goes after it like a maniac, and eats huge bites at a time...I don't know how she can stand the brain freeze (my mother says she's a dumb blonde and has no brain to freeze :-).

Edited by amandagal

Guest Dinabird

Kay is ten yrs old and loves all sorts of food. Her basis is a mix of Innova Senior and Evo bites. I mix in a variety of stuff, mushroom soup, chicken and rice soup, whatever soup is on sale at the discount grocery store. Or ravolie, spagatti, alpo, pedigree or other chicken - she dosn't like beef so well. Everyday she gets either raw frozen chicken, or a whole frozen cornish hen from the same store. She also gets a raw beef rib that the butcher cuts for me with as much meat as possible on it. And when she does what she is told or pees on command she gets a bread outlet peanut butter or molassas cookie! She especially loves molassas. I add a spoon or two of olive oil every day and plain yogert once a week or so. She eats about 4 cups of the basic plus a can of the mixin in a 24 hour period (I just put it out there around noon everyday)and she seems quite happy. She is smallish, 60lbs with the three ribs showing but the vet says she is perfect for her age. And that is my two bits worth :)

Guest Fluffy

Badger started out on Kirkland, but his coat got dull and his poops squishy, so now he eats TOTW High Prairie, with a beautifully shiny coat to show for it. He gets yogurt mixed into each meal, and up until the pumpkin shortage hit, he was getting a large glop of pumpkin in every meal too, but since we can't find pumpkin now and he's reverting to squishy poop, I am considering a switch the the Pacific Stream flavor of TOTW, which is supposed to make for firmer poops.

He's never really gotten canned food, although I just recently received a bunch of small cans of various brands as samples and am mixing those into his meals in tiny portions (right now I think it's Innova lamb stew, and the small tuna-can sized portion is going to last him probably 4 meals). He was a bit taken aback the first time, but seems to have concluded that they're edible.

Treats, I started out with the best intentions but am slowly allowing him to pick his own treats, even if they're made of chicken lips and cow butts. We started with Mother Hubbard biscuits and Bil-Jac liver treats, both of which he likes ok, but Pupperoni and Pedigree Marro-Bones have started to invade the house now. He also gets the occasional pig's ear or cow trachea. He had a pressed rawhide bone once, which he liked but which gave him the most vile poops imaginable to mankind, so I don't think I'll be doing that again. The only other things I absolutely will not allow are cooked bones (dangerous) and bully sticks (they emit the stench of a thousand deaths going IN, I can only imagine the horror they would be coming OUT).

Guest sirsmom

Since I've replied to this poll before, we have changed foods yet again. The 2 previous foods we were on have changed ingredients and the dogs never did adjust so now we have gone to a mix of Science Diet and Purina One Sensitive Systems and will eventually go all Purina One.

Guest rachel2025

New food here too, since I last replied. Blue Buffalo Basics has FINALLY cleared up Pike's loose poops! And he loves it, to boot. We buy the turkey flavor.

For treats, having lots of luck with Stella & Chewy's Carnivore kisses.

Guest Elaine

With the recent issues in pet foods, I was curious to see the shift in what people are feeding their dogs. I found it very helpful when I first joined greytalk to read this poll. I imagine that views have changed and I'd like to see what everyone is doing now for their dogs. Thank you for participating and sharing your knowledge and experience with everyone.

The previous poll was initiated in October of 2005.

The dry foods I am currently feeding are Diamond Naturals, beef or chicken (lamb increases gas production), and we were giving 500 lbs of Natures Select. Neither food is listed so I selected Kirkland, guessing that may be close.

For mixing in, my choices were given, Alpo & Pedigree, however, please include table scraps under "Other".

Elaine @ DM Greyhounds

http://www.dmgreyhounds.net

Guest ChicagoCanine

I didn't see my food on the list, so I put raw. I use a mix of Nature's Variety Instinct and raw. For treats I like Ziwipeak and Stella and Chewies freeze-dried raw, but I also use jerky treats sometimes.

• 2 months later...
Guest Celestrina

We use Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison dry and canned. We tried other foods and they gave her the big "D". Our vet recommended NB and immediately we noticed a difference.

Bella came to us on Pro Plan but didn't like to eat the "shredded chicken" chunks until she was really hungry. We switched to Nutro, then Nutro Ultra and now Earthborn Holistic. She's getting dry, flaky skin and scratching a lot recently and instead of supplementing with salmon oil (which tends to make her poops loose), I'd rather give her a kibble that's solving the problem.

Thinking of Canidae since it seems to have higher levels of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids than many of the others out there (TOTW, Blue Buffalo, Diamond, etc). I will note that she seemed to be doing perfectly fine on the Nutro foods until I started reading more about higher quality ingredients on GT :lol

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

I don't add canned food, so I chose 'other'.

All my dogs have been on Kirklands Lamb & Rice for a long time.

The GSD is 14 and the Pointer is 11.

When Mr Nixon arrived I hope he'd do fine on it, and sure enough he's thriving.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Tic_Tac

I recently switched (a little over a month ago) from ProPlan Lamb and Rice to Nutro Lamb and Rice. I mix in a very small amount of Vita-Gravy or Nutro wet Lamb and Rice. The change in gassiness and stool has been dramatic. Very happy with the digestion of the Nutro, but I do have to mask it in gravy or wet food to get her to eat all of it(she was like this with ProPlan too, though.) I treat her with Blue Buffalo treats, natural bones, bully sticks, or dried jerky (usually chicken) as I think she may have a wheat allergy.

• 2 weeks later...

I fed Canidae for several years along with cooked veggies and chicken or turkey for my girls. About 3 months ago I started fostering a 4 year old seizure boy and our vet demanded that we restrict food to cooked beef, veggies and Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison dry. The transition caused no upset and now both dogs are doing awesome on this regimen and poop looks like poop should!

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

I feed Iams to the girls topped off with cooked chicken sans fat and bones. They love it, their coats are great and they just about knock me off my feet at meal time. We don't do a lot of treats but Milk Bones are welcome by all but my new girlie; she had 23 teeth pulled just before she came to me :brushteeth :brushteeth and she will be only 8 tomorrow :b-day She is my Angel girlie and lives up to her name :angel and although she has only been with me for less than a month I love her so much :heart

june

• 1 month later...