Hershey Has Lymphoma

Guest HersheysMom

Guest HersheysMom

I know I haven't been on the board much these days....Hershey was having so many issues lately it was just getting too overwhelming for me to post all of the details, but now that we do have a diagnosis I wanted to update everyone.

Hershey has been losing weight for several months, but much more quickly in the past 2-3 months. What complicated things more was the fact that he had been losing muscle tone due to hip and hind end issues, which he is seeing a chiropractor for. On top of that, he was fighting two different tick borne diseases and suffering from kidney disease, so we had attributed the weight loss to any or all of these things.

He was doing very poorly last week and was admitted to the hospital, where he stayed for several days and was kept on supportive care and had several tests run, and we now have a definite diagnosis of hepatic lymphoma. My husband and I have decided to pursue chemotherapy, and he had his first treatment today. He's doing better at home now with the meds they gave us and seems to have tolerated his first treatment well.

Unfortunately, while lymphoma does respond well to chemo, it is a lot tougher when it is in the liver - the prognosis they gave us with chemo was 5-6 months.

We'll take it day by day. If he doesn't fair well we will abandon the chemo, but for now he's really shown improvement over the condition he was in last week.

Please keep him in your prayers. Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so very sorry. :grouphug

We used milk thistle for liver support for Dylan when he went though chemo.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I'm so sorry. I hope the chemo will work.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Oh No. I am so sorry.

He will of course be in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Winterwish

Oh I'm so sorry Carolyn. I've been thinking of Hershey and was going to ask you how he's doing tonite.

Your sweet boy Hershey is in my thoughts and prayers for having many more days of snuggles and scritches with you. :dogcookie:grouphug:hope

Edited by Winterwish

Guest Carla

Oh Carolyn,

I am sorry to hear this news. Take each day as it comes and enjoy every second you have with Hersey.

Give him a big hug from me.

And hugs to you and your husband too!

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Oh man. I am so sorry. After all of the help you've been to me and gus, I wish there was somethign I could do for you.

Keeping positive thoughts with you.

Guest gretzky

Oh Carolyn I am so sorry to read this. I know how hard you've been working to try and get some weight on him and had started with the chiropractor. Thankfully it sounds like he is doing a little better now. I hope he continues to tolerate the chemo and makes good progress.

If there is anything I can do just let me know. Lots of prayers for Hershey, and you, John and Sonie too.

I'm sorry to hear your news too :(

Sending lots of good wishes for Hershey!

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I'm so sorry :cry1 I hope Hershey does well on the chemo. I will be keeping you and Hershey in my thoughts. Make every day count. :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest ss556

Hershey is in our prayers and has been. Hoping he is happy at home and he does well with the chemo. You have done so much for him, he is very lucky to have you:)

:bighug:hope:candle

I am so sorry. Our Angel LaceyLaine battled Lymphoma. It was in all her nodes and liver. We also did chemo. If I can help in anyway...Please let me know. It was a time of many ups and downs and we did find some meds to help with her appetite and nausea. I am so sorry. Hug Hershey for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending prayers for Hershey. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Hershey.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown