What Brand Of Dog Food Do You Feed Your Greyhounds - Revisited

Guest PaulaMC

Updated Dog Food Poll  

559 members have voted

1. 1. What brands of dry dog food do you buy?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Kibbles N Bits
    • Kirkland
    • Nutro
    • Pedigree
    • Pro Plan
    • Purina
    • Royal Canin
    • Wellness
    • Solid Gold
    • Chicken Soup for the Soul
    • Raw / BARF
  2. 2. What brands of canned food do you buy for mix-ins?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Mixables
    • Nutro
    • Natural Balance
    • Pedigree
    • Purina
    • Kirkland
    • Pro Plan
    • Royal Canin
    • Solid Gold
    • Wellness
    • Other
  3. 3. What kinds of dog treats do you buy?

• Jerky Treats
    • Dog Biscuits - any kind
    • Beggin Strips
    • Rawhide Chews or strips
    • Pigs Ears or snouts
    • Greenies
    • Denta bone or stix
    • Snausages
    • Real bones
    • Marobone
    • Hooves or antlers
    • Homemade dog biscuits
    • Other

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am feeding Drake Pro Pac Senior Chicken & Rice. Good ingredients. No corn. Made in Evansville, Indiana. He likes it. Firm poops after 2 weeks. Good price. Available at the feed store 5 minutes from my house where every 10 bag is free and the owner insists on carrying it to my car. More importantly, our vet does not want Drake on a super high-protein food. He said that too much protein stresses the kidneys and that there is no benefit for a dog with Drake's activity level (2-3 mile walk per day).

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

after successfully feeding holistic select(was eagle pac) for 3 years i have changed to NUTRO large breed/lamb and rice.(the change over was right at the begining of the IAMS RECALL) HS said that they did not change their formular, but often their ingredients are not exactly the same, since they are "holistic". well, over the last couple of bags one of the pups has not responded well. i went looking for a moderate priced food, w/ at least 24% protein, 14% fat, protien meal content first(more digestable and higher content than listing a whole protien first) other than a chicken based food, this is what i found at my local feed store. no more stinky poops, significant lesser amount of dog waste(clean up is 1/2 the amount) and far fewer poops on our walks.....! the weight lost during the bout w/ the last bag of HS(stopped feeding it after 2 days since it disagreed w/ him so intensly) has been regained. i shall wait and see what the future holds as they continue to eat NURTO.

1/2 bag later....firm poops, no gas, happy dogs, lots of energy, good price. he gained the weight he lost, just bought another sack of NUTRO LARGE BREED-LAMB & RICE

(a friend who had her borzois on evo went to nurto- not as $$$, they did really well.)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Charmedseed

We're starting our guy on Innova. I liked the no-grains policy and I didn't see any 'meal' anything on the ingredient list. It's a little anxiety-inducing, with all the reports and all the 'bad' foods, but this seems promising. Will follow up with results.

I also like to give Indy a good dollop of yogurt! He came with some STINKY gas, whew!

Guest Pipestrelle

I feed my greyhound on Bakers chicken and Vegetable dried food (not listed). This is his preferred choice( from admittedly few types). He seems to enjoy it and is healthy. I mix it with water and soak it for at least 30minutes. When he is given scraps he nearly always develops loose stools. Once a week a tin of sardines or mackerel is added to his food. He loves this. When he came to me his coat was quite rough and lacked fur on the top surface of his tail( you could see the line of vertebrae). Now he has a soft coat and well covered tail😊

Guest verthib

You didn't have my food in your choices. We feed Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato. We only give Charlee Bear treats and bully sticks. I have a difficult time finding treats my Angus can tolerate.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TheDawnPatrol

You are still missing some of the higher end holistic grain-free brands, for example Weruva, Acana and Zero/G. We feed Acana Ranchland to the big hounds along with canned green lamb tripe and salmon oil supplements. The little hounds get Weruva canned chicken and Zero/G dry and salmon oil.

When I compared prices between Acana and some middle range dry food the difference came out to approximately $.15-.20 more per day per dog. That difference I count as medical insurance keeping the dogs healthy and out off the vet's office.

Over the years, we have fed a number of the middle to higher end dry foods [Flint River, Canidae, TotW, Wellness Core] but at some point the company gets sold or changes their formula [for whatever reason]. When that happens you can see the difference in the food product almost immediately, either it looks or smells different or the dogs intestinal systems go south. Acana is our latest and the hounds are doing well on it. Our previous brand, Wellness Core, seems to have undergone a formula change resulting in loose, stinky, very large poops. Count me an idiot but I have this reluctance in paying for dog food of which 95% ends up in the poop bag.

I have had dogs for more than 60 years and can remember when my dad would go off to the local knackers to pick up remnants for our wolfhounds. My mom would mix the scraps with cooked rice, left over veggies and bacon grease and the bones were used for gnawing to keep the houndie teeth clean. Simpler days.

Peace.

R

• 1 month later...

i changed from hollistic select duck/oatmeal to nutro large breed which is lamb based, 24% protien. excellent stool, super good thick coat and their stomachs are fine. there seemed to be an inconsitiancy in the ingredients of the h.s. food resulting in gas and loose stool(i checked the medical end of the problem). i even called the manufacturer and they said, "since it's organic they often have a slightly different variation in their ingredients" huh??? that didn't make sense, quality control is what i am looking for in a commerical food, be it "organic" or not. btw, the is no official standard for "organic" in the us market. it varies from state to state, well anyway according to a report on NPR.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Waterdog66

We chose Merrick Grain Free when we brought Audrey home and she just happened to love it.

She eats Chicken and Sweet Potato Kibble and "Grammy's Pot Pie" and "Thanks Giving Day Dinner" canned food mixed in for her evening meal. She did not seemed to like "Holiday Venison Stew" or "Wilderness Blend" so much.

We also regularly mix in Peanut Butter, Yogurt and more recently Grape Seed Oil.

We have had her a little over 4 weeks and has gained about 5 pounds since leaving the track in January. (She seems to be thriving)

Guest D_MansMommy

i fed the boyz innova evo for about 10 years. a few months ago TC was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure so i had to find a food lower in protein and phosphorus (i did not want the rx science diet stuff). i feed nutrisource large breed now. TC is doing great and Donovan is too :)

Guest bizzydesigner

For the most part we feed the Kirkland nature's domain dry (salmon... Have not tried the turkey variety yet) mixed with blue buffalo varieties. I usually go for the stew kind because it is just easier to mix. We had to switch this current bag to solid gold but plan on phasing back to nature's domain.

Guest OPointyDog

One dog on Iams Lamb and Rice with FortiFlora, and the other dog on Purina DCO prescription food, mixed with homecooked rice and boiled beef, with tylan powder and a multivitamin. I am getting tired of boiling beef, though, and recently discovered Newman's Own organic canned dog food which is just beef - so might try subbing that for the boiled beef.

Treats are Blue Dog Bakery and Nutro Naturals Banana flavored training treats. Occasionally they get Spot's Chews as a special treat. They also get kongs with pumpkin and peanut butter.

Guest FreeholdHound

Victor Hi-Pro Plus !! Harry loves it (no more toppers needed). And the "output" is the best he's had in the year I've had him.

Guest Celestrina

Angie is on Hill's Science Diet z/d because of IBD. She has food sensitivities, so the z/d is better for her than the i/d. Now she doesn't seem to like that anymore...

Guest driser

Can't vote ... Natural Balance isn't listed for dry. We use Natural Balance L.I.D. Venison/Sweet Potato and a couple meals a week we mix in a scoop of Natural Balance L.I.D. canned food ... we buy a variety and change it up. And because it took us a year to nail down what food worked best (to get consistent pick-up-able stools, we use Natural Balance L.I.D. treats. Poops now bounce off the grass. It's finally fixed, why change anything! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest psdirector

We now feed Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato Limited Ingredient - kibble, canned and treats. Hutch and Tibbs have perfect poos, no gas and no tummy upsets for the first time since we got them. Yay!

Guest psdirector

We now feed Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato Limited Ingredient - kibble, canned and treats. Hutch and Tibbs have perfect poos, no gas and no tummy upsets for the first time since we got them. Yay!

You are still missing some of the higher end holistic grain-free brands, for example Weruva, Acana and Zero/G. We feed Acana Ranchland to the big hounds along with canned green lamb tripe and salmon oil supplements. The little hounds get Weruva canned chicken and Zero/G dry and salmon oil.

When I compared prices between Acana and some middle range dry food the difference came out to approximately $.15-.20 more per day per dog. That difference I count as medical insurance keeping the dogs healthy and out off the vet's office.

Over the years, we have fed a number of the middle to higher end dry foods [Flint River, Canidae, TotW, Wellness Core] but at some point the company gets sold or changes their formula [for whatever reason]. When that happens you can see the difference in the food product almost immediately, either it looks or smells different or the dogs intestinal systems go south. Acana is our latest and the hounds are doing well on it. Our previous brand, Wellness Core, seems to have undergone a formula change resulting in loose, stinky, very large poops. Count me an idiot but I have this reluctance in paying for dog food of which 95% ends up in the poop bag.

I have had dogs for more than 60 years and can remember when my dad would go off to the local knackers to pick up remnants for our wolfhounds. My mom would mix the scraps with cooked rice, left over veggies and bacon grease and the bones were used for gnawing to keep the houndie teeth clean. Simpler days.

Peace.

R

We also do the acana ranchlands and I swear by it. All three of our pups do very well on it with poops firm and rolling down the hill. At this point I don't care what acana charges as long as it keeps working. I do know they are on the higher priced end.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

• 3 months later...