What Brand Of Dog Food Do You Feed Your Greyhounds - Revisited

Guest PaulaMC

Updated Dog Food Poll  

559 members have voted

1. 1. What brands of dry dog food do you buy?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Kibbles N Bits
    • Kirkland
    • Nutro
    • Pedigree
    • Pro Plan
    • Purina
    • Royal Canin
    • Wellness
    • Solid Gold
    • Chicken Soup for the Soul
    • Raw / BARF
  2. 2. What brands of canned food do you buy for mix-ins?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Mixables
    • Nutro
    • Natural Balance
    • Pedigree
    • Purina
    • Kirkland
    • Pro Plan
    • Royal Canin
    • Solid Gold
    • Wellness
    • Other
  3. 3. What kinds of dog treats do you buy?

• Jerky Treats
    • Dog Biscuits - any kind
    • Beggin Strips
    • Rawhide Chews or strips
    • Pigs Ears or snouts
    • Greenies
    • Denta bone or stix
    • Snausages
    • Real bones
    • Marobone
    • Hooves or antlers
    • Homemade dog biscuits
    • Other

Guest tricolorhounds
Fed Canidae and changed to Kirkland about 3 weeks ago. I don't have an opinion yet. Lots of gas and poops are a little soft. I'm going to give it a few more weeks. I know Kirkland rates really high.

I also add 1/2 can Kirkland wet, split between my three.

We switched last week to Kirkland... Prior to that I was feeding a combo of Nutro High Energy and Eukanuba Sensitive Stomach. Out of the 6 dogs, 3 can/will eat nearly anything... 2 have nervous tummys and 1 is a picky (kibble) eater. So far, they are all doing good with the Kirkland. Poops are solid but they do have :fart

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GreyRider

Does anybody use Blue Bufflo Lamb and whole grain? We started using it whne we brought Zeena home. It was OK for the first few weeks but lately we have been getting loos stools. Not sure if it is the food or somthing else. Zeena seems to enjoy since she does eat it all.

Guest MountainHounds

I feed the Kirkland chicken and rice. The boys get plain kibble in the morning that they graze on all day, then around 8:30 or so at night, they get kibble and a half a can split between the two of them along with water mixed in to make a gravy. Since the mix in canned is more just an enticement to get my slow eater Kamin to eat in a timely manner, I'm not as picky about what they get for canned. I usually just grab a case of the Kirkland canned while I'm at Costco, but I'm not super committed to making sure it's always the Kirkland. A couple of months ago I found those Beneful wet food for super cheap and stocked up. They ate those for a good month. Sometimes I'll grab Merrick if I see it around, occasionally it's Nutro canned.

Guest greyindy

Harley

Blue Buffalo Lamb (has problem with chicken and so many non chicken foods have chicken products in them). Her poos can be puddingy so I am going to try a little pumpkin in her food. Treats are dehydrated duck strips from Menards.

Moka

Pro Plan Chicken Treats are dehysrated chicken strips from Menards.

Guest Major_Houlihan

Hi,

We feed our grey PUrina ONE chicken and rice dry, mixed with ONE can chicken and rice, mixed with a spoonful of plain yogurt. She was on ONE at the kennel and she has done pretty good with it. I would like to find something that will help get her coat in better shape. (or I should jsut sit back and be patient,lol)

We use Authority and mix in (about 1 tablespoon of canned) what ever they want we keep a variety of canned food in the house as Ms. Softee who will be 15 in August has her snits. With her we might have 3 or 4 open cans in the refrigerator at any given time... :lol

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest JasnJack

We feed California Natural lamb and rice. Our 2 were on Nutro before we adopted them - they've had a bit of diarrhea while we transitioned them but now (@ 2 1/2 wks) things are firming up nicely and their coats are shiny and soft. We give Wellness yogurt biscuits for treats.

Fiona, Zeke & Bailey are on Pro-Plan Lamb and Rice. I add some canned Purina One to their dishes.

Tasha eats Purina One Sensitive Stomach with some boiled ground turkey on top. She seems to like this and does very well on it.

Treats are limited (Bailey is on a diet) but Paul Newman's Peanut Butter dog treats are given out now and then.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I feed the girls Pro Plan Selects salmon and brown rice kibble. They like it and it seems to agree with them. Occasionally, I'll add a small amount of Pro Plan Selects canned salmon and brown rice when her grace, er, Nadia, gets picky. Sardines added to their kibble all around for a special treat.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Boys eat IAMs kibble with some canned or homecooked added.

Zema was eating all homecooked, now on a trial of Solid Gold Mmillennia kibble with some canned or homecooked added.

Canned: We use whatever I happen to get -- usually ProPlan/ONE, Tripett, EVO, Chicken Soup, Evanger's 100% meats.

Homecooked: Usually beef + turkey + chicken + egg. Sometimes people leftovers.

Treats: Sometimes homecooked, sometimes store bought. We like the IAMs lamb & rice biscuits (easy to break into small pieces), EVO original biscuits (ditto), any freeze-dried fish, Lakse Kronch, Charlie Bear Egg & Cheese, Simon & Huey, Burpdogs, Baa Baa Q's, graham crackers, animal crackers, rice cakes ........

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Softee aka The Godess went on a snit yesterday and we had to open another brand of dog food for her to get her to eat something. I swear the stinkier and cheaper she enjoys. As long as I get some food into her. After she ate that stinking food she finished her dinner :lol

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest jerrybird

I have recently switched to Merrick's Senior diet, both kibble and canned. My guy loves it and he has been a very picky eater over the years.

Guest paulamariez

We just switched from Chicken Soup Senior to Eagle Pack Holistic Senior. Our hounds stopped eating the Chicken Soup for some bizarre reason, so we were forced to switch. We're hoping for the best from the Eagle Pack.

Guest Nelsonismyhero

For my greys and terriers I recently switched to Kirkland Lamb and Rice after having used Canidae for a long time. The greys get glucosamine pills with easy cheese at each meal and sometimes I add chopped apples, green beans, banana, yogurt or cottage cheese as a special treat. My puppy has been on a number of different foods (he's really picky). At the moment he is on Eagle Pack Power Pack mixed with a little bit of Kirkland canned for added taste. Although, I'm planning on adding some BARF into his meals to replace to canned food. He also gets fish oil supplements everyday.

For snacks we give Kirkland biscuits or Milkbones and sometimes I will chop up some fruit or cheese to give as like a "lunch" for them (puppy doesn't like fruit or vegetables). I don't do that everyday, but they usually get biscuits everyday because I like to give them before I leave the house. Every week I will usually give out either pigs ears or bully sticks depending on what I have. They also get scraps from the table if we have anything left over.

Audrey

Guest SoulsMom

I can't vote, neither of my brands are on there . . .Soul gets a mixture of Natural Balance limited ingredients, and Taste of the Wild Pacific stream.

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest weycoolgrey

I could not vote, but we feed Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance- Sweet Potato & fish. If we stir anything in, it is either pumpkin or yogurt. Lots of different treats!

Guest greyhound_bug

Switched from Nutro to Canidae All Life Stages back in the fall. The boys love it and so far we are happy with the change.

Guest lionessgrace

I have fed dry Nutro and canned Pedigree but my Grey has always had one nice bowel movement and one soft bowel movement in the same walk. I may try this Canidae food that people have mentioned, but what about Kirkland? Do people like it better than Nutro even?

Guest ProudGreyMom

Molly and Andy eat Iam Naturals with a bit of canned stirred in. Jake eats prescription diet. They never, ever have snausages or any "meaty" looking treats because my first beagle had terrible pancreatitis and I believe that those items added to his illness. So for treats they get dry small dog bisquits or home made bisquits.

• 2 weeks later...

We've switched to Wellness Core Low-Fat, mixed with Natural Balance canned and amended with Missing Link (probiotics and Omega-3's). Now our two greys have the best poops imaginable!

We were using Iams Large Breed kibble, but hair started coming out in patches. Vet said the brand had been sold and the formula had changed.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest DeweytheGreyt

I couldn't vote.

Dew & Rox get Fromm's Chicken A'la Veg and Salmon A'la Veg dry food, Fallon gets Merrick's Turducken dry. We use Merrick canned food for everyone on occasion and we usually buy Mother Hubbard or Wellness biscuits.

Guest spirys

We've been feeding our girls Science Diet, dry and canned, and have had no problems. Someone recommended Pedigree, and when I went to the store, I saw it was almost half the cost of the SD, so I bought it. However, the cashier (after she rang me up), told me I was going from very high end to very low end, and could expect a lot of problems. Now, I'm thinking of returnining it. Why mess with what's working? Except it sure would be nice to reduce costs some. Does anyone else have experience with this? Am I getting too worried? One of our girls eats the poop, and someone said that could be because the food we were giving was so high end, so I was thinking the Pedigree might lessen that, but I don't want to feed them junk either. Please advise.