Cole's Vet Visit-hypothyroid To Hyperthyroid?

Guest LokisMom

Guest LokisMom

Cole came to live with us in February. He will be 10 this month. He has been on 4 .6 mg pills of Soloxine for 5 years to control hypothyroid. Our vet says that is way too much and is the dose for a 120lb dog. He says a lot of what we are seeing (excessive panting and drinking, serious weight loss-10lbs in 6 months, dull coat, and shakiness) is probably because he is on so much Soloxine he is now hyperthyroid. He has us cutting back to 1 .6 mg pill a day and will consult further on Monday when the blood test results come back.

My question is, for those with dogs on Soloxine, what dose is your dog on? Does the 4 pills seem high? Is that normal for greys? I trust my vet but just wondered about otehr people's experiences. We are quite inexperienced with the thyroid thing.

Way to high in my opinion. All of my thyroid dogs have taken .5 twice a day and no one had to be adjusted (dobes and greys). Tootsie currently is on .7 once a day and I don't think it's enough, but better not enough than too much.

How in the world did he get on that much thyroid? Cut it back as your vet has advised!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

At first Bailey was put on 0.5 mg twice daily and Mr. Murphy was put on 0.7 mg twice daily. It was definately too much. Murph's T4 went from 0.4 to 5.something! Since greys normally have lower thyroid hormones they should be supplimented to a lower level. We tweaked until now I just take the 0.5 mg pill and break it in half so that each dog gets 0.25mg twice daily. That has Bailey at around 2 and Mr. Murphy around 1.7-2

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Guest tricolorhounds

My dogs are re-checked every 6 months... Bonkers has always been on .7 twice a day... Gaines had been on .8 twice a day but his test last month indicated he needed .9s but since they don't make .9s he takes 1 1/2 of the .6s twice a day.

Guest LokisMom

Okay, it does seem a bit high then. I just kind of wondered. Thank you for the responses.

Burpdog--- Our vet has theorized that his previous vet was trying to take him to a "normal" dog thyroid level not a normal greyhound level. We don't know for sure what happened as he is a bounce and when we called the previous vet to question the dose, they were less than helpful.

The Dude takes 1.2 in the morning and .8 in the evening. He's due for a recheck soon though, so we'll see what's what. He's been on this dosage for a year.

I was wondering - Dude is always really warm, as in, hot water bottle warm in winter and way too warm to cuddle with in bed in the summer. His body temp is at around 102 consistently. I also have trouble keeping weight on him, part of which I attribute to his hyper personality, but wonder if it's due to an out-of-whack thyroid. He has the typical bald tummy, neck and butt to go along with everything else.

Anybody else's grey this way?

greysmom ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The Dude takes 1.2 in the morning and .8 in the evening. He's due for a recheck soon though, so we'll see what's what. He's been on this dosage for a year.

I was wondering - Dude is always really warm, as in, hot water bottle warm in winter and way too warm to cuddle with in bed in the summer. His body temp is at around 102 consistently. I also have trouble keeping weight on him, part of which I attribute to his hyper personality, but wonder if it's due to an out-of-whack thyroid. He has the typical bald tummy, neck and butt to go along with everything else.

Anybody else's grey this way?

greysmom ;)

Usually when you're HYPOthyroid you are always cold.

Guest greyindy

Sounds like quite a bit. Our Harley is on .7 2x/day. I would wonder if his former vet was not grey savvy and trying to get numbers normal for a non grey dog also. I would definitely have levels drawn and your new vet check it.

Guest LokisMom
Sounds like quite a bit. Our Harley is on .7 2x/day. I would wonder if his former vet was not grey savvy and trying to get numbers normal for a non grey dog also. I would definitely have levels drawn and your new vet check it.

He had the blood drawn today. Our vet wants the leveled lowered immediately but may readjust once the results come in. We are not familiar with the previous vet but are wondering about whether they were grey savvy also.

Opie is on .8 2x a day, and he is 95 lbs. He is getting a recheck in a few months. So yes that original amount sounds way high.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest houndlover

I think that it sounds high but I'm not a vet. Billy, 11 yo, is about 78-80lbs and he is on .8 2x's per day. He is due for a recheck though. I can usually tell when there is something going on with his thyroid b/c he starts to have the same type of symptoms that you explained (shaking, panting, weight loss, etc).

Even my Dobes were on .5 twice a day. Normal on retest (on meds) is 2.0 to 5.0. I only had one that went to 5.0 and that was Shadow. He was 14 at the time of the test and he looked and acted good (especially since he had a lung tumor) so we left him at the .5 twice a day.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I was wondering - Dude is always really warm, as in, hot water bottle warm in winter and way too warm to cuddle with in bed in the summer. His body temp is at around 102 consistently. ...

greysmom ;)

from another thread where someone asked what is normal temp. for grayhounds

100 - 102 (some say 102.5) is normal

dogs are normally warmer than we are, they make great hot water bottles in the winter, but with the advent of spring blue is a bit too warm under the covers for me (he prefers snuggling as close as caninely possible), i'lll be switching from the winter feather bed to a lighter blanket soon.

you may want to download and read or print out for your vet the greyhound health packet by. dr. freeman available at this linky, there are other medical info docs there as well. he discusses greyhound thyroids at length.

there is also a first aid for dogs document there, extract attached

post-2706-1211046842_thumb.png

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest LokisMom

The vet called today and said that Cole's thyroid test read as "normal" but didn't go into detail. DBF talked to him so he didn't ask all the questions I would have.

The vet wants us to keep him on the lowered dose for 3 weeks then test again. So I suppose we shall see.

Thanks again for all the responses :)

My Chloe is 68 pounds and is on .5 -- 2 times a day. It's a low dose but it is doing the job.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I've never had to use more than 0.8mg twice daily on a dog. I agree with your vet in backing him down.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg