Adios Treat

Guest houndstooth4

Guest houndstooth4

Treat passed away to the Rainbow Bridge this morning. To say that I am heartbroken is more than a paltry understatement. She was a part of me, and I of her. Surely my heart crossed to the Bridge this morning with her. I didn't know that it was possible to cry as many tears as I have.

That being said, I have been so lucky to have smiled the million smiles that I did because if her since she came home with us on December 30, 2000. She had us both wrapped around her dew claws from the very beginning. We had planned to pick her up and take her home to settle in quietly, however a bad snowstorm the day before had postponed Matt's brother's birthday party, and we were obligated to make a stop on the way home. After a stop at McDonald's where she ate her first French fry which instigated her lifelong love of "fine French cuisine" and picking out her very first collar, leash and coat, we stopped at the birthday party. Not knowing how she'd react to all the little children, we put her muzzle on her, and so she made her grand entrance in a new collar, coat and with a muzzle that said "Killer" across the nose.

She quickly developed an aptitude for being an ambassadog and attended many meet and greets. Treat was responsible for many greyhounds getting a home because people always fell in love with her. She would always go to meet and greets and work her little heart out.

Another of her jobs in retirement was being a therapy dog. She was a certified TDI dog as well as a certified READ dog. We joked that Treat didn't get enough attention at home and that she needed supplemental petting, so we took her to for visits to get attention. She always worked her magic, making people feel as if they were the one and only person in the world at that moment who needed her attention. She'd give that grin of hers, and possibly do a trick or two if we were willing to give her treats for them, but she didn't work for free.

Treat was always there for me, as well. I went through two battles with pneumonia and nerve surgery on my hand, and Treat always watched over me tirelessly. She was always glad to hold down my blanket and keep me company on the couch or bed. Never did she fail in that duty.

We have met so many wonderful people through our association with this little brindle dog. I have grown as much as a person from having known her. I learned about compassion and grace from our visits with those who were growing older, and through watching her grow older as well. We got to help with a ballet where Treat was able to perform onstage, much to her delight. I lost a great deal of weight with Treat as my personal trainer, demanding to be walked every day. We've traveled to Michigan and Dewey Beach to meet people we talk to here online who shared our love of these wonderful dogs.

Treat and I had a unique bond; I swear that I knew what she was thinking. She would use those doe eyes of hers and she could get almost anything she wanted. She was first and foremost always The Princesse. Her personality always sparkled and she had such a funny sense of humor. I can still remember how outraged she'd get when we were getting ready to go somewhere and Matt would go back through the house to get his wallet or checkbook in the bedroom. She'd let out an indignant roo that he'd gone the wrong way and I'd hear snap, snap then Matt's yell as she nipped him in the seat of the pants. Yet, she never did it to me. She just knew her dad needed extra motivation to go in the direction she wanted him to go.

So, please join me in hoping that my little angel has found her way to heaven. Godspeed, Princesse! You'll always have my heart.

Adios Treat February 5, 1997 – May 5, 2008

SleepingBeauty.jpg

Edited by houndstooth4

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a wonderful tribute to such a sweet dog. I bet if she knows what you are thinking, she knows how much you miss her. And I bet she would tell you how fortunate she was to have you in her life and that she knows how much you loved her. She will always be with you. Allow yourself to grieve for this loss as she deserves it. Bless you for loving her and taking such good care of her.

Guest RavenRacersMom

Bless you...that was a beautiful tribute to Treat. Run free sweet Princess, run free. My heart goes out to you and your family.

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Treat :grouphug:f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest how888

I am so sorry to read this. What a special angel that once graced our Earth, now graces our Heavens.... Godspeed sweet one. You were so loved and will never be forgotten.

What a beautiful tribute for an amazing dog. It warms my heart when you talked about her being a therapy dog and Read dog. all of mine have been both of those as well and I know the importance that they bring to both grey and owner. Not to mention how many lifes that she touched while doing her "job". Run free sweet Treat. You will live on in spirit forever. My sympathy to you all.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I'm so sorry you lost your special girl. :cry1

Godspeed Treat.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Carrie, I know I posted to you on Paws Up 4 Greys, but I just wanted to send my sympathy here too. She touched so many lives, made people smile and feel less lonely, and had a special bond with the children. The world is a little grayer without the pink "Princesse", and I know you and Matt are heartbroken. Can you post those pictures here so everyone can see your beautiful fashion hound? Every time I saw a gorgeous pink collar or necklace or coat, I'd think, "Treat would look stunning in that." And of course, she knew how lovely she looked. And she was as beautiful inside as she was on the outside. She was indeed special.

Sharing your sadness,

Nancy and Doug

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest vahoundlover

:cry1 I am so sorry :grouphug What a beautiful tribute to your special girlie. Treat touched so many lives, I hope those memories will help heal your broken heart.

Godspeed Sweetheart :f_pink

Guest houndstooth4

But of course! How could I have forgotten the pictures?

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all of the kind words!

prettypuppics007.jpg

prettypuppics008.jpg

HerHighness.jpg

TreatsPrincesseCollar.jpg

treathallow03018.jpg

Treatandthebunny.jpg

EasterBonnetgirls046.jpg

What a beautiful tribute you wrote, Carrie. It made me weep like a baby. I never met Treat but she sounds like an amazing, amazing hound. And of course, she was your girl. Gone, but never forgotten. I'm so sorry for your loss.

:grouphug:f_white:grouphug:f_white

Run free, sweet girl. :gh_run2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.