What Brand Of Dog Food Do You Feed Your Greyhounds - Revisited

Guest PaulaMC

Updated Dog Food Poll  

559 members have voted

1. 1. What brands of dry dog food do you buy?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Kibbles N Bits
    • Kirkland
    • Nutro
    • Pedigree
    • Pro Plan
    • Purina
    • Royal Canin
    • Wellness
    • Solid Gold
    • Chicken Soup for the Soul
    • Raw / BARF
  2. 2. What brands of canned food do you buy for mix-ins?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Mixables
    • Nutro
    • Natural Balance
    • Pedigree
    • Purina
    • Kirkland
    • Pro Plan
    • Royal Canin
    • Solid Gold
    • Wellness
    • Other
  3. 3. What kinds of dog treats do you buy?

• Jerky Treats
    • Dog Biscuits - any kind
    • Beggin Strips
    • Rawhide Chews or strips
    • Pigs Ears or snouts
    • Greenies
    • Denta bone or stix
    • Snausages
    • Real bones
    • Marobone
    • Hooves or antlers
    • Homemade dog biscuits
    • Other

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Duck and Potato. Cooked chicken breasts and natural treats various types At times yogurt. Butte, our new boy, is on Forte Flora and Tylosin Tartrate because of an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine. He may also have some food allergies. Seems to be doing better.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wendy is fed Merrick brand kibble and canned.

FWIW the Beef 'n More canned is made by Merrick in the same plant with virtually the same ingredents as Cowboy Cookout. Available at my Sprawlmart for an amazing .53 a can.

Interesting.

I've fed my 14-year-old boy cans of Merrick's Puppy Plate, Grammy's Pot Pie or Thanksgiving Dinner (the three with highest calorie & protein levels), along with Solid Gold Hundenflocken kibble for the past few years, and people are amazed at the quality of his coat. So soft you can help but pet him for hours.

But it ain't cheap! I will have to find a "Sprawlmart" -- I'm in SD,CA and I think the nearest one is about 20 miles from me.

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

Guest Sighthound

We feed 4 dogs Solid Gold Holistic Blendz, 1 Canidae and Cleo we are trying to change over from Purina One to Canidae. but with the changes in Canidae I think we will be looking into Merrick Dry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FordRacingRon

Kirkland for breakfast,,,Natural Balance for dinner,,,chicken jerky, bullysticks for treats.

ETA: for mix ins,,we make broth for the kibble,,beef. So for mix ins we use the beef that the broth was made from, and Leia likes cabbage and green beans and peas.

Edited by FordRacingRon

Canidae All Life Stages kibble

No canned food--mix in lukewarm water and various add-ins to make a stew out of the kibble instead

Pig ears, CET chew strips, bully sticks and Newman's Own chicken biscuits, Zuke's soft treats and the occasional Greenie for goodies

Hot dogs or cream cheese for pill disguises :ph34r

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest rippasmom

I was given diet guidelines by my holistic vet and cook "stew" made with chicken or hamburger with a green vegetable(spinach, green beans, zuccini,etc) with barley or steel cut oats and a sweet potato diced up.I also add dry kibble. Was using Nature's Recipe Farm Stand Select, but went to Tractor Supply yesterday and bought Diamond Natural for seniors(have one 8 yr. old and one 10 yr. old) Oswald is 6(almost) but he eats the same. Added some last night with no complaints. Cost is an issue, Diamond for seniors has no wheat, corn, or by-products and is almost half the price.

Guest MAXNAV
I have fed dry Nutro and canned Pedigree but my Grey has always had one nice bowel movement and one soft bowel movement in the same walk. I may try this Canidae food that people have mentioned, but what about Kirkland? Do people like it better than Nutro even?

I use IAMS Lamb and Rice kibble, and Pedigree pouches for variety. I can't use the mushy one, as Navi and my angel boy Max would have the soft stools. I use the Pedigree Little Champions pouches that are the chunks, instead of the mushy stuff. I don't know what the difference is, but neither one had soft stools after switching to this kind.

• 3 weeks later...

We feed our greyhound and lurcher (deerhound x greyhound)

Jollyes lifestage adult large breed

www.jollyes.co.uk

Obviously we add topping for encouragement i.e. fish, veg, cheese, pasta, rice, bits of cooked chicken etc

Plus they get the odd training treat and doggie biscuits now and again.

Basically spoiled rotten..........

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest oakmoorehill

I cann't vote either. William and Buttton have Red Mills greyhound food which is made in Ireland and is specially made for greyhounds. They make different ones with different levels of protien. Racer is for dogs in race training and Tracker is for resting or convalesing greyhounds. Mine have the Tracker as it has lower protein levels and William goes loopy if he has too much protien. The whippets and the irish setter also eat it

Guest arlosmom

We just recently switched to canidae and they like it and are doing good. the poll would not let me not put in a canned food but I only add water to my dogs food. We like nutro lamb and rice cookies and california natural also lamb lung for training treats. Of course cheese is a real hit! occasional busy bones or some small rawhides with stuff for tarter I get from the vet.

Guest greytelectric
To add to the raw diet, every now and again I add in part of a can of Tripett, whose instructions should read like a hand grenade: pull pin and throw.

Same here. Vile stuff that green tripe. But they love it. And it's SO GOOD for them.

Guest LindsaySF

Kirkland dry for the non-Greys. Kirkland canned for everyone.

Teagan is on 50/50 Kirkland/Blue Buffalo Wilderness kibble.

but my Grey has always had one nice bowel movement and one soft bowel movement in the same walk.

This is very common, and not indicative of a problem with the food. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Canidae dry kibble all the time... along with occasional cans of Canidae, Solid Gold, or Wellness (or similarly made brands of) wet food to mix in.

• 2 weeks later...

We feed whole prey/frankenprey, for example tonight they each had a turkey wing, an egg, and some tripe mix. For treats they get either dehydrated liver or dehydrated lung. It's like crack to them lol.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest bythebeach

We started our grey on Blue Buffalo after we got her. The gas was sooooo bad. It seemed like she passed it every time she moved. She even got yogurt mixed in to help with the gas. A few months ago we switched her to Iams Proactive & now there is only ocassional gas. Fortunately, Gabbi is good eater so we've never had to worry about enticing her to eat with mix-ins.

She has not been picky at all. When we first got her, she had to have pills for worms. I could not get them down her for anything. So I put it in her food dish & she gobbled up the kibbles & didn't even realize she ate the pill too.

Guest sirsmom

The Pro Plan worked out well, however we are saving money by feeding Eagle Pack Natural super premium. Same results poop and coat wise, just a bit less pricey. We also add a dollop of Purina One canned food as an incentive.

The Pro Plan worked out well, however we are saving money by feeding Eagle Pack Natural super premium. Same results poop and coat wise, just a bit less pricey. We also add a dollop of Purina One canned food as an incentive.

We feed the same as you! Eagle Pack Natural with a couple tablespoons of Purina One canned. Perfect poops and our dogs go crazy for their meals! We have fed this combination for the last 6 months or so with GREYT success!

Guest sirsmom

We feed the same as you! Eagle Pack Natural with a couple tablespoons of Purina One canned. Perfect poops and our dogs go crazy for their meals! We have fed this combination for the last 6 months or so with GREYT success!

we actually tried eagle pack natural after reading your praises of it! thanks--everyone is happy and I notice the dogs are a lot shinier now

we actually tried eagle pack natural after reading your praises of it! thanks--everyone is happy and I notice the dogs are a lot shinier now

So glad to hear I was helpful and that it's working for you too! :-)