What Brand Of Dog Food Do You Feed Your Greyhounds - Revisited

Guest PaulaMC

Updated Dog Food Poll  

559 members have voted

1. 1. What brands of dry dog food do you buy?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Kibbles N Bits
    • Kirkland
    • Nutro
    • Pedigree
    • Pro Plan
    • Purina
    • Royal Canin
    • Wellness
    • Solid Gold
    • Chicken Soup for the Soul
    • Raw / BARF
  2. 2. What brands of canned food do you buy for mix-ins?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Mixables
    • Nutro
    • Natural Balance
    • Pedigree
    • Purina
    • Kirkland
    • Pro Plan
    • Royal Canin
    • Solid Gold
    • Wellness
    • Other
  3. 3. What kinds of dog treats do you buy?

• Jerky Treats
    • Dog Biscuits - any kind
    • Beggin Strips
    • Rawhide Chews or strips
    • Pigs Ears or snouts
    • Greenies
    • Denta bone or stix
    • Snausages
    • Real bones
    • Marobone
    • Hooves or antlers
    • Homemade dog biscuits
    • Other

Guest Capslock

I feed Canidae kibble and mix in a couple scoops of cottage cheese. And for treats I use Iams biscuits and the little discs of dried chicken, which are too expensive but they love 'em! This mix was the only combination I've found that really agrees well with my Otis' stomach.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently switched to California Natural for two of my dogs, Bella and Keeva. They have done very well on it. Valor gets Innova Evo as he is getting old and needs the extra calories and protein. I add in yogurt, green beans, cottage cheese and Prozyme. Pumpkin for BElla.

Linda, VAlor, Keeva and Bella

Guest goofydog

Get Em eats dry Kirklands in the AM and at night I mix in yogurt, warm water and fish oil caps. Treats are chicken jerky, mini carrots, green beans and BilJac liver treats.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't vote.... :blink:

Have used Nutro Lamb & Rice for all our greys for over 10 years BUT my greys (both 9 years YOUNG) have been turning their noses up at it for the past two weeks. My "eat anything" boy refused breakfast entirely a couple of mornings. Oh I can "entice" them to eat with additives, but I've been concerned with what's going on at Nutro. (Company being sold, them having problems with getting their lamb or losing their supplier--whichever story you believe).

I searched for a premium kibble that I could conveniently pick up near my home. Eagle Pack was my first choice but was harder to find. So this weekend I bought Blue Buffalo and began the gradual switch. I've started with the Senior chicken and brown rice (18% protein & 8% fat) but plan to also use the fish & sweet potato formula (22% protein & 12% fat) --just as a way to change the protein source. (Nutro Lamb & Rice was 21% protein and 12% fat).

Has anyone else transitioned from Nutro to Blue Buffalo?

Your experiences--good or bad--are appreciated.

Edited by JoyceJ

Guest hattiepumpkin

Joyce.

We switched our Grey over from Nutro to Blue Buff about 6 to 8 months ago. With the Nutro she had soft, weird colored stool, as well as a brittle coat. At first with the Blue Buff she wasn't a fan of the "life bits", however now she DEVOURS them. (we moved from regular chicken to senior chicken because she goes bananas with that much protein). On both she has had perfect stool, but recently (within the last month) she has become quite gassy. We have heard that it is typical for Greys to have gas, but it has been so frequent that we have taken to calling her "stink-butt". Overall we have been very pleased with Blue Buff, but the gas has us considering a switch to either Eagle pack, or Taste of the Wild. It appears people have had a lot of luck with those also.

Guest NewGreyOwner

Our guy gets a mixture of Solid Gold Millennia and a higher fiber kibble we get from the vet. To the dry food, we mix in either boiled chiciken/ground beef with rice or noodles and chicken broth. And we always add a scoop of pumpkin. It's a lot of work, but Connor's loving it so far and it's helped his stools immensely. He loves Milkbone dog biscuits, chicken jerky and duck/sweet potato jerky treats. We've also just discovered the freeze-dried beef liver. But his favorite is treat is cut up pieces of boiled chicken breast. He's WAY spoiled! : )

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BooBooMama
Didn't vote.... :blink:

Have used Nutro Lamb & Rice for all our greys for over 10 years BUT my greys (both 9 years YOUNG) have been turning their noses up at it for the past two weeks. My "eat anything" boy refused breakfast entirely a couple of mornings. Oh I can "entice" them to eat with additives, but I've been concerned with what's going on at Nutro. (Company being sold, them having problems with getting their lamb or losing their supplier--whichever story you believe).

I searched for a premium kibble that I could conveniently pick up near my home. Eagle Pack was my first choice but was harder to find. So this weekend I bought Blue Buffalo and began the gradual switch. I've started with the Senior chicken and brown rice (18% protein & 8% fat) but plan to also use the fish & sweet potato formula (22% protein & 12% fat) --just as a way to change the protein source. (Nutro Lamb & Rice was 21% protein and 12% fat).

Has anyone else transitioned from Nutro to Blue Buffalo?

Your experiences--good or bad--are appreciated.

Dr Stack says that we shouldn't put our Older Greyhounds the lower protein "senior" dog foods. With older greyhounds, we're usually trying to keep weight on the them, not off them. Low protein diets may cause muscle wasting and weight loss.

Check out her website- very informative:

http://www.greythealth.com

[Dr Stack says that we shouldn't put our Older Greyhounds the lower protein "senior" dog foods. With older greyhounds, we're usually trying to keep weight on the them, not off them. Low protein diets may cause muscle wasting and weight loss.

Check out her website- very informative:

http://www.greythealth.com

Glad to see Dr Stack's website is back up and running again. It wasn't a couple of weeks ago.

So far I'm very satisfied with the BB Fish & Sweet potato--that one is NOT the Senior formula and is equivelent to the Nutro as far as protein and fat percentages.

I have found with these furkids, higher protein levels causes upset tummies

What do you feed?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest thedoghouse

I tend to chop & change a bit to give Max & Molly a bit of variety & take advantage of any good deals. I feed only dry food at meal times (which are twice a day), moistened with a little warm water to make some gravy. At the moment I'm using Chappie, which is cheap & easily digestible (a MUST for our Max, who seems to have a very delicate gut). I've also used James Wellbeloved (I liked the large kibble size of this), Eukanuba & Supadog Sensitive. I occasionally mix in a little oily fish or fresh chicken with the dry food as a treat. If either of my dogs have an upset tummy I mix in some probiotic yoghurt.

Treats-wise, the one thing I consistently give my 2 is Hi-Life dental chews. (Does anyone know where you can buy these in bulk by the way? Coz buying jars pf 12-14 chews at £3-4 per jar & feeding 1 each a day is working out fairly expensive!) I always have some plainish dry biscuits on the go as well. For recall treats though I always go for either cooked sausages, parmesan rind or homebaked liver 'brownies' (the only thing our Molly will come back for!).

California Natural kibble (made by same makers of Innova and EVO). Comes in 3 flavors (chicken & bown rice, lamb & brown rice or herring & sweet potatoe)- I rotate. This is a limited ingredient food - great for sensitive tummies! Also used for dogs with allergies. Contains no corn. No by-produts. I used to use Nutro but one of my hounds threw up 1-2 times a week. Seems the corn was too much for his system. The pet store told me Nutro had changed their formula and started using inferior ingredients. My female got extremely sick from a bad batch of the lamb. She had prolonged diarrhea which required antibiotics, two vet visits and a month on prescription food. So I started doing some research on other foods. Since switching one year ago, he has not thrown up since and my female has not had any diarrhea. It has sunflower oil in it too. Makes my black hound's coat shine. Less shedding too. This is their primary diet. They actually eat less per day because it is a nutrient dense food (fills them up). A 30# bag lasts about 3 weeks feeding a male and female. Best of all - no gas!

Once a week I also supplement with Merrick canned, Merrick or Innova dry as a treat (about one cup) and some raw and yogurt.

My hounds eat better than I do!

Edited by Deb

Guest graziella

My guys were on Canidea All Life Stages for a year, then the formula changed because suddenly they started having the WORST flatulence I've ever smelled out of them.

I then went on a new dog food hunt and learned about Flint River Ranch dog food. Their company is far superior than anything else I encountered on the market AND they even ship directly to the consumer! They don't use preservatives in their food, their chicken meal and other meat sources do not contain poultry by-products or other by-products like chicken feet, chicken heads, duck heads, beaks, feathers, fish heads, hides, hoofs and intestines. There are no breakfast food by-products, corn, cottonseed, corn cobs, citrus pulp, soy beans, fillers, and no screening or other foreign materials such as noxious weeds, straw, hulls or chaff in our product.

Now I can feed my greyhounds food that is not compromising my morals, their nutritional needs and best of all, the horrible farts have subsided!

For treats I get the Bil Jack chicken liver biscuits, Blue Dog Bakery's biscuits, Buddy Biscuits soft treats, Old Mother Hubbard biscuits and Wellness WellBars. My greys have to work for their cookies, they do tricks to get them and we probably have 3-5 trick/treat sessions a day.

Once a week or so they will each get a home baked pig ear, digestive chew, or home baked marrow bone. I try to limit these since they often lead to excessive gas, which I avoid.

Edited by graziella

• 5 months later...
Guest wdlndgreasil
To add to the raw diet, every now and again I add in part of a can of Tripett, whose instructions should read like a hand grenade: pull pin and throw.

Same here. Vile stuff that green tripe. But they love it. And it's SO GOOD for them.

No kidding! That's one can that must be rinsed & go immediately into the recyle bin! God help you if you leave it under the sink :)

I use TOW for my kibble eaters, blue buffalo canned, and I make my own treats, but I do use bully sticks, even my old girl that won't chew anything loves bully sticks My grey is a raw eater

• 1 month later...
Guest Charming

All this talk does not produce any viable guidance any help to the totally confused greyhounder (me). If I take a look at different brands consumption distribution vs. population i got "0" useful information. It looks like greyhounds’ community does not have any idea what food is the best for greyhounds, what food is causing problems and health hazards.

I have two greyhounds and one of them (6.5 y.o.) has developed osteosarcoma. Nobody knows what is the triggering mechanism for this disease in greyhounds, but 22% of them are getting this killer-sickness. Some think that it is genetic related problem; some attribute it to the environmental conditions (including food and water).

There is NO STUDY that I got across related to the correlation of osteosarcoma and type of food dogs were fed during their life time.

I got across many different internet sites related to the totally UNREGULATED Dog Food Industry (what a shame!). Some say that to prevent cancer you need to feed your dogs with high protein food with absolutely no carbohydrates (Aloha Co.), some say that this type of food might cause kidney failure, some say - no grain diet is the “must†diet, other say that grain is necessary component for domesticated animals digestion system.

Again - total confusion. One piece of information - when I started feed my dogs with the "Taste of wilderness" (bison meat based, high protein dry food) both dogs developed very severe allergy. Their skin became open wound. Just beware of this. :wacko:

Edited by Charming

All this talk does not produce any viable guidance any help to the totally confused greyhounder (me). If I take a look at different brands consumption distribution vs. population i got "0" useful information. It looks like greyhounds’ community does not have any idea what food is the best for greyhounds, what food is causing problems and health hazards.

I have two greyhounds and one of them (6.5 y.o.) has developed osteosarcoma. Nobody knows what is the triggering mechanism for this disease in greyhounds, but 22% of them are getting this killer-sickness. Some think that it is genetic related problem; some attribute it to the environmental conditions (including food and water).

There is NO STUDY that I got across related to the correlation of osteosarcoma and type of food dogs were fed during their life time.

I got across many different internet sites related to the totally UNREGULATED Dog Food Industry (what a shame!). Some say that to prevent cancer you need to feed your dogs with high protein food with absolutely no carbohydrates (Aloha Co.), some say that this type of food might cause kidney failure, some say - no grain diet is the “must†diet, other say that grain is necessary component for domesticated animals digestion system.

Again - total confusion. One piece of information - when I started feed my dogs with the "Taste of wilderness" (bison meat based, high protein dry food) both dogs developed very severe allergy. Their skin became open wound. Just beware of this. :wacko:

Hi, no special advice on the food question but it's good to hear from you -- I saw the name Charming and thought it must be you. (You don't have enough posts to receive a private message, so I'm posting here.) It sounds like Charming is still hanging in; I'm really glad to hear it, I think of him often!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Charming

Hi, no special advice on the food question but it's good to hear from you -- I saw the name Charming and thought it must be you. (You don't have enough posts to receive a private message, so I'm posting here.) It sounds like Charming is still hanging in; I'm really glad to hear it, I think of him often!

Hello, nice to hear from you. Unfortunately Charming came to the end of the road. He is in pain and it is the matter of hours or a few days before he is going to be in G-d's hands.

Guest cosmogrey

I was giving Luke Eagle Pack Fish Blend, he was ok with it, but I am presently in the process of switching over to Kirkland Lamb and Rice which he doesn't seem to mind--I just read from one of the discussions that the Kirkland dog food seemed to help with butt-hair growth in some greys, and my Luke needs all the help he can get! :lol

I also put either canned wet food on top of the kibble, or I make some wet dog food (I bought a cookbook for dogs, currently trying out the recipes).

• 3 months later...
Guest flojome

My guys were on Canidea All Life Stages for a year, then the formula changed because suddenly they started having the WORST flatulence I've ever smelled out of them.

I then went on a new dog food hunt and learned about Flint River Ranch dog food. Their company is far superior than anything else I encountered on the market AND they even ship directly to the consumer! They don't use preservatives in their food, their chicken meal and other meat sources do not contain poultry by-products or other by-products like chicken feet, chicken heads, duck heads, beaks, feathers, fish heads, hides, hoofs and intestines. There are no breakfast food by-products, corn, cottonseed, corn cobs, citrus pulp, soy beans, fillers, and no screening or other foreign materials such as noxious weeds, straw, hulls or chaff in our product.

Now I can feed my greyhounds food that is not compromising my morals, their nutritional needs and best of all, the horrible farts have subsided!

For treats I get the Bil Jack chicken liver biscuits, Blue Dog Bakery's biscuits, Buddy Biscuits soft treats, Old Mother Hubbard biscuits and Wellness WellBars. My greys have to work for their cookies, they do tricks to get them and we probably have 3-5 trick/treat sessions a day.

Once a week or so they will each get a home baked pig ear, digestive chew, or home baked marrow bone. I try to limit these since they often lead to excessive gas, which I avoid.

Hi: I am also using the Flint River Ranch kibble with good success, but had to reduce the amount per feeding compared to other brands. It is the Trout and Sweet Potato kibble we are using. It is so good we can even eat it ourselves as a snack...

John

Guest PawTrotter

Hi: I am also using the Flint River Ranch kibble with good success, but had to reduce the amount per feeding compared to other brands. It is the Trout and Sweet Potato kibble we are using. It is so good we can even eat it ourselves as a snack...

John

This is great info, thank you. My grey also has a big problem with flatulence on the Canidae kibble. I'm going to try out Flint River Ranch Kibble; seems everyone is raving about this stuff! :)

Guest Simonie

I cannot vote, I do not feed them with cans.

I use Eagle Pack Holistic Select - Duck meal and Oatmeal

I tried Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meal and Chicken Meal & Rice but they have too much gas!

As for treats, I mostly use milk bones, rawhide bones and purebites treats (all flavors).

Guest Dashersmom

We previously fed Dasher Iams, but we noticed that sometimes he would throw up. Also, half the time he wasn't interested in eating it. I recently switched him to Nutro Natural Choice for Sensitive Stomachs. He LOVES this food. In fact, I have to stand next to his dish and make him stop to breathe while he eats, because he wolfs it down so fast. I will definitely keep him on the Nutro. It's great to see him enjoying his food!