Worst News Ever...

Guest Laura76

Guest Laura76

Today has been a VERY difficult day for me and Ken. After a few days of limping Ken took Darryl to the vet (I only trust Pembroke Animal Hospital). After 2 Xrays we were diagnosed with Osteoscarcoma (Bone Cancer). Need less to say, I haven't stop crying all afternoon. The vet said because we brought him right in, we caught it early. However, she did say, even if we did amputation and chemo, we would be lucky to get another 4 months out of him. I have always been a firm believer that both of these things are for the owners and are NOT for the dog. Because I am NOT removing his leg, we might be able to get another month out of him. As long as the pain meds keep working. I gave it to him as soon as we got home this afternoon and he is not as withdrawn and isn't limping (but also isn't his normal self)

On the X-ray Ken said the vet pointed out a long white line going down the bone, which is the cancer. The shoulder is where it started and the bone density has already changed. She said also there is something in his chest cavity that should NOT be there. Unfortunately, she said to find out what it is would require us to open him up, but he would never survive the surgery she said since he is 10 years old and already in severe pain. She says it has metastasized and she wants us back in two weeks to see how fast it is moving. She said we should have about 2 weeks of good cuddle time left. I am NOT READY to give him to the rainbow bridge. I am very angry with the world right now and I don't want to let him go.

Please tell me what to look for. This is my 1st dog of mine that i have owned as an adult. I am not ready to say goodbye. Nor can I stop crying

~Laura

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. My heart sank when I saw your heading. If it's already spread, you really can't do anything else but pallative care. I wish you strength. Remember he doesn't know he's sick, so cherish your time together. The memories will really help heal you. :grouphug

Do you know about Circle of grey? It's a greyhound cancer support group. Join -- it will really help.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest Mommydog

I'm so sorry :grouphug All I can tell you is keep him comfortable, spoil him rotten and try to enjoy your remaining time with him as much as you can, and take tons of photos, you'll be glad you did later. He'll tell you when it's time for him to leave.

I'm so very sorry to hear this, Laura, and can identify completely with the shock, anger, and grief you are feeling. I've lost two dogs to cancer, not osteo, but hemangiosarcoma. I didn't face the decision re: amputation, but I fully understand your feelings and believe it is an individual and personal one to make.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people here who have had experience with osteo and I'm sure they will offer their advice about pain medication and what to expect.

:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Laura76
Oh. My heart sank when I saw your heading. If it's already spread, you really can't do anything else but pallative care. I wish you strength. Remember he doesn't know he's sick, so cherish your time together. The memories will really help heal you. :grouphug

Do you know about Circle of grey? It's a greyhound cancer support group. Join -- it will really help.

What is the circle of grey? Can you tell me where and what it is? I have such anger right now for the world. He is a sweet innocent (but dumb LOL) dog. He was my 1st greyhound and I am just dumb founded. The 1MG of adivan isn't doing a damn thing for me either.

I am so very sorry that you are going through this. We lost our first chip, Troy to this disease last year. There were other health issues so in our case, it was as quick as hitting a brick wall at full speed. I didn't get to have a chance to join the Circle of Grey, but I would have had we had time.

I wish you all the strength. All I can say is take it one day at a time. Hugs to Darryl.

Guest greytmonty

What is the circle of grey? Can you tell me where and what it is? I have such anger right now for the world. He is a sweet innocent (but dumb LOL) dog. He was my 1st greyhound and I am just dumb founded. The 1MG of adivan isn't doing a damn thing for me either.

Circle of grey is a wonderful supportive website for greyhound folks with dogs with osteo.

circle of grey

I wish there was even just one word that I could say that would bring you comfort. But there just isin't.I have no experience with cancer to offer, but plenty with losing a best friend. And I think despite all the emotions you will be feeling, you will find the strength to be strong for Darryl, I know you will because you love him so much. May he stay comfortable and pain free, and may you find peace. My heart really breaks for you.

Be careful with Ativan if you're taking it and moving around.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Greytmonty just posted the COG site. The first day hits you like a ton of bricks. I remember asking if it could possibly be anything else when I heard the diagnosis about Snickers. Be strong for your Darryl. He needs you.

Edited by Aerosmom
Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

I'm so sorry Laura :cry1

I have no advice to give, just wanted to send you :grouphug :grouphug.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

OMG- I am so sorry. Hugs to you both. There are just no words.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am sorry for the diagnosis. I can only offer sincere wishes for pain free days for your grey and warm hugs for you.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest HeatherDemps

I'm so sorry this is the diagnosis- I know all too well how devestating it is to hear this. I second the suggestions of joining Circle of Grey- it has been a lifesaver for me as we have gone through diagnosis and treatment. We did make the choice to amputate and do chemo, but it had not already moved to the lungs yet. Prior to the surgery, we found a combination of Rimadyl and Tramadol to be effective for managing the pain.

I wish I had some words of comfort but I don't think there's anything I can say that will help make this better. Prayers for you and your family....

Guest Laura76

We are wondering how long the pain meds will keep working? He is on Provicot and Tramadoly?? I think those are. Once the anti inflamatory wears off should I ask for Rymidel?

i'm so sorry. pleae contact Dr. Couto at Ohio State for his input. A second opinion never hurts, even if it is exactly the same as the original diagnosis.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest HeatherDemps
We are wondering how long the pain meds will keep working? He is on Provicot and Tramadoly?? I think those are. Once the anti inflamatory wears off should I ask for Rymidel?

I believe Rimadyl is also an anti-inflamatory. I know the Tramadol can be increased as needed but you'll want to check with your vet on the amount. I'm not sure how long they'll work.... We started Dempsey on the meds on 12/21 when we found out it was likely osteo. Surgery wasn't until 1/16. If I remember correctly, we didn't have to start increasing the Tramadol until after the surgery.

I'm so sorry. You've been given some really good advice. Join COG for you, it helps to know that others understand what you are going through.

He doesn't know how sick he is, so enjoy what time you have left. Spoil him rotten and take lots and lots of picutres.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest TBSFlame

I am so sorry. I have lost 2 greyhounds to osteo. I got 5 months with Beecher but only 2 months with Hawk. You are in my thoughts.

They are given to us as a gift, a temporary gift. We somehow know going in that our time with them is finite. Limited to a lifespan that does not match ours. Somewhere in the back of our mind we know that we will have to say goodbye to them before we are ready to. Yet many of us choose to repeat this lesson over and over again knowing that the end of it is the same. Saying goodbye again. That is because we know and understand that our hounds, your hound, gives you an unlimited supply of love, companionship and joy during their stay with us. They make us laugh. They teach us tolerance, sharing and compassion. The joy that they give us is so much more valuable than the pain of having to say goodbye. Love Darryl and spend what time you have left with him and think of the joy that he has given you. And remember it when you say goodbye.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I'm so sorry to hear your news. :cry1 Definitely join the Circle of Greys group and get guidance as to treatment, meds, timeframes, etc. there. If you're not going to amputate, then good pain control with meds is critical for quality of life. You might want to send the x-rays to Dr. Couto at OSU for a second opinion to confirm the diagnosis. This is a very heartbreaking road to travel, however many of us have made the journey with our beloved hounds and can offer you support and a shoulder to cry on. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.