What Brand Of Dog Food Do You Feed Your Greyhounds - Revisited

Guest PaulaMC

Updated Dog Food Poll  

559 members have voted

1. 1. What brands of dry dog food do you buy?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Kibbles N Bits
    • Kirkland
    • Nutro
    • Pedigree
    • Pro Plan
    • Purina
    • Royal Canin
    • Wellness
    • Solid Gold
    • Chicken Soup for the Soul
    • Raw / BARF
  2. 2. What brands of canned food do you buy for mix-ins?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Mixables
    • Nutro
    • Natural Balance
    • Pedigree
    • Purina
    • Kirkland
    • Pro Plan
    • Royal Canin
    • Solid Gold
    • Wellness
    • Other
  3. 3. What kinds of dog treats do you buy?

• Jerky Treats
    • Dog Biscuits - any kind
    • Beggin Strips
    • Rawhide Chews or strips
    • Pigs Ears or snouts
    • Greenies
    • Denta bone or stix
    • Snausages
    • Real bones
    • Marobone
    • Hooves or antlers
    • Homemade dog biscuits
    • Other

Guest greyloverx2

used to use Purina One but changed to Purina Pro Plan when we brought our second guy home from the track. They get a little yogurt & pumpkin with their kibble. Our eldest, Jimmy loves broccoli so he gets one piece in the morning. they also both love salmon so I'll often cook a piece and mix a little in each day--their coats are very shiny! Been thinking about making my own food but no idea what that would entail.

:gh_run2

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

Kibble: Artemis Adult Dog Formula

I mix in a scoop or two of canned, either Artemis or Merrick

A touch of white rice, fish oil, a dash of garlic, plain yogurt and a bit of missing link.

For treats she get the Merrick Moozles, pig snouts and ears, in moderation as well as the occasional Bully Stick and Baa-Baa Q's...Jo LOVES those.

Edited by LoveMyJoseyBean

Guest TotalZoo

I feed Raw but keep kibble on hand for travel or when we need it for mix ins or whatever. somtimes I use EVO RM, sometimes I use Horizen-either puppy or grain-free. for treats I use anything, but I usually just buy a 5 gallon pail of milkbones.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bonscoby

We were using Canidae for Free to Run, but she has been turning her nose up at it recently. I went to the local dog store and Evo was recommended. At the moment she seems pleased. I also bought Merrick's Chicken Pot Pie, but the gravy was missing in the last batch. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm thinking of trying some other canned foods mentioned here...I'm glad we update this thread every so often. Thanks!

I have all the dogs on Solid Gold - Wolf King, but am considering the Innova Red Meat if I can swing the cost difference. I generally mix a little bit of Wellness wet food into the kibble for taste and doggie approval.

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo, I think we've got a winner. After the familiar poop issues while trying Blue Buffalo, Wellness (briefly), and Evo Red Meat, I switched Beth to Pro Plan Selects Salmon and Brown Rice, and after a couple of weeks she's now got firm poops for the first time. (I'm also giving her probiotics and digestive enzymes, and that may be helping as well.) She really likes the Pro Plan, and has regained some weight she lost on Evo. I'd like eventually to try to find something more seriously holistic that works for her, but for now, I'm sticking with it. (And happy I can collect those weight circles, too!)

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

It would be helpful to have a None button under "What brands of canned food do you buy for mix-ins?" I never use canned food as a mix in. Mix in is Grizzly Salmon oil and/or pumpkin.

Right now Carl is getting CA Natural Herring and Sweet Potato, but since they just reduced the bag size from 36 lbs to 30 lbs for the same price (a 16% increase) I think I will be switching him back to Kirkland.

Treats vary, sometimes Wellness, sometimes baked Health Bars, also they sometimes get beef tendons.

Eagle Pack, Eagle Pack Holistic & California Natural are kibbles that many here use and are missing from the list.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest sidewaysfallin

We were on Blue Buffalo, and switched over to the new pro plan chicky and rice. It was a great move :D She still gets canned blue buffalo and canned brandon farms organics as a mix in. Treats- milkbones, nutro tarter control, beggin strips and freeze dried chicken.

Guest goodtimekid

1 of my greys and our lab gets Nature Balance Venison and sweet potato.

Our senior grey does better on Purina One for Seniors and our 7yr JRT also eats that. We don't use mix ins.

Our Grey is a picky eater. I've had him on Canidae for some time and the past couple of bags, I've noticed he is very gassy!!! A friend was having good results with the Purina Selects foods so I picked up a small bag to try it. Still mixed with the Canidae but he seems to like it (this week) and the gas is less. I can only assume it was the Canidae.

Our Grey is a picky eater. I've had him on Canidae for some time and the past couple of bags, I've noticed he is very gassy!!! A friend was having good results with the Purina Selects foods so I picked up a small bag to try it. Still mixed with the Canidae but he seems to like it (this week) and the gas is less. I can only assume it was the Canidae.

Guest twoskinnydogs

Both of my greys eat Science Diet lamb and rice. They were on pro plan for a short peroid and didn't seem to like it as much. On occasion they get cooked chicken or salmon, rice and veggies. They both eat marrobones and natural rawhide and pig ears i get locally. If I do get biscuts the usually get a name brand like Iams or Science diet. I have seen several brands on here that are not available in my area so I have to stick to what I can get.

Guest sirsmom

Because of the economy we feed Eagle Pack Natural to Sir and for our little shepherd mix, we feed Science Diet Lamb & Rice (she does the best on this and really enjoys it). We also give bits of meat or cottage cheese daily.

I was feeding Chicken soup adult formula but my friend who gets it for me (she works up where its available), couldn't get it for me this last time, so I got a bag of Diamond Lamb and Rice. I mix in cottage cheese/shredded cheese or yogurt. I do egg once a week or so. Sometimes if I didn't get groceries in time, I mix just water- i think its fine for them to have a break.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

well I have joined the Kirkland SIGNATURE Chicken Rice and Veggies ranks. I did research it the best I could and it is not so far off from Canidae. just a whole lot less money and a good 40 lb bag :) It does have beet pulp which could cause allergy but I don't suspect my dogs to have a problem, so far so good :) Maybe Asia's stools will be firmer (loose since chemo)

Edited by Madeara
"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

• 2 weeks later...

We are still on the Kirkland Senior kibble. I toss a fish oil capsule in both meals and add a dollop of plain nonfat yogurt at breakfast.

Coats look good. Pups are happy.

Also bought Check Ups dental chews at Costco. Pups love them and their teeth look much better!

Guest greytexplorer

Primary food is Taste of the Wild (buffalo and venison) by Diamond.

Mix-in food is Pro Plan Lamb and Rice.

Spray a little hot water on it and stir. Makes a nice gravy. :)

Treats> Greenies, Milk Bones, beef jerky strips, whatever.

NO rawhide though.

Guest isntitgreyt

I feed Beneful Healthy Radiance. It really brought out Foxy's coat since she had a mite and was missing hair everywhere. My girls like it. I don't give wet food. I don't feel there's anything special about it and find it a waste of money. They get treats that are easy to chew since my Boston Terrier doesn't like hard bones.

Whidbey gets a partial raw diet, generally turkey or chicken, and a small amount of Eagle Pack Natural kibble with a couple of pumps of Grizzly Salmon Oil. Our foster, Anna, is currently on Purina ProPlan as that's what she is used to, with a couple of pumps of salmon oil. If we adopt her, I'll be transitioning her to Whidbey's diet.

I'm feeding Nature's Variety Prairie kibble, which is not listed. No mix-ins. Popo's stool is not exactly firm now, but it's better than it was on California Natural. I usually fee Old Mother Hubbard crunchy treats, various flavors.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AllThingsBiotha

Not on your list, but a new grain free kibble by Petcurean--NOW. It's got pre-biotics, pro-biotics and digestive enzymes, which are very important to me with a breed that bloats--and has horrible food allergies.

Petcurean - NOW

If your dog can handle grain, they make an amazing kibble called GO.

My guys get Raw Green Tripe or Raw Performance Dog in the morning, and NOW mixed with a little bit of Tripett at night. Salmon Oil, plus something with MSM, Chondroiton and Glucosamine--usually a Springtime, Inc. product.

Just an update- I'm about to start feeding Canidea Life Stages. I found a local pet store who carries it, along with a few other brands- and it's actually pretty affordable. So we'll see. I know ppl have been talking about them changing their formulas, so let's hope this is not the case.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Guest laceyj
can't vote: I don't use any of the dry or canned choices and if I don't check off one of them, it won't accept what I check for treats.

Same here. I don't feed any wet/canned food and I feed Eagle Natural kibble.